Yet more gearbox issues...

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Yet more gearbox issues...

Post by Weiß-sechs » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:40 pm

Couple of days ago I had the dreaded gear indicator display all lit up on the dash. No limp mode and drove fine in D and S but Tiptro wouldn't operate nor would gear changes via the paddles. Parked up that evening and had a shandy or two to drown my sorrows.

Started her up next day and all is well; no nasty illuminations on dash, gears all changing as they should, Tiptro and paddles doing their thing.

Had a scan today (not VCDS) and, amongst fault codes that I'm already aware of/not too concerned about atm, there are two TCM faults logged.

1.1 17095 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor 'A' Cicuit, Range/Performance-Passive/Sporadic.

1.2 18161 Tiptronic Switch - F189 Implausible signal-Passive/Sporadic.

Any ideas out there? (Go gentle with me :biggrin2: )

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Yet more gearbox issues...

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:45 pm

Just a wild guess, but sounds like your transmission fluid temperature sensor and tiptronic switch are playing up.

Doesn't sound too serious.

Clear them and see what comes back.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Post by Weiß-sechs » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:01 pm

Hmm...liking your insight there 🤔
So you don't reckon the F125 then? That'd be a different code nay?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Yeah, I'd be changing the harness and do an ATF change while I'm at it (since you've got to drop the oil pan). Then the tiptro one is weird. I need to look up where the F189 is. Suspect it's the gearstick position switch.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Ajc
4th Gear

Post by Ajc » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:47 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:08 pm
Yeah, I'd be changing the harness and do an ATF change while I'm at it (since you've got to drop the oil pan). Then the tiptro one is weird. I need to look up where the F189 is. Suspect it's the gearstick position switch.
Yes it is shopp, it's behind the illumination cover . It's a little magnetically operated switch.
Ok, it could be worth giving a clean as it could have picked up some scrap on the magnets
Cheers Al

04 c5 rs6 , Ebony Black, Bare shell repaint , Milltek's, PSS9's,Hotchkis Arb's,Gutted precats, hybrid turbos, Bosch 044 ,And an annoying EML light

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”