Airbox pulled in by suction...

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
mavada
Cruising

Airbox pulled in by suction...

Post by mavada » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:52 pm

Watch closely to the reflection on the air box being pulled in by suction.
At around 24 sec. In the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4qBs80 ... e=youtu.be
If you can't go to the track, bring the track to you.
Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant
Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control
Yellow Koni's
Porsche 959, gone but not forgotten.
Fight ALS disease https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGFDWTC8B8g

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Airbox pulled in by suction...

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:02 pm

Is the whole thing being sucked down, in which case it's not been put on right? Or is the box itself trying to implode? I'd say maybe the latter. Indicates that it could do with flowing a bit better.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

MeTsU
2nd Gear

Post by MeTsU » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:13 am

That's rather interesting. Looks like both centre sections of the air box being drawn in towards it itself, as opposed to the entire air box moving (watch the leading edge).
2004 Audi RS6 Avant Plus #283

Ajc
4th Gear

Post by Ajc » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:00 pm

The air box isn't the best design and pretty restrictive in it's design. So lots littlerally creating vacuum because it can't draw what it needs through the filters . Hence why I'm building a more free flowing system .
Cheers Al

04 c5 rs6 , Ebony Black, Bare shell repaint , Milltek's, PSS9's,Hotchkis Arb's,Gutted precats, hybrid turbos, Bosch 044 ,And an annoying EML light

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:05 pm

But the restriction must be upstream of the filter. Otherwise it wouldn't be pulling the top of the box down, it would be pulling the filters down which we wouldn't see.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Ajc
4th Gear

Post by Ajc » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:25 pm

Yeah , your right in what your saying , i just ment as a general term , Perhaps I should have worded it differently .
The air box as a whole is restrictive and has plenty of pinch points , maybe this was done to control the noise levels ?.
I guess at standard power levels it's fine for the job , but shows it could be better .
It would be nice to modify the stock box for better flow , though I'm not sure it's something that could be done ,short of removing the top cover and bonnet .
Cheers Al

04 c5 rs6 , Ebony Black, Bare shell repaint , Milltek's, PSS9's,Hotchkis Arb's,Gutted precats, hybrid turbos, Bosch 044 ,And an annoying EML light

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:27 pm

Most efforts to improve intake look awful. I'm no fan of the lazy OE design but it still looks less DIY than most of the other ones I've seen.

Ajc
4th Gear

Post by Ajc » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:44 pm

Yeah , I totally agree with you there .Audi did a great job at making an aesthetically pleasing air box. The only aftermarket one I like is the fmu version with the oil breather in the centre. I've seen some very ugly attempts from people though .
Cheers Al

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”