Manual gearbox swap

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Classik
4th Gear

Manual gearbox swap

Post by Classik » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:58 am

First post here, so first of all hi to everyone! Done a small presentation on the dedicated subforum, so I guess I have done everything by the book and hopefully I'm allowed to write my first topic. ;)

As my 5HP24 has just let me down (RS6 C5 Avant 2003), I am seriously considering a swap for a manual gearbox, but would like first hand experience before making the jump. So what's the status on the matter, is it worth the hassle? Anyone bought and installed one of these kits :
https://advancedautomotion.com/shop/pro ... i7mrsri7m4?

Apologies if this has already been addressed before, a quick search didn't bring anything valuable..

Best
RS6 C5 Avant 2003 Daytona Grey
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Re: Manual gearbox swap

Post by Ben_r1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:01 pm

I know it’s been done in the past particularly in America but not aware of anyone on here who’s done it.

I would imagine you’d need a rather grabby clutch to handle the torque which could spoil the ride. You could go twin plate but very expensive and they come with their own niggles to live with.

simonpoulton
3rd Gear

Post by simonpoulton » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:24 pm

I was having a think about doing this - whatever way you look at it (as far as my research went), problems with either a manual or the original auto box will require the gearbox to be taken off which is a PITA due to the turbo positioning etc. With the manual you have all the extra work of the conversion. Time and cost wise, it's got to be easier to keep it on the original box, unless you are planning to turn it into a mega beast with huge power. If refurbing the auto box, just make sure its serviced regularly.
Current: RS6 C5 Avant, E60 5 Series, '78 Mini (Queued for restoration)
Past: R56 Mini Cooper S

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:09 pm

Actually the gearbox will have to be taken off whichever route I might take (manual/automatic) I'd think..

As far as costs are concerned:
- Swap with a ZF reconditionned 5HP24 is like 4600€ (incl.vat) here
- Advanced Automotion with all options : $3900 excl. export taxes, shipping. I'd say we sort of reach the same order of magnitude for the parts only, say ~4300€

Now, in terms of labor, taking into account all the kit has been properly designed, am I wrong to think a good mechanic would probably take like 4-5 hours more to do the job compared to the automatic transmission option?

So all in all, there shouldn't be much of a difference, or am I missing something? Obviously since no one have made the plunge yet, there is also a big risk to be the first to try (hence my original post ;)).

To Ben_r1: they do provide a clutch in the kit, but this is definetly a question to ask before buying, whether it can handle the serious 750Nm torque the engine delivers after remap?..

Keep the comments/experience coming, thanks!
Last edited by Classik on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Post by Weiß-sechs » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Bam's Darth was a manual I think. Did MRC do the work?
He'll be along shortly I'd presume.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:35 pm

Yes, but it was a monster build costing an order of magnitude more than that kit.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:37 pm

Also what about the software for the EcU / ABS controller? Do you lose ESP / traction control with this kit?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

benh999
3rd Gear

Post by benh999 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:45 pm

Someone please carry out this conversion :jump:

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:53 pm

Good points Shoppinit, to be clarified for sure.

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:13 pm

Classik wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:58 am
First post here, so first of all hi to everyone! Done a small presentation on the dedicated subforum, so I guess I have done everything by the book and hopefully I'm allowed to write my first topic. ;)

As my 5HP24 has just let me down (RS6 C5 Avant 2003), I am seriously considering a swap for a manual gearbox, but would like first hand experience before making the jump. So what's the status on the matter, is it worth the hassle? Anyone bought and installed one of these kits :
https://advancedautomotion.com/shop/pro ... i7mrsri7m4?

Apologies if this has already been addressed before, a quick search didn't bring anything valuable..

Best
I've perused that site a number of times. I was more interested in the axle, prop shaft and diff upgrades. I'm pretty sure I've posted up that site URL on here previously. I think since you're US-based it's a no-brainer if you really want to go Emannuel innit. For us UK gits ordering from that website is a little more fraught with issues.
In regards to the experience of living with an RS6 manual; well, I don't think it's worth it unless the car has a lot of power (HP more so than torque). Being US based I'd have thought you'd have way more options to rebuild the slushy to a higher tolerance, which would make a more tractable car and probably a consistently faster one at that. It will also launch quicker and (IMO) be 'gentler' on other drivetrain components. The slushy is just better at keeping a stg 1 and stg2 spooled up and it's better at riding the torque. However, if you really want a manual then nothing anyone says is really going to sway you otherwise. I can't comment if it will be easier to work on the car, mine needs to have the engine and gearbox out to change the clutch, the turbos are wrapped around the 'box.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Post by Weiß-sechs » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:28 pm

Pssst....OP is in Paris :wink:

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Weiß-sechs wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:28 pm
Pssst....OP is in Paris :wink:
Oh really? I missed that. Hey OP, post up pics of girlfriend or hot French girls.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:24 pm

Haha, you can count on that of course ! :mrgreen:

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:33 pm

But yeah, thank you for your post & comments, althought I would have though it's more the torque than the power that kills the automatic gearbox ; but hey, I'm no expert.

It's just that I like manual gear, always had manual and I don't like a chip to decide on my behalf which gear I should be on, even if it's uber-optimised for many good or bad reasons. Now the fact that barely no one in Europe (does that include UK ? ;)) has done the swap makes me think more than twice. Obviously the safe & recommended route is to keep the box stock, but I'll be watching the thread with great interest.

Daveperc
Cruising

Post by Daveperc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:46 pm

I like manual gear, always had manual and I don't like a chip to decide on my behalf which gear I should be on
That's why it has flappy paddles and a manual mode - you can drive it as a manual whenever you want! :?

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”