Downpipe replacement DIY

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Downpipe replacement DIY

Post by Ben_r1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Just been quoted £600 labour alone + vat by MRC to have a pair of decat downpipes replaced, was also advised additional costs if any of the studs break. :shock:

I know it’s doable with the engine in and I’m a mechanic by trade, albeit of the HGV variety, but have little patience with messing around at the weekends on my own motors.

Anyone offer insight into what’s involved, how long it takes and general problems that arise? I have access to a pit but no car lift so it’d have to be done on the floor.

Thanks.

djbilbao
2nd Gear

Re: Downpipe replacement DIY

Post by djbilbao » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:19 pm

I replace mine by 200 cells 350 € the pair my engine was out of the chassis I heard it was fesable in tilting the engine on the engine mount and defes those of the box with a pits his should be playable but beware of the bolt flu without access it's complicated

Envoyé de mon FRD-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:51 pm

Basically undertray off, cat back off, might need take the rear prop flange off (would need refilling with diff oil if removed). Remove subframe bolts and tilt the whole thing down as far as it car go without breaking anything and bracing at the same time. Downpipe is arillbarely visible without removed some boost hoses, maybe some coolant hoses too. 3 bolts for downpipes off but not much access space at all. Studs normally snap and need drilling out, helicoil etc. Obviously lambda sensors and get sensors will need to be removed too and refitted.

Subframe needs aligning on the way back in.

Not something I wanted to do in the drive either. You can even see the bolts to remove them.
Daytona RS6 Avant
Rule #36 - At least one gear shall be dropped for every tunnel travelled

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Post by Ben_r1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:12 pm

You make it sound so fun...

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”