4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
MR P
1st Gear

Re: Car back, not happy

Post by MR P » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:01 pm

MattV8 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:56 pm
On mine, I found it needs to settle a little and then be topped up - if there's any bubbles left, the pump makes the noise.
Does this happen every time to the steering after gesrbox or engine out and steering fluid drain ?

simonpoulton
3rd Gear

Post by simonpoulton » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:06 am

Yeah - the power steering pump is attached to the side of the engine, and the rack stays in the car. Also, if you take the front of the car off I think it needs draining as the the fluid cooler runs up the front of the radiator.
Current: RS6 C5 Avant, E60 5 Series, '78 Mini (Queued for restoration)
Past: R56 Mini Cooper S

V!per
3rd Gear

Post by V!per » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:31 am

Something has gone bang in mine. Came back from Poland yesterday. Everything was fine through all 1000 miles. No issues yesterday at all through the day.
This morning power steering is whining like a pig. lots of bubbles in the tank and I'm pretty sure the fluid level dropped. FFS!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Any specific fluid I need to top it up ??

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:18 am

Yeah. To be honest, I never put the lock carrier into service position for the cambelt job - I just pull the front off completely - it makes the car so much easier to work on and is only a few extra unions that need undoing and capping (although I suppose through that lens, an engine pull isn't so hard either). That said, it's not been off for a few years now - and it's due another cambelt this coming winter. Seems almost dumb replacing it after 4 years with such low mileage, but i don't feel lucky, punk.

I always find the PS system needs time to settle. It's a small capacity system, so once the oil gets aerated a little, that same aerated oil is circulated pretty quickly. In my experience, just leaving it for an hour after the first fill, start & top off and then topping it off & starting and checking again is enough time for the oil to settle and then all is fine.
MR P wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:01 pm
MattV8 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:56 pm
On mine, I found it needs to settle a little and then be topped up - if there's any bubbles left, the pump makes the noise.
Does this happen every time to the steering after gesrbox or engine out and steering fluid drain ?
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:19 am

Yes, there is a particular fluid you need - I think it's on one of the sticky posts.
V!per wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:31 am
Something has gone bang in mine. Came back from Poland yesterday. Everything was fine through all 1000 miles. No issues yesterday at all through the day.
This morning power steering is whining like a pig. lots of bubbles in the tank and I'm pretty sure the fluid level dropped. FFS!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Any specific fluid I need to top it up ??

PipRS6
2nd Gear

Post by PipRS6 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:14 pm

This stuff does the trick...
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engin ... _q=chf+11s

V!per it sounds like you have a leak. Mine was the cooler which had a tiny pin hole in it. Best bet is to put some fluid in there and see where it leaks from.

V!per
3rd Gear

Post by V!per » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:24 pm

PipRS6 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:14 pm
This stuff does the trick...
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engin ... _q=chf+11s

V!per it sounds like you have a leak. Mine was the cooler which had a tiny pin hole in it. Best bet is to put some fluid in there and see where it leaks from.
Might be the case - noticed some spots on the ground and the undertray appears to be wet. I hope this won't require the engine out. It appears to be in the front of the car.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:27 pm

It's unlikely to be the back of the car unless you're driving a fork lift :)

In seriousness, the unions into the rack itself are a pig to get to, but all the ones at the front are dead easy to access - probably nothing more than bumper off. And if it's the very front and somewhat central, it's probably the cooler, or a union on to it.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:36 pm

That doesn't look like the right stuff. If you put the red synthetic stuff in you could cause damage to seals.

You need the green mineral stuff for the C5 I believe. The green cap and "use mineral oil only" warning is a clue.

/edit: wrong, all wrong. Ignore.
Last edited by Shoppinit on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

V!per
3rd Gear

Post by V!per » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:49 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:36 pm
That doesn't look like the right stuff. If you put the red synthetic stuff in you could cause damage to seals.

You need the green mineral stuff for the C5 I believe. The green cap and "use mineral oil only" warning is a clue.
Yup - green stuff - got it from Audi steelers :D
Topped up now and will keep an eye on it

PipRS6
2nd Gear

Post by PipRS6 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:55 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:36 pm

Its green. And its the right stuff. On the label it says for use in applications requiring CHF 11S which is what we need.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:24 pm

The VW spec is VW TL 52 146.01. Part number G 004 000.

So as long as it's compatible with that it should be fine.

Looks like it's a synthetic oil so ignore what I said above.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

MR P
1st Gear

Post by MR P » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:30 pm

I went to audi and it was only eleven quid. Green, and they said they use the same fluid in all cars no matter the spec of model.
Power steering pump took 3 days to settle properly and now is silent again.
I did expect the power steering fluid to be eleventy seven or some <beep> but no eleven quid!!
They also want £271 for an oil change :))) lol. Which includes a look around....

HOWEVER, i turned the car on and something wasnt right. It banged into reverse then banged into gear. I switched off the car as the dash automatic lights were all on and switched car back on and all was back to normal.
Its never done that before.

simonpoulton
3rd Gear

Post by simonpoulton » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:08 am

Hows does the gear selector feel? Does it sometimes need a little nudge to pop it into reverse? Where the cable connects to the gear selector on the gearbox, the bracket is on a slider for adjustment (and it's taken off during the gearbox extraction).If that's out a little, might not be quite registering reverse is selected properly.
Current: RS6 C5 Avant, E60 5 Series, '78 Mini (Queued for restoration)
Past: R56 Mini Cooper S

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:36 am

The bang into reverse can be the transmission range sensor. If it's banging into gear then it's no good. Make Chester Autos sort it out. You don't pay a fortune for a gearbox rebuild to have it behave like that.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”