Suspension Options

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Suspension Options

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:09 am

Yes. You raise the height by compressing the springs so you get less travel the higher the car is, counter-intuitively.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:50 am

At 160kkms my DRC system is clearly showing signs of fatigue (resonances, bouncy ride, low grip), so I'm following the discussion with great interest. From the above the Bilstein Pss9 kit looks like the trusted solution endorsed by many experienced drivers here, so there's a good chance this is where my money will go. However those KW variant 3 (35210053) with their rebound and compression damping adjustment capabilities look good on paper. What's missing is enough first hand feedback from drivers after years of use and abuse...
https://www.kwsuspensions.net/productfi ... erformance
RS6 C5 Avant 2003 Daytona Grey
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Steveo
3rd Gear

Post by Steveo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:02 am

Classik wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:50 am
At 160kkms my DRC system is clearly showing signs of fatigue (resonances, bouncy ride, low grip), so I'm following the discussion with great interest. From the above the Bilstein Pss9 kit looks like the trusted solution endorsed by many experienced drivers here, so there's a good chance this is where my money will go. However those KW variant 3 (35210053) with their rebound and compression damping adjustment capabilities look good on paper. What's missing is enough first hand feedback from drivers after years of use and abuse...
https://www.kwsuspensions.net/productfi ... erformance
Have you looked into getting the DRC serviced by a reputable independent? There can't be many cars left with DRC on them and if it was on mine, then I'd keep it!
RS6 C5, MTM

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:18 am

He'll really struggle to find someone competent to recharge the DRC in France.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:29 am

This is exactly what I intended to do initially, and I even went to the point of buying a full set of drc dampers. But then I quickly realized that finding anyone in my area with the proper tools and know-how is an impossible mission... Maybe a good time to cross the channel and say hello to my British friends ;)
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:30 am

Ha, Shoppinit just beat me to it!

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:39 am

If my car was on DRC I would build a recharge tool myself like the one someone on here did. I’d put recharge nipples on both circuits and a pressure gauge and keep a eye on it.

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:43 am

I don't have the space, tools & certainly the expertise & patience to do that by myself, but if I were you in my situation I would certainly do the same ;)

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:21 pm

Mine is on the KW and for what it's worth it's pretty good, but then I have nothing at all to compare it to. I also have zero idea if it's set up correctly as it was on the car when I got it.

Probably not a great deal of help other than letting you know it's not crap. It's relatively firm, but not to the point of being uncomfortable.

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:45 pm

Mark-RS wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:21 pm
Mine is on the KW and for what it's worth it's pretty good, but then I have nothing at all to compare it to. I also have zero idea if it's set up correctly as it was on the car when I got it.

Probably not a great deal of help other than letting you know it's not crap. It's relatively firm, but not to the point of being uncomfortable.
Thanks for the feedback, good to hear you're happy with the KW! Do you have the variant 3's ? May I ask for how long (time & kms) have you been using them?

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:46 pm

Yep, 3's. Without digging out the paperwork, I'm not sure how long they have been on the car, but I've owned the car for for just over 18 months and have done around 10k miles so far in it. I use it as my daily, back and forth to work and only a few weeks ago it came back from a week long trip around scotland and the highlands. It was a 6 hour drive just to get there from where I live.

Mountain roads were fine for the most part, obviously dodging the large potholes where I could, but hopefully your roads are a little better than the crap we have to drive on over here.

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:23 am

Quick update : just ordered a set of Bilstein B16 (kit #48-088688) along with the front and rear rubber struts. Got the kit at 1500€ on autodoc.fr, best price I could find, and they confirmed by mail the kit is brand new from Bilstein factory, sounds good to me.

What's surprising though is that, out of interest I checked the price again today and the kit is now at 2357€, which is almost a 60% price increase! :shock:

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:00 am

You sure that it wasn’t pricing it in Canadian Dollars?

/never mind. Just checked. 2357 EUR. Bonkers.

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:34 pm

Haha, no Canadian dollars but real Euros indeed. I suppose I was just lucky... or I just bought the last kit that no one wants, the one which has been lying in the dust for ages. :? Hopefully I took their 4€ insurance which allows to send the parts back at no cost with no question asked.

BreadmoC5
Neutral

Post by BreadmoC5 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:23 pm

I have read this thread with interest as I have PSS9s which have done over 40k and are at the very least in need of a re-build. I am seriously thinking of going down the Koni route with either after market or std springs (if I can find some). I have messaged @shockerboy on here but so far no response. Has anyone here recently bought the Konis and if so can you recommend a supplier and give me a rough idea of price? Cheers.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”