RS6 Advice

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
DAF
Neutral

RS6 Advice

Post by DAF » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:46 pm

I am looking for advice on what I should do with my RS6.

In November a young lad ran into the side of my car at a T junction and dented both driver side doors (i'll try to add some pictures).
It was quite a gentle tap and only dented the bottom sections, no air bags were deployed and no other damage. Unfortunately the insurance company has written the car off as an uneconomic repair, Cat N (non-structural).

I now almost wish I hadn't claimed on his insurance, but at the time I was the innocent party, he could not afford to pay for the damage and I did not see why I should be out of pocket.
Is it worth me repairing, selling or breaking the car?
I don't really want to break it as the rest of the car is still solid, but it seems like it might be worth more if I sold off the engine, gearbox, coil overs, wheels and tyres etc as spares.

srichards
4th Gear

Re: RS6 Advice

Post by srichards » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:57 pm

How much is the cost of repair? Is the write off due to the insurance company adding in the cost of an expensive hire car on top?

How much would it cost you to find another one of equal condition? Does what the insurance company are offering you actually do that?

DAF
Neutral

Post by DAF » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:59 pm

IMG_5422.jpg
IMG_5362.jpg
IMG_5363.jpg
IMG_5364.jpg
IMG_5365.jpg

DAF
Neutral

Post by DAF » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:10 pm

The car can be repaired for around £1000 if I buy second hand doors, swap the workings and have the side blown in.

I am not sure if the hire car is added to the cost of the claim. If I knew it would be I would not have accepted it and as the claim has now gone through I think it is probably too late to question anything.

I am probably looking at around £8000 to replace the car but the insurance company are only interested in paying out, not interested in finding a suitable replacement.

This is the first time I have had any dealings with an insurance company so I may have made a few poor choices (like the hire car etc), will use it as a life lesson just in case it happens again.

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:49 pm

Bottom line has to be how much are they actually offering you ? Don't go by the lowest number they give you. Send them proof of other cars like yours. By this, I mean search and find all the highest priced cars and send those to them.

I honestly wouldn't take less than 10k for a payout.

Then buy it back and repair it :-)

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:34 pm

It's a saloon with a sunroof. They're like hen's teeth. £8k is shed money frankly.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... earTo=2005

Also there are a few garages in Yorkshire that always have these cheap. They're usually not good ones and the dealers are also rather shady from all accounts.

DAF
Neutral

Post by DAF » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:46 pm

I have already refused offers but they have now stuck at a figure and not prepared to go any further so have agreed the payout.
As I said, this is my first time claiming and have probably made mistakes but at least I have managed to get more than I thought they would pay.

I have also bought it back but not sure what I should do.
As it was a saloon and not as many were sold as Avants, I was going to keep it and wait for the prices to recover and use it as an investment but I am not sure a Cat N car would ever sell as easily as a normal RS6.

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:51 pm

If it's only going to cost a grand to fix I'd be fixing it straight away and enjoying using the car. Any money left over from the salvage and repairs can be put in the gearbox turns to mush fund.

They sulk if you don't use them. If you mothball it for too long it will just think of ways to bite you in the arse.

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:36 pm

As a official write off, it's not going to really be worth anything in the long run, but if it's a car you enjoy and like, then fixing it and keeping it is certainly going to be a good option. Or depending on how much they actually gave you, fix it and sell it cheaply and then gather the money the insurance paid out and the money from selling the fixed car and get another one ? If you are looking at future values ?

PipRS6
2nd Gear

Post by PipRS6 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:54 pm

Cat N write off is basically cosmetic damage. Yes it will devalue it at resale but typically by 10-15%. Not massively. If you have proof the car has been repaired properly and the car is otherwise clean and well kept then you shouldn't have a problem.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”