Engine noise.....

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Jayjay101
4th Gear

Engine noise.....

Post by Jayjay101 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:57 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7xN9Xs ... ture=share

Hi guys-So I’m at my wits end with this now I thought it was the power steering pump but I removed the aux belt and run the engine and it still making the same noise also I’ve stripped down the front of the car to see if anything is rubbing on the cambelt and nothing-could it be cam chains?? Sounds like sheet metal rubbing on a pully? Any ideas?? Thanks jay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c5 rs6 owner thats been known to cut the wrong wire.............

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Engine noise.....

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:30 pm

Gearbox ATF pump cavitation? You got the right strainer on it? The one with the short pickup pipe?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Jayjay101
4th Gear

Post by Jayjay101 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:47 pm

Shoppinit wrote:Gearbox ATF pump cavitation? You got the right strainer on it? The one with the short pickup pipe?
I’m not sure mate as I had someone else service the box last year-it’s never done it before-the sump on it is pushed up a bit but it’s been like that from the day I’ve had it-it’s started from the day I put the engine back in-you think the the sump has moved even more from sitting on the pallet when I had the engine out??

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:20 pm

It’s a possibility. Cavitation sounds a lot like belt noise.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

V!per
3rd Gear

Post by V!per » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:26 pm

Does it do that from a cold start ??
I had same noise with the gearbox pump - after about 5 min of starting cold it was producing exactly same noise. A quick service - oil and filter - and it was all back to normal.

Jayjay101
4th Gear

Post by Jayjay101 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:27 pm

V!per wrote:Does it do that from a cold start ??
I had same noise with the gearbox pump - after about 5 min of starting cold it was producing exactly same noise. A quick service - oil and filter - and it was all back to normal.
Yes mate! Think what I’ll do is change the filter and the sump pan for my other one that’s not had a wack and see what happens-seeing as you and Shop have both said the same thing can’t be far wrong

V!per
3rd Gear

Post by V!per » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:31 pm

here is the video of mine
https://youtu.be/wIIXjNofiJI

Guys actually thought the new hybrid turbos just gave up on the dyno runs :D :D

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:57 pm

The extra gearbox service certainly won't do any harm and hopefully will resolve your problem. Be wary of driving it before sorting this because the actuators will be starved of ATF and could accelerate clutch wear.

Get the strainer from TPS / Audi. The ATF, too. You'll need a new gasket, too.

Jayjay101
4th Gear

Post by Jayjay101 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:02 pm

Shoppinit wrote:The extra gearbox service certainly won't do any harm and hopefully will resolve your problem. Be wary of driving it before sorting this because the actuators will be starved of ATF and could accelerate clutch wear.

Get the strainer from TPS / Audi. The ATF, too. You'll need a new gasket, too.

I’ll pull the pan and see what the part number is on it because isn’t there 2 types?

It’s up on axle stands with the front off at the moment as I’m just about to fit meth when I solve this problem

Thanks again for the info chaps!

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:07 pm

Jayjay101 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:02 pm
I’ll pull the pan and see what the part number is on it because isn’t there 2 types?
Yeah, but it might be the wrong part. They are frequently confused with the generic 5HP24 type strainer which has a longer pick-up pipe. You need the RS6 specific strainer.

Jayjay101
4th Gear

Post by Jayjay101 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Jayjay101 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:02 pm
Yeah, but it might be the wrong part. They are frequently confused with the generic 5HP24 type strainer which has a longer pick-up pipe. You need the RS6 specific strainer.
Do you have the part number to hand? Or is it on the diy How too?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:16 pm

This is what I bought to do mine: 01L 325 429 B

£45 full whack price.

Jayjay101
4th Gear

Post by Jayjay101 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:32 pm

Shoppinit wrote:This is what I bought to do mine: 01L 325 429 B

£45 full whack price.

£30 for the gasket and £55 for the filter now Shop and £14 a litre for the atf

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:06 pm

That’s a worthless pound for you.

Jayjay101
4th Gear

Post by Jayjay101 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Shoppinit wrote:That’s a worthless pound for you.
Just pulled the sump in the box and this is how dented it is ImageImageImage

Fluid still really clear and little bit of furryness on the magnets-the o-ring seal of the filter was crap as soon as I unscrewed it it just fell off

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”