Lost the horn(s) and water leak

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Nobby
Top Gear

Lost the horn(s) and water leak

Post by Nobby » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:39 pm

Hello all! Its been a while since I was last on here. Been having a house extension so car time has been limited.

Anyway, still got the RS6. Still loving it.

Bloody horns have stopped working though. I must admit it I don't really use them that often so god knows when they stopped working - must have been in the last year as its part of the MOT.

Checked the fuse (F40) and all good. Got a replacement relay (J4 which is a #645 relay I think). Still no horn. I can hear the clicking of the relay. The horns are a right pain to get to though as they are right behind the bumper on each side, kinda under each headlight. Popped the N/S one out and there is power to the horn when the button is pressed. It did make the tiniest of beeps after I gave it a couple of taps though. Seems impossible to remove them without taking the bumper off.

So I'm gonna have to take the bumper off to have a look at both of them. Obviously I don't use them enough, but is it possible for both of them to have moisture in them? I've seen vids on YouTube with people taking them apart and cleaning the contacts? Some horns have an adjuster screw too. Mine had a little plastic plug over over a metal contact but it didn't seem to rotate. Anyone reckon it'll be worth a punt taking them apart? Other options are second hands one from fleabay or get bent over at Audi for some new ones. Also anyone know which side is high and which one is low? Might just get one working ready for the MOT and then sort the other one a different time.

Second problem is I have a water leak somewhere. :thumbsdown: The headlining on the N/S by the boot lid is damp after some torrential rain at the weekend and its seems to have dribbled down the pillar to the CD changer area. I've reseated the aerial which had a little water around underneath it and added a smidge of sealant. Aside from that I can't imagine where else it would come from other than the roof rack and rails. Its higher than the windows and hinges aren't pooling water etc.. Gonna be a PITA if I have to take the headlining out.

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by Nobby on Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daytona RS6 Avant
Rule #36 - At least one gear shall be dropped for every tunnel travelled

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Re: Lost the horn(s) and water leak

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:13 pm

"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

MeTsU
2nd Gear

Post by MeTsU » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:17 pm

MattV8 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:13 pm
Just sayin'
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Quad-Tra ... 1776482449
That should do the trick... :biggrin3:

I need to pull my front bumper off, as one of my horns seems to not be working, as my hooter sounds a little odd when tooted.
2004 Audi RS6 Avant Plus #283

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:44 pm

Thanks Matt. Thought you'd atleast get a free Confederate flag with those.

(P.S I've been in a General Lee look Charger. Great fun. Ear splittingly loud) :shock:
Daytona RS6 Avant

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Post by Ben_r1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:03 pm

MeTsU wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:17 pm
MattV8 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:13 pm
Just sayin'
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Quad-Tra ... 1776482449
That should do the trick... :biggrin3:

I need to pull my front bumper off, as one of my horns seems to not be working, as my hooter sounds a little odd when tooted.

150db! :rocker:

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:21 pm

Wouldn't do it on the RS, but am tempted to do it on my V8 Landrover.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:53 pm

I ran mine without mannies for a laugh. It made small children cry.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:33 am

Update: Water leak seems to have been fixed. Aerial seal looks like its stopped any ingress - nice and dry now.

One horn is now working. Unfortunately its the high one and sounds completely ridiculous on its own :oops:
Daytona RS6 Avant

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”