Coolant temp gauge

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Coolant temp gauge

Post by Weiß-sechs » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Strange one...
I've owned the '6 for over 5 years now and covered many thousands of miles. Every time I've driven it, hot weather, cold weather, in between etc. the temp gauge goes to 90 degrees after a few minutes and sits there. Never ventured any further than 90C even during our recent hot summer and in stationary traffic. (I know there's some debate about how accurate the gauge is in telling the true temp but just saying I've never seen it above 90)
This morning with outside temp 1.5C, driving from cold start, the gauge took a couple of minutes longer than normal to reach 90, understandably, but then carried on past the vertical to sit just shy of 100C for the rest of the journey. Don't think it was in danger of overheating. What's that all about then? Thermostat? Anyone had similar?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Coolant temp gauge

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:35 pm

Thermostat, most likely. Don’t drive it until you can fix it.

Vagcom will give actual temp. There is the trick to display the temp on the climate controls, too. See FAQ.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Post by Weiß-sechs » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:56 pm

Cheers Shop, I'll check it out this weekend.
I was stuck in some very heavy traffic yesterday (M6, M56) for a long while but never budged over 90C. Just had full service too but not changed the 'stat.
Thanks.

Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Post by Weiß-sechs » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:59 pm

Update: just done the aircon display thing and let the engine tick over on the drive. All good; temp gauge went up to 90, ac display showed 92. So gave her a drive round the block, same. Went a bit further onto dual carriageway and gave it some beans, still good. Back on driveway and left idling for 10 mins checking fans and all good. Temp gauge never went past 90C, ac display showed max 98 then dropped with the fans running 👍
Temporary blip then hopefully, I'll be keeping a close eye.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”