Gearbox Upgrades

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
R56WUF
2nd Gear

Re: Gearbox Upgrades

Post by R56WUF » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:47 pm

I’ve messaged a few overseas companies but I’m waiting on a cost from Grizz which I assume I won’t get until next year now.

Will keep exploring options over the festive period.
2004 C5 RS6 - Missano Red (the fastest colour...) - Departed
2004 C5 RS6 - Sprint Blue (the prettiest colour...) - Poorly

R56WUF
2nd Gear

Post by R56WUF » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:55 pm

Other thoughts are a new box, but this is negated by the car being tuned and decatted so I suspect that the two year warranty benefit wouldn’t be honoured. This is an easy check for any Audi dealer so it’s not as if it wouldn’t be picked up.

Grizz has said that his sub con can refurb the box but I’m awaiting details of what this would entail and any costs.

I would have been interested in an modification to an S Tronic box but Grizz has said this won’t fit so no point in exploring that any further.

I see the merit in going down a manual conversion from a power perspective but a) the cost even at £7k seems high to me, and b) I love the 5 speed box and the thunderous changes it provides. I do however like the feel of a dual clutch gearbox hence the S Tronic query to Grizz.

R56WUF
2nd Gear

Post by R56WUF » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:58 pm

chunky79 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:57 am
Surely someone over here must be able to upgrade these, it's just a gearbox! They don't do anything to the casing, it's only the clutch packs that get upgraded with springs and played, easy. And verters get built over here, no?
If I had enough time, I'd do them, nothing difficult.
I’m at a loss as to why there is no UK guru on these. It’s not like there isn’t a big enough market over here.

rs4wagon
3rd Gear

Post by rs4wagon » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:24 am

R56WUF wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:46 pm
8520 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:04 am
benh999 wrote:Just a heads up, this company said they would do a full manual conversion for under £7k

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2721568221

I messaged them and they said.......

Hi there,

We only convert the C5 RS6 to manual the correct way. Meaning no adapter plate, or drilling, grinding etc.

We use a complete replacement block and crank, the block bolts directly to the 01E 6 speed manual, and the crank accepts a V8 manual single-mass flywheel, and B5 RS4 clutch.

Cost of it all is £6995.

Many thanks
That seems too cheap, all things considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting cost as the eBay advert states a C5 RS6 should be £8,995?
that 9K incl engine box and converison to b5 chasse i think,so if its just manual conversion in c5 should be like half price which is about right,im doing one atm and no way it will cost more then 4K (incl labour),we using FTL box off 2.5tdi 2004 a6,its also oil cooled which i think will help,but as i said in other topic i have a friend who got fitted DQT box,hes running 650bhp and 850nm and its perfect so far,he going 800/1000m, this winter as he got gt28s on board

Neutral

Post by 8520 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:08 am

In USD to do things “right”

TDI rebuilt box with manual swap kit -3k
Steveken kit - 2k
Clutch of your choice - 1k
Labor - free to 4k depending on if you do it yourself.

6k in parts alone, unless you skirt the steveken kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03 RS6 sedan V8TT, 03 S6 Avant V8, 06 Touareg V8, 03 Silverado V8

All V8’s in my garage because America :mrgreen:

Astrosquirrel
3rd Gear

Post by Astrosquirrel » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:56 pm

Daveperc wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:36 am
it's only the clutch packs that get upgraded with springs and played, easy.
And uprated pump, modified pick up etc.

There's a whole lot of little improvements/mods that all have to work together. But I agree an uprate pack from Level 10 would probably cover most things.

Pretty sure Chester offer an uprated box, and I think AMD did, though I seem to recall no-one could find out what they actually did - there's a long thread on here somewhere!
I'm currently in the process of exploring options to upgrade the box and TC. I find nothing but really bad reviews and experiences, including cases of fraud by level 10. I found an instance where they basically left the box standard after the customer had payed for an upgrade.

Are there really no more options today? I'm based in Switzerland.

The other option I'm considering is what Shop advises: "rebuild as stock and start a slush fund". In which case I'll just send it to ZF.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:00 pm

How recent was that fraud case?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Astrosquirrel
3rd Gear

Post by Astrosquirrel » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:30 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:00 pm
How recent was that fraud case?
Not recent at all. 2008.

Here's the thread:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-rs4 ... e-1630334/

Also as old, but also as discouraging (non audi forum)
https://www.supraforums.com/forum/showt ... ion-Issues

From recent times I get barely any results good or bad. Has there been a change in business practices/ownership in recent years?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:53 pm

I believe remember hearing that there was a major change in management and practices, possibly following that nonsense and that things had greatly improved, but I don't have any hard facts for you. I will have read it on one of the forums or maybe someone on here told me.

Did you find any more information about the place in Poland for gearbox upgrades that someone was talking about recently on here?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Astrosquirrel
3rd Gear

Post by Astrosquirrel » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:04 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:53 pm
Did you find any more information about the place in Poland for gearbox upgrades that someone was talking about recently on here?
So far I've only seen a couple of posts about it, no concrete information. I've also seen the posts about that bloke somewhere in England who seems to be quite the guru, but will only work on the car itself.

It's looking more and more likely that I'll end up going the ZF way :thumbsdown:

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:12 pm

You could just get an exchange remanufactured box direct from ZF. This is effectively a brand new box except for the casing. Then do frequent ATF and filter changes to keep it tip-top.

Astrosquirrel
3rd Gear

Post by Astrosquirrel » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:17 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:12 pm
You could just get an exchange remanufactured box direct from ZF. This is effectively a brand new box except for the casing. Then do frequent ATF and filter changes to keep it tip-top.
If research doesn't throw any better alternative, that's pretty much what I will end up doing I think. The box's lasted this long without any sort of rebuilding. Would have been nice to have more peace of mind though.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”