Camshaft seals/ camshaft cover seals replacement, how long?

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
benh999
3rd Gear

Camshaft seals/ camshaft cover seals replacement, how long?

Post by benh999 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:58 pm

I’m going to have my camshaft cover seals changed along with the cam shaft seals etc as I have a small leak from the rear NS cam seal. Makes sense to change all of them in one go...

Now I know Audi state it is engine out however most online guides say it can be done in situ with a bit of tweaking pipes on the OS bank.

Has anyone else had this work done and if so how many hours labour did it take approx?

Also what kits did you use, OE, Victor Reinz etc? :thumbs:

Nobby
Top Gear

Re: Camshaft seals/ camshaft cover seals replacement, how long?

Post by Nobby » Tue May 22, 2018 10:08 pm

I changed mine - i’ll have a look for my post.
Daytona RS6 Avant
Rule #36 - At least one gear shall be dropped for every tunnel travelled

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

simonpoulton
3rd Gear

Post by simonpoulton » Wed May 23, 2018 8:16 am

Nearside is the easier for the two - offside has the water coolant pipe going over the top of it.

I used all Audi stuff when I did mine, but I changed it with the engine out so can't comment on the effort required.

Might be worth doing some work on the cam covers when they are off - I cleaned and sprayed mine.
Current: RS6 C5 Avant, E60 5 Series, '78 Mini (Queued for restoration)
Past: R56 Mini Cooper S

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Wed May 23, 2018 12:15 pm

NS is easy. OS is "just" possible without removing the water pipe if you can make a wedge to move it out of the way just enough, but no more. (Might even have been Nobby's guide I originally used 4 years ago). If I ever remove my engine again, I think I'll fab a new water pipe that routes a little differently - there is space.

The covers are magnesium, which is lovely, but they corrode like a bugger. I had mine powdercoated satin black before I put them back on. (Most Audi guys would of course go red)

Depending on mileage, probably worth doing the cam adjuster shoes as well. You can buy the seals for it easily enough, and some aftermarket shoes are available (the shoes are a fairly generic part). It's a little nerve wracking pulling the cams out to do it, you really feel like you're in the guts of the engine - and make sure the crank is locked with the locking pin too! As long as your careful and methodical, it's OK. I think I did mine at 3am one morning - I was on a mission to get it back together and running. Caffeine & Loud Music helps move things forward.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

benh999
3rd Gear

Post by benh999 » Fri May 25, 2018 7:23 am

MattV8 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:15 pm
NS is easy. OS is "just" possible without removing the water pipe if you can make a wedge to move it out of the way just enough, but no more. (Might even have been Nobby's guide I originally used 4 years ago). If I ever remove my engine again, I think I'll fab a new water pipe that routes a little differently - there is space.

The covers are magnesium, which is lovely, but they corrode like a bugger. I had mine powdercoated satin black before I put them back on. (Most Audi guys would of course go red)

Depending on mileage, probably worth doing the cam adjuster shoes as well. You can buy the seals for it easily enough, and some aftermarket shoes are available (the shoes are a fairly generic part). It's a little nerve wracking pulling the cams out to do it, you really feel like you're in the guts of the engine - and make sure the crank is locked with the locking pin too! As long as your careful and methodical, it's OK. I think I did mine at 3am one morning - I was on a mission to get it back together and running. Caffeine & Loud Music helps move things forward.

Do you just use OE seals or is there another OE spec alternative? Naturally I’ll fit OE unless there is a sensibly proved alternative (Victor Reinz) etc?

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Fri May 25, 2018 1:34 pm

Daytona RS6 Avant
Rule #36 - At least one gear shall be dropped for every tunnel travelled

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”