Really...these questions...again?

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
RSKiwi
5th Gear

Really...these questions...again?

Post by RSKiwi » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:25 am

HI all

Its been a while since I have been here since selling my RS4 but an opportunity has come up and I am likely to be picking up a 2003 60k mile Avus RS6 Avant NZ spec in about a week. I've always thought it would be good to own one and its time to scratch the itch.

So being NZ spec it never had sat nav as Audi never made a disc for NZ so it is only running a symphony headunit but it was reasonably well specced everywhere else.

Whats (maybe unusual) is that it came with the cross drilled rotors, black exhaust tips but silver roof rails so a few RS6+ items but it is a 2003. Were these pre + items? Im rapidly getting up to speed with what these had as standard but a few NZ people thought these were odd combos?

Anyway I have done numerous searches but no real definitive answers have popped up over a couple of questions I have so hopefully I wont break anyones will to live by asking them...

1. Will the exhaust drone if I delete the resonators? I cant deal with drone so droneless advice sought for mild increases in throatyness
2. What bluetooth kit can I add to the symphony that allows streaming audio and allows basic control from the headunit?
3. Has anyone installed an OEM look Android unit that is actually any good? (Its NZ I dont need sat-nav we only have about 42 roads)

I am aiming to keep the OEM sleeper look both inside and out but it will be getting mapped within the first week.

Cheers for any advice!

Gone
MRC'd B7 RS4
B6 3.0 A4
C5 A6
Pug 405 NZ Touring Car
Jeep Cherokee (we all have things we are ashamed of)
Toyota Landcruiser
1963 Beige rat look VW Beetle 1.3 no performance engine

bam_bam
Cruising

Re: Really...these questions...again?

Post by bam_bam » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:59 am

Wow, from a B7 to a C5, you done gone full reetard there.
It's not that weird a spec.
I think the center section delete will sound great but I can't comment on the drone, it might well do. What speed do you cruise at over there?
No matter where you go, there you are.

RSKiwi
5th Gear

Post by RSKiwi » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:36 am

Tell me about it! I wasnt looking for a C5 but this one popped up and at only 60k mile for the equivalent of 8k pounds it was almost rude not to. Its getting a full health check first just to make sure its not a massive lemon.

Cruising speed is exactly 104 km/h due to the high proportion of police to drivers. Having said that this RS6 has a 'jammer' installed, but realistically its generally 60mph.
Last edited by RSKiwi on Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gone
MRC'd B7 RS4
B6 3.0 A4
C5 A6
Pug 405 NZ Touring Car
Toyota Landcruiser

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:53 am

The center silence delete increases the sound levels a bit without changing the character of the sound. I've heard it and it's not extreme. I really don't think it will drone, the difference isn't that big.

There are a few bluetooth kits out there. Xcarlink, Connects2, Dension.

This looks like an interesting unit:

https://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/fiscon-b ... -audi-seat

I'd be very tempted.

I've got the xcarlink but it sounds like it's low-bit streaming over bluetooth so the quality is no good. Maybe they have improved since.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:56 am

RSKiwi wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:25 am

Whats (maybe unusual) is that it came with the cross drilled rotors, black exhaust tips but silver roof rails so a few RS6+ items but it is a 2003. Were these pre + items?
Sounds like those parts have just been replaced at some point. You sure it's a standard exhaust? The black tips came with the black optics option, but that also includes roof rails etc. so your car won't have had it.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

RSKiwi
5th Gear

Post by RSKiwi » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:10 am

Shoppinit wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:56 am
RSKiwi wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:25 am

Whats (maybe unusual) is that it came with the cross drilled rotors, black exhaust tips but silver roof rails so a few RS6+ items but it is a 2003. Were these pre + items?
Sounds like those parts have just been replaced at some point. You sure it's a standard exhaust? The black tips came with the black optics option, but that also includes roof rails etc. so your car won't have had it.
Its a one genuine lady owner car and I asked that exact question re exhaust and it is the same one it came with. They have no idea re the brakes so as you say they are probably just replacement items as you would expect. Exhaust was maybe just a spec option for down here. I know the original dealer so if I can get the original owner to give permission they will release all its purchase history etc. Privacy and all that.

