Car back, not happy

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
MR P
1st Gear

Car back, not happy

Post by MR P » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:28 pm

So eventually I picked my car up from Chester Automatics and the gearbox seems fine. However on the way home the steering did not feel right (nothing wrong prior to being taken up there).
So yesterday I drove it and the steering was whining a bit but today the whole thing is whining badly even driving along not turning left or right!
Should I ring Chester Autos and complain and ask them wtf has happened to my car after having it two months fitting the exhaust wrong, splitting hoses and whatever else went on I dont know about. Now the steering is fkd whinning its head off?? Ive never had a headache with any car like this is giving me from day one. Im fed up.
Any ideas on the steering noise or advice on moaning to Chester Autos?
Thanks much appreciated.

MR P
1st Gear

Re: Car back, not happy

Post by MR P » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:44 am

I will check steering fluid tomorrow as standard :rocker:

simonpoulton
3rd Gear

Post by simonpoulton » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:37 am

If they went for the engine out approach to do the gearbox, part of the engine removal process is draining off the power steering system. There may still be some air in the system after the refill and I sorted this on mine by popping it back up on the ramp and alternating the steering to full lock repeatedly. Also, if there was air in the system, the fluid level could now be pretty low. Also check under the nearside front bumper area to make sure those hoses are not leaking as well.
Current: RS6 C5 Avant, E60 5 Series, '78 Mini (Queued for restoration)
Past: R56 Mini Cooper S

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:16 am

^This. Make sure the wheels are in the air when turning lock to lock.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:15 am

Check power steering fluid level. I'd give them a call and just say the power steering is a bit whiney. If they did the whole job from start to finish then liability for problems is at least clear cut.

Is 2 months their normal turnaround time?

MR P
1st Gear

Post by MR P » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:29 pm

Thanks lads (and lasses ;)).

just checked the steering fluid and there is hardly any fluid in there. Phew. I hope its air gone and no leaks or pump. I can not see a reputable company like Chester Autos giving me a car back with a power steering fluid leak.

I will ring them and ask whether they tried to get the air out the system etc once it was drained in first place, but they probably did not.

Two months is about a month over but the exhaust was blowing and then they split some pipes and were waiting for the parts from Germany (so im told).

Also now (i should of replaced both) the other rear caliper is stuck. I just know. All ive ever owned is German and their rear calipers are <beep>. Lol

Have a nice day :))

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:23 pm

I thought Chesters only rebuilt the boxes, not the remove & refit?
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Post by Weiß-sechs » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:24 pm

I was under the impression that CA only refurb the 'box after it's been removed from the vehicle by a third party (or the vehicle owner obvs)
When I had mine done the actual spanner work was done by Unit 20 then swapped for a CA supplied recon... was a few years back though so the logistics may have changed.
That won't change your situation in the case of anything needing to be redone though. If you paid your money to CA and you're not happy, CA have to sort it out.
Hope you get happy again soon.
Last edited by Weiß-sechs on Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Post by Weiß-sechs » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:29 pm

MattV8 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:23 pm
I thought Chesters only rebuilt the boxes, not the remove & refit?
Jinx lol

MR P
1st Gear

Post by MR P » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:12 pm

Chester Autos have moved to new premises, my sat nav took me to the old place. The person at the old warehouse said they had moved about 3 years ago.
They did all the work in house but sent away the converter.
They also said after i rang up to make my feeling clear (along with a few extra scratches) that they has filed up PA steering and got the air out - obviously they did not.
I filled back up and switched it on then filled again. I waited 20 mins and the noise subsided. I then drove 15 miles to a mates and checked the level again. Still whi ning a bit but not like a supercharger! Level was fine. Iwaited at his and had food and drink and a little blast on Forza and got back in and drove home. The noise was quieter but there was still a little howl from under the bonnet - maybe the damage is done. I therefore presume that if this noise persists they owe me a new PA pump and fitting? I hope this is not the case but my steering sure felt dodgy for a col of days until a supercharger gate crashed the party!!

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:27 pm

How much did you put in? They take less than a litre iirc. Assume you also out in the right stuff ;)
Daytona RS6 Avant
Rule #36 - At least one gear shall be dropped for every tunnel travelled

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

simonpoulton
3rd Gear

Post by simonpoulton » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:49 am

Are there bubbles in the power steering reservoir still?
Current: RS6 C5 Avant, E60 5 Series, '78 Mini (Queued for restoration)
Past: R56 Mini Cooper S

MR P
1st Gear

Post by MR P » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:41 pm

Everything is back to normal with the steering now but took a cpl of days for the pump to recover it seems and the air to be gone.
Yes i put the right fluid in.
No bubbles now.
However im not happy that this happened, it should not have happened.
We will now see what the gearbox is saying over the next 12 months. Knowing my luck at the minute it will fk up.
Im also going to have to sell the car due to parking issues and ex issues. I can not park the car where i live and i can not afford to run this beast daily.

I will replace the other rear calliper, have it serviced by Audi to keep the fsh and have a touch screen fitted to replace the old dated one in the meantime - that is if nothing else crops up. Cant say fairer then that.
Im not going to officially advertise the sale of the car just yet (battling with the decision) but will be reluctantly tempted by the right offer to sell and trust me this car is a good one with so much spent keeping it well maintained.

MR P
1st Gear

Post by MR P » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:45 pm

5B236CC7-174C-4FB9-AFF5-EA96CE9CDD15.jpeg
Attachments
C972910E-D84F-497B-B40C-136A87709B7D.jpeg

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:56 pm

On mine, I found it needs to settle a little and then be topped up - if there's any bubbles left, the pump makes the noise.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”