Those hard to find parts...

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
RSKiwi
5th Gear

Those hard to find parts...

Post by RSKiwi » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:25 am

So its been two weeks now with my retro RS and I must admit I am enjoying it more than I thought I would. For me this has been itch I have wanted to scratch for a while and I am enjoying scratching it. It simply flattens the mountains out where I live and is making a great ski/dog/children wagon.

What I am finding or not finding as is the case is certain parts.

I am replacing all worn centre console buttons in the interior and I have successfully found a new parking sensor switch, new cup holder, new blank plate but I cannot track down a new ESP button in the 'soft touch' finish.

Who do you guys use for this sort of thing? The ESP switch is the last piece in the puzzle for having my interior immaculate and am keen to track one down.

Any directions pointed in would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
RS6H.jpg

Gone
MRC'd B7 RS4
B6 3.0 A4
C5 A6
Pug 405 NZ Touring Car
Jeep Cherokee (we all have things we are ashamed of)
Toyota Landcruiser
1963 Beige rat look VW Beetle 1.3 no performance engine

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Those hard to find parts...

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:35 am

Plastidip.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:39 am

Presumably they are NLA at the dealer? Ebay's an option. If you struggle to get them to deliver to NZ then I'm sure some kind soul will buy it for you and ship it out to you.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

RSKiwi
5th Gear

Post by RSKiwi » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:12 am

Shoppinit wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:39 am
Presumably they are NLA at the dealer? Ebay's an option. If you struggle to get them to deliver to NZ then I'm sure some kind soul will buy it for you and ship it out to you.

Yep, Audi NZ says Australia, Germany and Singapore dont have any, the only dealers they check ...I am yet to try other European dealers

Delivery is not usually an issue as fortunately I have a few contacts round the place. Ebay is the lottery of used parts so I'll exhaust all options before ending up on a used one if I can. Ebay has not provided a new version of the ESP in the weeks that I have been looking (inc eBay.de)

I guess it could just be a waiting game!

Gone
MRC'd B7 RS4
B6 3.0 A4
C5 A6
Pug 405 NZ Touring Car
Toyota Landcruiser

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:39 am

They should be the same as regular A6 switches? Maybe even other models of the era. You'd think it'd be easier to find. Have a look on the Audi tradition site. You never know...

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:48 am

What exactly does the switch look like, can you post a photo of it out of the console?
Depending on design there are a couple of things that might help you:
1. Usually the switch face/cap is detachable/swappable so if the mechanism is OK you can swap from a faulty switch.
2. Switch designs are similar common across a number of VAG models, so you may find a suitable switch/face from a different model range.
Edit: I see Shoppint makes a similar point.

RSKiwi
5th Gear

Post by RSKiwi » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:25 pm

Yep its the same across the C5 A6 range though earlier years and spec didnt get 'soft touch' (plastidip!) versions or so I am told. The reason I am hung up on new is because that soft touch coating marks and peels so easily but is hard to tell from the average eBay photo whether what tehy are selling is any good . The actual switch unit is fine it is just the faceplate that is trashed.

Normally I wouldnt be so anal but this RS is truly in immaculate condition so I figure the effort to get this sorted is worth it......kind of....

Audi tradition....now why didnt I think of that! Its worth a shot!

Gone
MRC'd B7 RS4
B6 3.0 A4
C5 A6
Pug 405 NZ Touring Car
Toyota Landcruiser

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”