Stopping the SAI pump getting water logged...

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
srichards
4th Gear

Stopping the SAI pump getting water logged...

Post by srichards » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:12 pm

So emissions light popped on again.

The SAI that I spent a fortune replacing a couple of years ago is now full of water again. It's been drained and it's probably survived. I know I can have it deleted but given the choice I would prefer to have it still there but at least shielded/in a case so that it doesn't get soaked.

Has anyone done this? Is it possible?

Or does someone make an after market alternative that is water proof?!

Rs6spec
3rd Gear

Re: Stopping the SAI pump getting water logged...

Post by Rs6spec » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:24 pm

Exhaust gas leaks through the valve on the back of the head... the hot gas then condensates in the plastic pump casing.. so I was told by a Audi MT.. makes sense I suppose.he also said they can be floooded by big puddles :)

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:08 am

Interesting. It has a drain hole in it so that's obviously not doing enough.

How easy is it to change that valve? If that valve failing is the actual reason then it's worth investigating.

I can see it could be possible to end up with another pump to get water out of the SAI!

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:48 am

Those valves are a royal PITA to change. One of them is very inaccessible with the engine in.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:50 am

If your combiner valve was leaking to the point where the pump could fill up with condensate then your lambda probes must be getting bad info and your mixture will be pants.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:11 am

Then it's mostly likely to be water ingress from non engine routes. Car is otherwise ok as far as I can tell.

I can see why these pumps get deleted!

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”