Car back, not happy

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
MR P
1st Gear

Re: Car back, not happy

Post by MR P » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:03 pm

Exactly.
I will be on the phone to them Monday morning. The also did not get back to me when they should of. Pissed right off.
Owning this car must be like smoking crack. Pure heaven one minute and then everyones a c&&t the next! Its making me bipolar this car....

MR P
1st Gear

Post by MR P » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:11 pm

simonpoulton wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:08 am
Hows does the gear selector feel? Does it sometimes need a little nudge to pop it into reverse? Where the cable connects to the gear selector on the gearbox, the bracket is on a slider for adjustment (and it's taken off during the gearbox extraction).If that's out a little, might not be quite registering reverse is selected properly.
Yep exactly that, the button doesnt pop out on the lever, it not quite flush.

It did it again twice earlier, both times when starting her up. On both occasions the tiptronic and the paddle shift stopped working and I only had drive. No sport working. Then miraculously while still driving the sport worked and paddle shift and tiptronic came back to lift. After spending nearly 4k, including trailer and picking the fkr up, im not happy at all.

Now it would seem to get this sorted i will have to take it all the way back to Chester, if they accept they need to sort this out which they should!! So Pissed off.

Fan is also noisey when it cuts in, wasnt like it before and there are extra scratches round the front of the car. It would seem to me that they looked at the outside of the car see it filthy (under a tree for 3 month) and treated it like it looked - like <beep>.

MR P
1st Gear

Post by MR P » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:14 pm

srichards wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:36 am
The bang into reverse can be the transmission range sensor. If it's banging into gear then it's no good. Make Chester Autos sort it out. You don't pay a fortune for a gearbox rebuild to have it behave like that.
Yes dude I will try and get this sorted out. I will be ringing them Monday morning and asking for the manager/boss. Read the other reply to Mr Poulton also.

MR P
1st Gear

Post by MR P » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:25 am

Update - for those that give a toss.

Car is now leaking power steering fluid (not sure where from) and they are are also taking the car back under warranty due to the gearbox also being <beep>. Gearbox is not happy and does alsorts of strange things. Banging into reverse, ok if put in drive first on start up, sometimes sport and tiptronic not working and also bangs into gear sometime.
Going from a perfect gearbox to this is very noticeable. 😎
You never know someone might clean it for free....
Why me....

V6STR
Neutral

Post by V6STR » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:11 am

Fingers crossed buddy.
Sounds like you’re having a time of it.

All the best.

PipRS6
2nd Gear

Post by PipRS6 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:01 am

At least they are admitting fault and fixing it I guess. I doubt they will sort your power steering for free though. That could have happened any time. Unless its a loose fitting they haven't done up properly I guess.... Fingers crossed.

simonpoulton
3rd Gear

Post by simonpoulton » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:31 pm

The power steering can pretty much only be the front pipes, which are removed during the operation.

Feels like they skipped the road test, i.e. running it for a few days, putting some miles on it and sorting any issues. Always a good idea after major surgery. I left the undertray mine and it makes it a lot easier to spot any leaks etc.

Hopefully both these issues are just tightening / slight adjustments as they are pretty reliable for the actual internal GB rebuilds right?
Current: RS6 C5 Avant, E60 5 Series, '78 Mini (Queued for restoration)
Past: R56 Mini Cooper S

MR P
1st Gear

Post by MR P » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:52 pm

V6STR wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:11 am
Fingers crossed buddy.
Sounds like you’re having a time of it.

All the best.
Thanks

MR P
1st Gear

Post by MR P » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:56 pm

PipRS6 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:01 am
At least they are admitting fault and fixing it I guess. I doubt they will sort your power steering for free though. That could have happened any time. Unless its a loose fitting they haven't done up properly I guess.... Fingers crossed.
There was nothing wrong with car prior to them taking the car apart from the broken box and the steering was the first thing i rang up to complain about 2 working days later after i was sure.
They should and need to give me a car back fixed firstly and then exactly the same as i gave to them. They can say what they like but im just being honest with them and would expect the same courtesy and respect returned.

MR P
1st Gear

Post by MR P » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:10 pm

simonpoulton wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:31 pm
The power steering can pretty much only be the front pipes, which are removed during the operation.

Feels like they skipped the road test, i.e. running it for a few days, putting some miles on it and sorting any issues. Always a good idea after major surgery. I left the undertray mine and it makes it a lot easier to spot any leaks etc.

Hopefully both these issues are just tightening / slight adjustments as they are pretty reliable for the actual internal GB rebuilds right?

Well we will see.
To be honest if they road tested it properly they would of known there was steering issues. They had my car two months aswell! I can only imagine why it took two month; they did say the exhaust was blowing so had to take it back off and then they said they needed a cpl of new pipes they split. Grrrr...

MR P
1st Gear

Post by MR P » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:38 pm

So apparently Chester say they can not take responsibility for the diagnostic check that comes up with a switch on the side of the gearbox being at fault. This is the reason for the banging into reverse and not finsing tiptronic or sport mode. They say that they dont know that this was already doing this before i brought the car in to them. F&&kin C££ts!!😡 Im no liar. There was nothing wrong up until the box breaking.
They have fixed the steering pipe leak.
They also say they can fit the switch and will get back to me with a price.
The switch is apparently 200 quid but it means taking the exhaust off etc. Anyone know what they are talking about?
Much appreciated a vexed MR P!!

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:43 pm

That's the F125 transmission range sensor switch. I had mine done when mine started banging into reverse and doing a few crap gear changes.

Unit 10 aren't that far away from there. They'd be far better at sorting the car out.

MR P
1st Gear

Post by MR P » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:26 pm

srichards wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:43 pm
That's the F125 transmission range sensor switch. I had mine done when mine started banging into reverse and doing a few crap gear changes.

Unit 10 aren't that far away from there. They'd be far better at sorting the car out.
Yes your right mate, sorry for late reply. The steering fluid leak is now fixed and the gear stick lever aligned properly plus the range switch has now been replaced and the test drive was apparently positive.
So another 4 bills later and i will walk away with a my new wife this Saturday !!

PipRS6
2nd Gear

Post by PipRS6 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:52 am

MR P wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:26 pm
srichards wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:43 pm

Yes your right mate, sorry for late reply. The steering fluid leak is now fixed and the gear stick lever aligned properly plus the range switch has now been replaced and the test drive was apparently positive.
So another 4 bills later and i will walk away with a my new wife this Saturday !!
At least she will be back with you soon mate. Fingers crossed its plain sailing from here!

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”