Gone
MRC'd B7 RS4
B6 3.0 A4
C5 A6
Pug 405 NZ Touring Car
Toyota Landcruiser

RSKiwi
5th Gear

Post by RSKiwi » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:15 am

Shoppinit wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:53 am
The center silence delete increases the sound levels a bit without changing the character of the sound. I've heard it and it's not extreme. I really don't think it will drone, the difference isn't that big.

There are a few bluetooth kits out there. Xcarlink, Connects2, Dension.

This looks like an interesting unit:

https://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/fiscon-b ... -audi-seat

I'd be very tempted.

I've got the xcarlink but it sounds like it's low-bit streaming over bluetooth so the quality is no good. Maybe they have improved since.
Thanks for those I will definitely have a look.

Having taken inspiration from here Ill likely do a switched bypass of the rear mufflers for when I wish to give the finger to any self righteous boring hybrid owners.

Gone
MRC'd B7 RS4
B6 3.0 A4
C5 A6
Pug 405 NZ Touring Car
Toyota Landcruiser

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:57 am

Welcome back kiwi.

What's the service history like?

The exhaust tips could have just been sprayed, mine were when I purchased it and had silver roof rails (not sure if you remember it from when we were at mrc). Ref the drone, who knows, report back when done :thumbs:

Drilled discs were just probably fitted when replaced cause they look better.

Upgrading the head unit would be best, the sound quality is slightly better from newer head units.

Good luck with it.

From what my brother says, the roads out there are great for both the Rs4 and RS6, some great twisties and long straights.
Have a look through the FAQ section, some great info there to get you started. Good luck with the purchase and rule 1 that mother.
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:11 am

RSKiwi wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:36 am
Tell me about it! I wasnt looking for a C5 but this one popped up and at only 60k km for the equivalent of 8k pounds it was almost rude not to. Its getting a full health check first just to make sure its not a massive lemon.

Cruising speed is exactly 104 km/h due to the high proportion of police to drivers. Having said that this RS6 has a 'jammer' installed, but realistically its generally 60mph.
A weird spec, one lady owner, 40,000mile C5RS6 for £8,000?!
Do you live in upside land or somethi... oh wait.
Rule 1.
No matter where you go, there you are.

RSKiwi
5th Gear

Post by RSKiwi » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:31 am

Kiwis are too scared of service bills so Euro motors often go for cheap as they get older its a perk of ilving closer to the moon than any other country on earth other than oz...

Advert pic attached. If all goes smoothly Ill add more 'picturesque' versions in the coming weeks.
Attachments
RS.JPG
RS2.JPG

Gone
MRC'd B7 RS4
B6 3.0 A4
C5 A6
Pug 405 NZ Touring Car
Toyota Landcruiser

ahoooga
5th Gear

Post by ahoooga » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Drilled brake discs for all 4 wheels was a £600 optional extra in the UK.

The C5 wasn't meant to have a Tow bar in the UK due to type approval regs, i don't know about other world markets though

RSKiwi
5th Gear

Post by RSKiwi » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:20 pm

ahoooga wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:48 pm
Drilled brake discs for all 4 wheels was a £600 optional extra in the UK.

The C5 wasn't meant to have a Tow bar in the UK due to type approval regs, i don't know about other world markets though
Could have been a standard spec for NZ, Audi NZ often dictate base spec based upon what they reckon will sell if its not pre-ordered.

Tow bar, we dont worry about such trivial issues as type approval. If it will tear the front of the boat off and not the back of the car on it goes!

Gone
MRC'd B7 RS4
B6 3.0 A4
C5 A6
Pug 405 NZ Touring Car
Toyota Landcruiser

Siph3r
1st Gear

Post by Siph3r » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:11 pm

I have the Denison in mine, works perfect, and enables you to use it as hands free for your cell phone also :)
2003 RS6
2000 S8
1993 URS4

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:40 pm

Might be tricky to find one these days.

PipRS6
2nd Gear

Post by PipRS6 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:06 pm

There is a good thread up at the moment on this forum about Pioneer head units which work well and look fairly stock but modernised if you catch my drift. Worth checking out.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”