Starter motor

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Matt58
1st Gear

Starter motor

Post by Matt58 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:02 pm

Just had starter motor replaced on rs6 c5. Few weeks back the beast simply wouldn't stir, luckily car was at home and I had time to look at the usual suspects, fuel pump and starter relays changed back seat and carpets up to check poor pump connections and water ingress to the magic transmission box, but all dry and as should be. So after talking to another forum member I took expansion tank off to check for water damage to 150/200A fuses, but all good. So called RAC and after he had checked battery and relays etc and much head scratching, but like me thought it wasn't starter but some other electrical fault. Long story short, took it to local garage, new starter has sorted it.

PipRS6
2nd Gear

Re: Starter motor

Post by PipRS6 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:56 pm

Simple way to check if starter is faulty or not is to stick 12v on It with a set of jump leads. Not sure how easy they are to access on our cars as luckily haven't had to yet but usually you can get to the terminals ok with minor work. Just unbolt the leads coming from the battery (make sure to take negative off battery first) then stick a different battery onto the starter. Having a known working battery directly connected to the starter eliminates all other parts from the car so if it fails to turn then you know its the starter at fault.

Matt58
1st Gear

Post by Matt58 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:40 pm

Thanks for the reply, the RAC guy actually jacked the car up to see if he could get to the starter, but gave up, but he was still thinking it wasn't starter as I had told him car was showing no signs of not starting, no labouring, no strange noises. So decided to flat bed it to one of dads friends who is a good mech and apparently a bit of a wizard on the electrical side of things.

Matt58
1st Gear

Post by Matt58 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:05 pm

Thanks for the reply, the RAC guy actually jacked the car up to see if he could get to the starter, but gave up, but he was still thinking it wasn't starter as I had told him car was showing no signs of not starting, no labouring, no strange noises. So decided to flat bed it to one of dads friends who is a good mech and apparently a bit of a wizard on the electrical side of things.

Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Post by Ben_r1 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:23 pm

Was the starter an engine out job? :jump: :audibash:

Matt58
1st Gear

Post by Matt58 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:03 pm

Fortunately he managed to drop subframe remove alternator etc etc which ended up to be £500 parts and labour which I didn't think was to bad as I too had heard it was an engine out job. Another job ticked off, going to replace brakes and send of intercoolers to be recited and get headliner re stuck, have to done in the summer, more overtime needed, worth it though, love these cars.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”