PRNDS fault sanity check.

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Gripper1
2nd Gear

PRNDS fault sanity check.

Post by Gripper1 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:42 pm

On my way to pick the car up from the garage.

Over the last 2 years had the odd PRNDS error where all the gear selections go red. This is following nothing happening when selecting drive for a moment followed by a clunk and the error making itself known. Turn off, back on and all good, sometimes not seeing it for months.

Recently the fault has started making itself a bit more known.
I can hear a clunk between forward and reverse, but assumed that was a CV joint on its way out.
So I put the car in to check the drivetrain as there is quite a lot of drivetrain shunt and the garage tells me the clunk is coming from the box.

Another thing I've noticed just recently when selecting Sport it does not light up the indicator , but play a little with the gear selector and I can get it to light up and gearbox changes its operation to suit.

I will be getting VCDS on the car when I get it home, but I'm wondering if I maybe have 2 issues. The F125 switch and the gearbox is slowly on its way out. Any ideas?

When the car does not bring up the PRNDS error, it drives absolutely fine.

Any input greatly appreciated!

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: PRNDS fault sanity check.

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:29 pm

Might be more likely to be an issue with the selector mechanism / switch.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:31 pm

For the clunkIng, it might just be old ATF. When’s the last time you replaced the fluid and strainer?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Gripper1
2nd Gear

Post by Gripper1 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:41 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:31 pm
For the clunkIng, it might just be old ATF. When’s the last time you replaced the fluid and strainer?
It was playing around with the gear selector and getting the sport icon to highlight when pushing the gear stick slightly out of position that makes me think the F125 might be on the way out. Wouldn't be responsible for the clunk when the PRNDS lights up would it?

ATF is Approx 12K miles old as is the strainer/pickup. I'll get the car on the lift and have a check of levels and double check the fault codes. Car is on gearbox No2, and gearbox has done approx 70K miles. Roughly what gearbox No1 did before that was replaced..

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:02 pm

First gearbox probably didn't have a service though.
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:46 pm

With the Vagcom you can compare the selector position and the F125 position. Might give you a clue.

The clunking feels like a mechanical issue, but it could be something simple like wrong ATF or dirty valve body. I’d be less worried about that than, say, slamming into gear or slipping.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”