Rear strut mounts

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
fukinavit
Neutral

Rear strut mounts

Post by fukinavit » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:00 pm

i am in the process of changing out the DRC on my winter ride to koni's

The rear strut mounts are looking a little rough due to corrosion, fortunately i have a brand new spare set from an A6 i had a few years back.

They are the same part number 8E0 512 121D , except my new ones are 'E', so i guess an improved part?

The main difference is the new ones are steel and the originals are aluminium, Were the ally ones specific to the RS6?, I was thinking of trying to find some better condition Ally ones but wondering if its worth the bother.
Thanks.
:assflash:

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Rear strut mounts

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:30 pm

You can't assume that the E is a more recent part than the D. If the last letter is different it could be totally different part and often is, even if the preceding part number is the same. Or it could be a more recent part. There's just no telling.

In your case, if it fits...
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

fukinavit
Neutral

Post by fukinavit » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:36 pm

When I put the number in google, everything pretty much said it's been superseeded by the "E" number.

I was just curious to see if this was a specific rs6 part or a change due to the material.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:41 pm

If you've got etka it will tell you if a part's been succeeded (and when) if you search the part number.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:49 pm

So E is for the V8 and armoured A6 quattros. D is for the other quattros. I'm guessing that the E is softer than the D. Or maybe it's a weight thing. Doesn't seem likely.

fukinavit
Neutral

Post by fukinavit » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:55 am

Thanks e everyone, I figured the RS has fancy aluminium Ones and all the standard stuff got steels, but I guess not.
Seems inconsistent on Audi's belalf, might explain why both mine have steel rear sub frames too but others have aluminium ones, :roll:

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”