Who work out the logic of this one?....

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
PipRS6
2nd Gear

Who work out the logic of this one?....

Post by PipRS6 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:13 am

So on Saturday I get a bulb failure warning that comes and goes. All bulbs checked as working. Then another journey after its gone dark (and I have put my headlights on) and the warning changed to a brake light failure warning. When I get home and check the brake lights are on all the time the head lights are on. Turn the headlights off and brake lights work as they should. Do a bit of googling and there are a few places suggesting its a blown 15A fuse near the ECU. Had a look and its the engine management fuse. Looked ok but changed it anyway and all starts working as it should.
A) why would the engine run if the engine management fuse is blown? Shouldn't that knock out the engine management and stop the car running?
B) How does the blown fuse cause problems with the brake lights??

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Who work out the logic of this one?....

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:45 pm

Has it done it since?

Sounds to me like the ECU fuse was just coincidence. Which fuse was it exactly?

You've either got an earth problem at one of the rear clusters or a brake light switch issue. I'm guessing the latter, and intermittently.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

PipRS6
2nd Gear

Post by PipRS6 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:13 am

Shoppinit wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:45 pm
Has it done it since?

Sounds to me like the ECU fuse was just coincidence. Which fuse was it exactly?

You've either got an earth problem at one of the rear clusters or a brake light switch issue. I'm guessing the latter, and intermittently.
Yep you would be right... it has come back of course. I also noticed that when I brake with my lights off the side lights come on so definitely a short to the side light circuit. Will be pulling that apart at the weekend then!!

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:21 am

Starting to sound a lot like a ground fault. Should be fairly easy to sort.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

PipRS6
2nd Gear

Post by PipRS6 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:22 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:21 am
Starting to sound a lot like a ground fault. Should be fairly easy to sort.
I will pull the rear clusters out this weekend and see if I can find it. Fingers crossed its there and not buried deep in the harness somewhere.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:24 pm

If you’re really lucky you might find a water ingress problem, too.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”