Is there any special way to refill the coolant? and what coolant do you use?

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
RS6Goals
Neutral

Is there any special way to refill the coolant? and what coolant do you use?

Post by RS6Goals » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:23 pm

Hi All,

Im in the middle of an engine pull to replace the transmission and I would like to prep on what I need to do after I have installed everything.

Normally I would just fill the radiator and begin "burping" the system BUT considering that this car seems to have a lot of little specifics done I figure Id ask.

Is there anything special I need to do to fill the coolant or would it be the same method I mention above?

and considering its Audi I take it I cant use the regular Autozone brand coolant.
Would Peak OET OE Engine Coolant be sufficient?

Otherwise, I guess I can go looking for some pentofrost.

Thank you

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Is there any special way to refill the coolant? and what coolant do you use?

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:55 pm

FON

You can pull the hose going to the heater matrix at the bulkhead (can't remember which one of the two) back about 1/2 inch or so to expose a little bleed hole. You should bleed here.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Re: Is there any special way to refill the coolant? and what coolant do you use?

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:06 pm

Yeah, as shopping said. Plus another 10mm bleed bolt on the hard coolant pipe on the RHS rear of the motor. All in the service manual.

Iirc any old orange OAT is fine.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”