Anybody want to buy my engine tray?

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
philS2
1st Gear

Anybody want to buy my engine tray?

Post by philS2 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:57 pm

I bought this in may last year.
But either it's not right or some of the <beep> that have worked on my car have removed the mounts.
Part number 4B3 863 831 C.
I can't be assed to mess about no more, as it already has a smaller tray that covers some of the engine
As you can see, I've added vents(bit pissed up) at the front rather than mesh, and fine mesh over the original scoops.
Comes with 12 fixings.
I'll take £150 for it.
I'm going back (from Scunthorpe) to Dungeness on Monday morning (25th Jan) and hopefully taking the Rs6, as I want to go to MRC on Monday 4th.
If someone wanted me to make a slight detour on Monday morning, I can do.
Or after that, Monday the 4th when I head back to Scunthorpe (if MRC can't fit me in).
If I do go to MRC on Monday the 4th it'll probably be afternoon when I can deliver.
I can't upload the receipt or the photo with the label.
I guess it's with them having numbers?
It cost me £279.
Damn, that was hard work.
Cheers, Phil.
Attachments
20190223_211218.jpg
20190223_211024.jpg
20190223_210926.jpg
20190223_210912.jpg

V!per
3rd Gear

Re: Anybody want to buy my engine tray?

Post by V!per » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:30 pm

I'd be interested - mine has been torn in to pieces

philS2
1st Gear

Post by philS2 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:40 pm

You might have a couple of pm's.
Couldn't tell if it sent or not.
Where abouts are?

V!per
3rd Gear

Post by V!per » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:18 pm

Weird - don't have any messages. I wrote one to you - see if you got it.

I live at HP5
Last edited by V!per on Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:25 pm

I'd change that to HP5 if I were you.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

philS2
1st Gear

Post by philS2 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:22 pm

Thanks Shop.
I know I'm like a small fish in a big pond on here.
I've read this forum back to front(from 2003 to present), twice now, and the regular posters/gods like yourself on here have,
1) Made me LOL, on MANY occasions.
2) Been VERY informative.
And 3) Pulled up (sharply) anyone who made a grammatical error (I just hope I haven't made any writing this).
I can just see you scanning it, looking for one now. :mrgreen:

philS2
1st Gear

Post by philS2 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:35 am

Sold to viper now.

Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Post by Weiß-sechs » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:43 pm

philS2 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:22 pm
And 3) Pulled up (sharply) anyone who made a grammatical error (I just hope I haven't made any writing this).
Never start a sentence with "And"

:lol:

philS2
1st Gear

Post by philS2 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:26 pm

That's what I was always taught too.
So my mate Google came into play and.....(cut and pasted)
For many of us, our English lessons at school were marked by the stern admonition: ‘Never begin a sentence with a conjunction!’. I was taught this ‘rule’ as a grammatical diktat back in the 1970s, and a quick trawl of the Net shows that the same advice is still being handed down to English students on many websites.

And yet perfectly respectable writers employ this disputed usage, and have done since Anglo-Saxon times. Many grammar and usage experts have also tried to squash this myth, but it seems to be set in stone. Here’s my own attempt to chip away at the foundations of this grammatical ‘superstition’ (as Henry Fowler terms such mistaken beliefs).

Conjunctional clarifications
To find out the rationale (if any) for the ban on introductory ands (and buts, and even becauses), let’s go back to basics: what’s a conjunction and what role does it play?

A conjunction is a word such as and, but, because, while, until, although, or if.
Conjunctions are a class of word used to link sentences, clauses, phrases, or other words.
There are two main types of conjunction:

A coordinating conjunction is one that joins elements of a sentence that are equally important. English has just seven of these: and, but, for, nor, or, so, yet.

You can remember the coordinating conjunctions by arranging their initial letters into a handy acronym:
F[or] A[nd] N[or] B[ut] O[r] Y[et] S[o].

Coordinating conjunctions link words:
Many soups also include potatoes or dumplings.
noun coordinating conjunction noun
phrases:

Serve the ribs with creamy mashed potatoes or crusty white bread.
noun phrase coordinating conjunction noun phrase
or clauses:

I can do simple stuff, such as peeling potatoes or chopping leeks and apples.
subordinate clause coordinating conjunction subordinate clause
So much for the elements of a sentence – below I’ll also look at sentences themselves.

All the above examples of coordinating conjunctions show connection between elements of equal status in a sentence.

Subordinating conjunctions, on the other hand, link a main clause of a sentence to a subordinate one (i.e. the subordinate clause doesn’t mean anything on its own – it needs the main clause to complete the meaning).

