Re mapping and torque through the block of cheese

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
RSKiwi
5th Gear

Re mapping and torque through the block of cheese

Post by RSKiwi » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:10 pm

Quick question, I am planning on remapping the RS6 when it arrives but while we have excellent tuners down here I dont want them to get carried away with cranking too much through the mild cheddar/auto box.

Can anyone advise after all these years whether there is a 'safe as it can ever be' level of torque they should map to?

Box will be rebuilt stronger when it eventually dies but for now its performing as it should.

It would be good if MRC could provide a map without me having to send the ECU over but I dont think they have any other options.

Cheers

Gone
MRC'd B7 RS4
B6 3.0 A4
C5 A6
Pug 405 NZ Touring Car
Jeep Cherokee (we all have things we are ashamed of)
Toyota Landcruiser
1963 Beige rat look VW Beetle 1.3 no performance engine

chunky79
Cruising

Re: Re mapping and torque through the block of cheese

Post by chunky79 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:20 am

The box fails in normal tune, not only tuned cars that fail. Has the box been serviced in its life? If not, get it serviced and see what the filter/oil quality are like.

Will the tuner be able to map the box at the same time?

You could have a real high torque map, but if you're not doing standing launches every day you could be ok, or you could have a mild map, launch it every day and your box will fail quicker.
All voodooshit and luck, owning a C5 mate.
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:08 am

The TCU needs to be modified anyway so you're looking at sending off hardware regardless.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

RSKiwi
5th Gear

Post by RSKiwi » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:43 am

Shoppinit wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:08 am
The TCU needs to be modified anyway so you're looking at sending off hardware regardless.

Why will this need to be modified? Wont this only be the case when the box fails or is it best to map engine and transmission at the same time hence sending it off?

Excuse my ignorance here its my first foray into modifying an auto box car!

Gone
MRC'd B7 RS4
B6 3.0 A4
C5 A6
Pug 405 NZ Touring Car
Toyota Landcruiser

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:26 am

Because it's programmed in such a way as to change down when the torque calculations reach a certain point. If you don't get the TCU modified then the car will hunt for gears and try to change down when it shouldn't to protect the transmission.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Post by Ben_r1 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:18 pm

I can confirm the above I purchased my car with just an engine remap and moderate acceleration under 3k causes havoc at shift points as it selects up then down and so on.

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Is that actually sending it off though ? Or is that the Box remap that MRC do alongside their regular Map ?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:07 pm

The TCU has to be bench flashed / soldered. I do not believe there is another option available.

RSKiwi
5th Gear

Post by RSKiwi » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:03 pm

Champion,

That has made everything clear. Ill hold fire and do more research and see who we have got down here with any knowledge. Realistically its going to end up at MRC....

Edit: I have just been told by what is a very reputable NZ tuner, (one of our best) that it is not correct re the TCU. They can manage the power delivery so the box will not hunt nor does it need to be modified unless you are looking to hold gears and hold it when in 'manual' mode.

Does this sound right? He was pretty fired up over the situation and said its factually incorrect about having to do the TCU.

Might be time to call Doug as I have no idea what to believe now as like I said this guy get flown all over the country to do his work and has been doing it for years and years.

Gone
MRC'd B7 RS4
B6 3.0 A4
C5 A6
Pug 405 NZ Touring Car
Toyota Landcruiser

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:13 am

I'd be surprised if MTM, MRC, Viper, etc. physically modify the TCU if it's not absolutely necessary but I'd be interested to get their take on it.

Best give MRC a call and get it from the most reputable horse's mouth.

Let us know. :thumbs:

Gregstv
3rd Gear

Post by Gregstv » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:29 am

I just did the TCU on my C5 RS6. Purchased the chip from MTM. I needed to remove the old chip and solder on connectors. The new MTM chip is on a mini board that plugs onto the connectors that are soldered on.
Attachments
IMG20180602101234.jpg
IMG20180602101011.jpg

benh999
3rd Gear

Post by benh999 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:41 pm

Is there a difference between the RS6 and the RS6+ gearboxes?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:45 pm

None.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:57 pm

Tidy soldering!
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”