What to replace it with.....

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
PipRS6
2nd Gear

What to replace it with.....

Post by PipRS6 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:28 am

The age old question. What could possibly replace our beloved cars??

I have only had mine a couple of months but I always try to plan ahead. So in a couple of years time I am trying to work out what I will replace it with.

My first thought was a C6 RS6. But I am wondering now if a C7 S6 would be a better shout?? Anyone that's driven both that can compare?
I expect in a couple of years the prices for both will be more or less in the same ball park....

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: What to replace it with.....

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:37 am

Not an RS, though. Once you've been used to having the king of them all, it'll always niggle you having the prince.

For me, the only thing that comes close is the C7 RS6. If not that then something completely different. Something smaller and more nimble. I do enjoy driving the M3 even though it lacks grunt because it's so chuckable. One of my favourite things to do is leave heavy AMGs and similar behind in the twisties without ever changing speed or going above the speed limit. It's so funny watching in the rear view as they nose dive into corners and fall behind. I sometimes do this on cruise control to really rub it in.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Daveperc
Cruising

Post by Daveperc » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:54 am

I went through this debate over the past year, and it came down to a choice of two - C7 RS6 or a Tesla P90D (with the Ludicrous upgrade).

I decided against the C6 RS6 - all the advice I got told me to wait for the C7 to get down to my money, and I'm glad I did - it's awesome, and I haven't even got it mapped yet. There are some threads comparing the two around.

The Tesla was interesting, but pricey, and ultimately a bit more lumbering through the corners - just too American!! Fun in a straight line though. Also I do quite a bit of motoring off the beaten track so charging points was an issue.

I loved my old C5 to bits (and back!!), but when I look at the pics now it does feel dated, and the C7 is simply 10 years of improvement and growing up!

Happy planning

Dave

Jayjay101
4th Gear

Post by Jayjay101 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:10 am

Gun to my head then I’d say a c7 rs6-but I don’t plan on ever getting rid of mine I love it to bits even if I’ve spent a missive amount of money on it!,i replaced my daily a month ago with a bmw e61 535d and that’s gets more attention than my rs and that’s what I love about the rs is it’s so understated and a lot of people don’t know what it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c5 rs6 owner thats been known to cut the wrong wire.............

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:42 am

RS5 might be another option. Not the later one without a real engine in it though. Has to be the v8. I think they also have the proper torsen 4wd not the haldex one.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:44 am

Yes, they are impressive. I'm not a fan of the looks though. Nothing wrong with them, Just not my cup of tea. The B8 RS4 might be an option for me. I'd having difficulty choosing between one of those and an E92 M3.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

PipRS6
2nd Gear

Post by PipRS6 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:28 pm

Should probably explain it has to be a big estate car. The reason I got the RS6 in the first place was so that I didn't have to run 2 cars. And with the family I need the space.
C7 RS6 would be ideal depending on the money they are demanding in a couple of years time. My guess is they will be double the price of an S6. And from what I have read the RS6 turbos are a straight swap if I wanted more power (which I inevitably will).

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:11 pm

PipRS6 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:28 pm
Should probably explain it has to be a big estate car. The reason I got the RS6 in the first place was so that I didn't have to run 2 cars. And with the family I need the space.
C7 RS6 would be ideal depending on the money they are demanding in a couple of years time. My guess is they will be double the price of an S6. And from what I have read the RS6 turbos are a straight swap if I wanted more power (which I inevitably will).
I'm guessing the RS has better suspension, brakes...... You'll end up having an S6 for not a lot more than and RS would have cost.
I'm thinking C7 might be my next car (in about 20 years when the house is done)
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”