This type of conjunction includes the words because, until, unless, since, if, and although.
Here are some examples:
He has the respect of the players because they know how good he is.
main clause subordinating conjunction subordinate clause

He says he has the team shirt, although I’ve never seen him wear it.
main clause subordinating conjunction subordinate clause

If you have a complaint, write to the director.
subordinating conjunction subordinate clause main clause
As you can see, subordinating conjunctions can be placed at the start of a sentence with no breach of grammatical ‘rules’. But what about ‘because’? More on this special case below…

So…can we start a sentence with and?
So the heart of the ban on starting a sentence with ‘and’ or ‘but’ seems to lie in the fact that they are coordinating rather than subordinating conjunctions, and as such are typically used to link elements of equal status within a sentence. The argument against using ‘and’ or ‘but’ to introduce a sentence is that such a sentence expresses an incomplete thought (or ‘fragment’) and is therefore incorrect.

However, this is a stylistic preference rather than a grammatical ‘rule’. If your teachers or your organization are inflexible about this issue, then you should respect their opinion, but ultimately, it’s just a point of view and you’re not being ungrammatical. If you want to defend your position, you can say that it’s particularly useful to start a sentence with these conjunctions if you’re aiming to create a dramatic or forceful effect. As the following examples show, the introductory conjunction gives more weight to the thought expressed in the sentence (a comma would be far less emphatic):

It’s a pretty smart and progressive budget. But do you think those changes go far enough?

Some people are calling this film the worst movie ever. And who are we to argue?

Putting ‘but’ or ‘and’ at the start of a sentence is also an effective way of showing surprise:

Dworkin’s answer is no. But why not?

Who would have thought it? And is it really true?

You could also refer to the fact that you’re in very good company (examples can be found in the work of writers such as Susan Sontag, Vladimir Nabokov, Kingsley Amis, P.G. Wodehouse, and Albert Einstein) and that highly respected grammar and usage guides (such as Fowler and Garner) all agree that it’s a perfectly acceptable practice.

Just a word of warning, though: although you now have grammatical ‘permission’ to start a sentence this way, don’t go overboard! It’s perfectly acceptable to use this device judiciously, but remember there’s no value in separating short statements with full stops when you’re not intending to make an emphatic effect:

X They walked to the top of the hill. And then they had a rest. And ate their sandwiches.

Hoorah! But hang on a minute, what about ‘because’?

Because I say so!
‘Because’ is a subordinating conjunction, and as we’ve seen, these are perfectly acceptable at the start of a sentence. While no one objects to a sentence that starts with ‘if’, ‘although’, or ‘since’, ‘because’ is a different kettle of fish. Many of us have been taught the same ‘rule’ as for ‘and’ and ‘but’, banning us from using ‘because’ to introduce a sentence.

This probably stems from the fact that teachers find that younger students may open a sentence with ‘because’ but only follow it with a subordinate clause – that is, they tend to write in short bursts, rather than complete the thought with a main clause in the same sentence:

X We went swimming. Because it was so hot.
Sentence subordinate clause
All you need do to avoid such an incomplete fragment is to link the two together to make a logical progression of thought in the same sentence:

√ Because it was so hot, we went swimming.
subordinate clause main clause
Moreover, in day-to-day speech you’ll often find ‘because’ at the start of an answer to a question, whether spoken or implied. Most people will recognize ‘Because I say so!’ as an exasperated parental response to continual questioning by offspring, and few would think it was ungrammatical. And finally, probably the most famous example of an introductory ‘because’ is to be found in the advertising slogan ‘Because I’m worth it!’ (perhaps replying to an implicit question ‘Why spend all that money on cosmetics?’).

But have I succeeded in debunking this particular myth? I sincerely hope so (and yes, I’ve been deliberately sprinkling introductory coordinating conjunctions throughout this piece!). :biggrin3:

V!per
3rd Gear

Post by V!per » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:35 pm

jezzzasss - I stopped at 3rd line :D :D :D

Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Post by Weiß-sechs » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:41 pm

10710565_10152335321301415_4807339087492036925_n.jpg

philS2
1st Gear

Post by philS2 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:48 pm

:jump: That's quality.
'But' you must have cared, then got all embarrassed. :wink:

ahoooga
5th Gear

Post by ahoooga » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:05 pm

And ?

Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Post by Weiß-sechs » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:21 pm

philS2 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:48 pm
:jump: That's quality.
'But' you must have cared, then got all embarrassed. :wink:
Lol, yeah, I was a bit embarrassed tbh...embarrassed that my daft little throw away comment has caused another forum member to waste their time with such an overly researched, overreacted reply. Sorry dude...maybe get out more? :beerchug:

philS2
1st Gear

Post by philS2 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:50 pm

:lol:

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”