Suspension Options

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
R5XVB
2nd Gear

Re: Suspension Options

Post by R5XVB » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:30 pm

Picking it up tomorrow and asked the garage to keep the old coilovers, let you know.

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:47 pm

Just a snippet of information regarding shockabsorbers , for the informed i apologize for teaching mom how to suck eggs , for the less informed here is a rule of thumb for buying shocks whether replacement sport or coil over types , there are 2 types of shock absorber principals MONO TUBE and Dual tube . The MONO tube design was invented for Racing cars and allows the shock to be mounted upside down in the car to lower unsprung weight , ( a dual tube shock can only function the right way up to an angle of approx 40 to 45 Degrees . The MONO tube shock needs 25 to 30 Barr pressure inside to function correctly and stop what we call cavitation and airation . The 25 Barr is what people are feeling as a harsh ride because 4 shocks with 25 bar in them will affect ride quality , Bilstein ( good make ) only do mono tube shocks in their performance range B6 and up . this is why you see a lot of comments from Bilstein owners regarding harsh rides . its unavoidable . Before the Bilstein fans tear me to pieces , ride quality is a personal thing and like it ot not generally driving a sporty car doesnt necessarily mean it has to be uncomfortable to achieve superior handling . KONI and KW focus on performance with out compromising comfort and thats why they are popular . they only use DUAL TUBE shocks and even though some of them have a tiny amount of Gas in them its really only done to please the market . These shocks are so well designed they can achieve the desired affect with out Gas , and there will be no airation of the oil or Cavitation . Heat management in a shock is important as they get really hot. the heat is the Kinetic energy of the suspension movement converted to heat and dissipated by the shock . dont touch one after a very hard ride on bad surface the shock will be extremely hot . Here at CRS / Maximum motorsport we understand what clients want and need and thats why we exclusively sell KONI and KW as these are the corrrect products for Sport Audis .

Capt Ric
3rd Gear

Post by Capt Ric » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:40 pm

Shockerboy,
Thanks for the info, I now consider myself better informed.
But I'll be sticking with my (so far) reliable DRC!

MeTsU
2nd Gear

Post by MeTsU » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:44 pm

Thanks Shockerboy, interesting. Would remote reservoirs also aid in cooling?
2004 Audi RS6 Avant Plus #283

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:17 am

Metsu , excellent question . external reservoirs are normally used when shock oil volume is low and the oil works really hard , The oil is over stretched in applications where the space available in the suspension design dictates that the shock is small and simply can not hold enough oil , or the application is in a vehicle where the shock shaft speeds are very high ( off road racing , track racing , very rough roads driven at hi speed ) . If the shock oil gets too hot the oil becomes thinner and the valve forces are lowered , this is far from optimum and in these cases shock manuafcturers will add an external canister to cool the oil more .
Having said this replacing a normal shock in an Audi with a shock with an external canister will give no real benefit other than cosmetic bragging rights .
Quality performance shocks fitted to most modern cars are more than capable of coping with the heat created . Fitting cheap far east made suspension kits with external canisters is actually telling us that the oil pressure management or generated forces is so POOR that they cannot control heat and put canisters to help their poor design .
hope that makes sense .

MeTsU
2nd Gear

Post by MeTsU » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:04 am

Very interesting, thanks Shockerboy! Makes sense!
2004 Audi RS6 Avant Plus #283

Doofuss
Neutral

Post by Doofuss » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi guys, I’m in the same boat, thinking of putting coil overs on..is there a massive difference in terms of quality between the two bilstein sets, these two below..seeing as one set is pretty much twice the price of the other! (Deamon tweaks are slightly cheaper)

https://www.bilsteinsuspensionstore.co. ... 01%2F05%2F

Doofuss
Neutral

Post by Doofuss » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:08 pm

R5XVB wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:21 pm
Hokey-Cokey then, I’ve decided to go for the B14 Bilstein because of the huge price difference between them and fully adjustable, which (for me) would probably be over-kill. I’m running KW coilvers at the moment and shall update this thread later with feedback. Thanks all.
How are you getting on with the B14? They are the ones I’m swaying towards 😊

R5XVB
2nd Gear

Post by R5XVB » Fri May 03, 2019 9:17 am

Excellent, had to raise them by one turn and pin back the arch liner due to rubbing.

I’d say they could be a little firmer if you intend to push the car harder than daily driving but in consideration of the additional cost, not for me. A noticeable and more comfortable ride than expected.

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Fri May 24, 2019 11:16 am

Finally got around to getting the KW Street Comfort V1 coil overs fitted. They adjust for height only. I didn't want the fully adjustable as that's just a rabbit hole of experimentation and meddling. V1 seem to have come down to under £1000 for a set in a lot of places so I grabbed some.

First impressions are that they're a bit more comfortable than the Bilsteins I had on. I had the height adjustable only ones. They're not chalk and cheese at all. I was hoping for a lot better ride comfort. It's still too hard over many bumps. Over smaller imperfections they are better. You don't get every single ripple transmitted.

The Bilsteins had to start to get a bit more pogo stick under certain conditions so I think they were end of life.

With the roads around me being an absolute cocking disgrace it's very difficult to find any suspension set up that deals with it effectively without having to make it like driving a blancmange.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri May 24, 2019 12:52 pm

It would be nice if you could try before you buy. Like shoes.

The PSS9 are pretty good. Exactly the same ride comfort as a B7 RS4 on working DRC (sports+). Drove them back to back and was struck how similar they were.

Mine are set high so it’s easy to hit the bumps stops if you don’t see a road hump in time.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Fri May 24, 2019 1:37 pm

I'm surprised nobody has made some kind of simulator system so you can see how a car changes with different suspension set ups.

Bring back Driven and the jelly on a plate test.

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:08 pm

Srichards the KW V1 is more comfortable than the Bilsteins due to the MONO tube, Dual tube comments i made earlier in this thread . Unfortunately the lowering amount can also affect comfort , therefore if you are still bothered about the ride , you need to lift the car up a little and comfort will start to return

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:28 pm

Why does raising the car help with comfort?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:45 am

I assume the amount of suspension travel changes with set height. I need about 6 inches in either direction to cope with local roads (I'm not joking).

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”