Tyre inflaters, FFS!

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
srichards
4th Gear

Tyre inflaters, FFS!

Post by srichards » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Why don't they work on the RS? I'm now on my third. They all have similar problems. Either they don't read the pressure or they will read the pressure and then they're too pathetic to inflate the tyre to 40 psi.

The analogue foot pumps are massively inaccurate. I've got one that reads 4 psi under and one that is ok until you use it then it goes between fine and 10 psi (!) under. It makes it a total nightmare just to manage to keep tyres correctly inflated as nothing I have bought in the last few years is anything other than completely inaccurate.

I can't be fecked with fuel station air lines.

What is the solution?

Tried a halfords electric one. That won't inflate them at all but did read the pressure ok. That just sits there making thunk thunk thunk noises. I tried inflating a tyre from near flat and I think that killed it after being used for about 3 minutes as it worked a little bit then died.

Tried a michelin. That won't even read the tyre pressure and says 'Err' if you switch it on and try and inflate anything. Doesn't work on the other car either. This doesn't exactly fill me with confidence at all.

I can't find an electric tyre inflator with the lever style tyre attachment. They're all these stupid screw in ones that don't work. I've never had any good results with any of the screw in connector style pumps ever.

The michelin one was so rubbish it didn't even work on a michelin tyre.

Has anyone found a tyre inflater that actually bloody works and is actually reasonably accurate? Having to take the inflater off to check the pressure with another gauge because the inflater has a piss poor gauge is just a waste of time.

Alternatively is there a readout of all 4 tyres somewhere that is easily accessible by the dashboard info thingy to see what the pressures all are?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Tyre inflaters, FFS!

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:53 pm

The Vagcom will give you the pressures, but it's not ideal.

You will never find a little battery powered compressor that is remotely accurate except by total accident.

I personally use a proper compressor with a digital gauge that looks a lot like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tuisy-Inflator ... B0793R4966

I have found it to be accurate compared to other gauges I consider accurate.

I will never use a mechanical gauge again.

I do, use cheap Ring compressors https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-RAC610-An ... B0030FBSQ2 occasionally when I have no access to my proper mains compressor. I haven't had an issue with them, despite them being particularly cheap and nasty. None of those type of compressors like being used for more than a few minutes. If you have to inflate a tyre from flat then it's best to give it a rest every couple of minutes to cool down.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

daytonamart
5th Gear

Post by daytonamart » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:54 pm

Analogue foot pump and digital pressure monitor for me.
Gone B8.5 A5 Sportback Black Edition Plus Floret Silver
Current C6 A6 Avant Silver TDi S line snotter
Gone B7 RS4 Sprint Blue Avant
Gone 8P A3 Sportback Reflex Silver
Gone 8V A3 Saloon Daytona Grey
Gone B7 A4 Reflex Silver
Gone B7 RS4 Daytona Grey Avant

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:14 pm

I've got one of those el cheapo Ring ones. It's actually the only one that sort of works ok but is a bit wheezy above about 36 psi.

Normally they only need to inflate one or two tyres a couple of psi. It's rare they need any more. They're not even managing that.

I think I'm resigned to having to get a proper air compressor.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:43 pm

I have a Michelin one and works fine. I generally over inflate by 1 or 2 psi then use a seperate digital gauge to let air out until it hits the perfect pressure. Job done.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:44 pm

You are not connecting it before powering up are you?

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:22 am

No. Plug it in to the power socket. Connect it to the tyre. Reads 0 connected to nothing and still reads 0 when connected to the tyre and doesn't read anything during any time while attaching it to the tyre.

I've also tried it the other way. Connecting first then powering on. Same result. Just reads 0.0

bilko1
Top Gear

Post by bilko1 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:37 am

We use these at work along with a calibrated gauge https://www.screwfix.com/p/ring-heavy-d ... 0wodomIE2g They are good for 60psi out the box but ours have been modified to go to 80psi.
Avus Avant, RNS-E mk2 with sds and Bluetooth, Milltek, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Forge, ITG, A.C.E, Wagner, FBMFSW, MTM.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:40 am

Funnily enough I was just looking at that exact one on Amazon. It's 25 quid cheaper on Amazon.

/I should point out that I'm not an Amazon fanboy. In fact, I dread the day that they are the only supplier of anything left.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:11 am

Stop aRSeing around and buy a compressor. I bought one from ALDI, one of the best garage toys I've ever bought. Pumps tyres up quickly too, it also came with an accurate tyre pressure adapter.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-2-5-hp- ... 3223920500
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:28 am

Old fashioned foot pump and a digital pressure gauge for me
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”