Brake wear indicator....

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Mark-RS
4th Gear

Brake wear indicator....

Post by Mark-RS » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:16 am

Seems my Brake wear indicator came on yesterday.

How long does this typically give you before you need to change them ? I don't use them hard by any means.. Couple of weeks ? Couple of months ? Days ?

Aside from the obvious size of the brakes, there is no difference to regular brakes ? As in it's something myself and a friend can change easily enough ?

And what about discs ? Change at the same time ? Or only if needed ?

V!per
3rd Gear

Re: Brake wear indicator....

Post by V!per » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:45 am

Pads are pretty straight forward to change - nothing unusual on them. I'm sure you can do them yourself
You don't need to change the disks - unless they are pretty worn/ scarred/pitted or have a very bad lip on them.

Daveperc
Cruising

Post by Daveperc » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:42 pm

Assuming your discs are not heavily pitted/worn then only need to do pads. However I would get on and do them straight away - my warning light came on about 1000 miles from home, and I was down to bare metal (and hence new discs) by the time I got home, and that was not braking fiercely!

Dave

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:51 pm

Ok, thanks for the advice.

Looking at the other thread here, it has not really been determined which pads would be the best ?

Some people recommend one thing and other say they are crap.

Do we have anything a little more definitive ? Perhaps something for everyday fast road use and something else for track ? My use would not be track based at all.

I'm looking to buy from Euro car parts as they have 45% this easter so could make a decent saving !

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Audi ... 8e4&000036

Any thoughts on these ?

Or do I need to look at higher performance pads such as these...

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Audi ... 46e&000712

With 45% off, I may actually look at just replacing discs also at the same time. From the other thread I gather the Zimmerman discs are good enough. At £350 a piece and 45% off you essentially get one for free !

Daveperc
Cruising

Post by Daveperc » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:12 pm

Without checking back on all the old posts:
- for standard (fast) road use the OEM pads are about the best. IIRC the ECP ones are Pagid and frankly not very good - doubtless someone more knowledgeable will be along to clarify soon;
- Zimmerman discs will be fine. Remember you have the option of drilled or solid - personally always gone for drilled (better heat transfer, though one really ougt to clear the holes each from time to time). :shock:

You could always buy the discs and only fit them if the old discs are sufficiently worn when you get in there, if not keep them for next time!

Plenty of threads on here about full uprating routes as well, though I have never judged it worth it for road use (others have reported running out of brakes!!). :oops:

But then my new beast has Ceramics....

Dave

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:41 pm

What Dave said. You'll need a new pad sensor, too.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:03 pm

Ok, discs will be the drilled ones. From the other thread the OEM pads are about £350+VAt which is substantially more expensive than pretty much anything I have seen elsewhere, even the high performance Brembo I linked to above.

Daveperc
Cruising

Post by Daveperc » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:10 pm

Probably about right on the cost - haven't got my old invoices to hand to check.

Just remember it's nearly 2 tonnes of car plus occupants, and you may on occasions need to stop very quickly from a speed you didn't realise you had got to!!

Along with the rubber on the road, I've always reckoned that brakes are the most critical items! Too many people pour many £'s into increased power, without realising that stopping is the mandatory bit! Like they say in air traffic control - "take-off is optional, landing is mandatory!" Much the sme goes for stopping the car!

Dave

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:15 pm

Oh sure, I understand that. ECP have pads from less than £25 ! Which I have no interest in at all.

But at the same time I don't want to pay £350 plus VAT, just coz audi....

The Brembo say they are meant to be a direct OEM replacement (HP2000) and are £250, plus the 45% off makes them very attractive. Then there are the EBC red or yellow ?

Steveo
3rd Gear

Post by Steveo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:04 pm

Mark-RS wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:51 pm
Ok, thanks for the advice.

Looking at the other thread here, it has not really been determined which pads would be the best ?

Some people recommend one thing and other say they are crap.

Do we have anything a little more definitive ? Perhaps something for everyday fast road use and something else for track ? My use would not be track based at all.

I'm looking to buy from Euro car parts as they have 45% this easter so could make a decent saving !

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Audi ... 8e4&000036

Any thoughts on these ?

Or do I need to look at higher performance pads such as these...

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Audi ... 46e&000712

With 45% off, I may actually look at just replacing discs also at the same time. From the other thread I gather the Zimmerman discs are good enough. At £350 a piece and 45% off you essentially get one for free !
ECP are like DFS....... there's always a sale on! Don't get too carried away by huge discount as it is usually off of a ridiculously high list price.

Some have used EBC red pads and spoke highly of them (but some of those people are from the country that voted in Trump)
RS6 C5, MTM

Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Post by Ben_r1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:37 pm

I find the brakes in the RS6 rather lacking considering the setup. I’ve had them checked over, bled and greased but to no avail. They just feel soft, long and lacking initial bite.

That’s with all OEM braking parts and the front discs and pads are only 1k old and correctly bedded in. I will try another compound next I know people with the experience say OE are best for road but they can’t get any worse, except for EBC of course...

Other car is an Impreza STI with Sintered carbon Lorraine pads and you head butt the steering wheel everytime you look at the brake pedal. How it should be!

House89
2nd Gear

Post by House89 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:33 pm

I’ve got a brand new pair of Zimmerman discs and some front pads available if you’re interested.

I’ve moved over to a C6 now so they’re no use to me.

Bought during an ECP sale so happy to have a deal on them.

bilko1
Top Gear

Post by bilko1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:50 pm

I'm just about to fit a set of Ferodo DS2500's to the front of mine,
Avus Avant, RNS-E mk2 with sds and Bluetooth, Milltek, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Forge, ITG, A.C.E, Wagner, FBMFSW, MTM.

V!per
3rd Gear

Post by V!per » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:46 pm

I've got EBC Red on mine - they have performed very well so far.
The previous owner must have put some cheap SHI..T they were smoking as hell after couple of hard brakes.

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:39 pm

House89 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:33 pm
I’ve got a brand new pair of Zimmerman discs and some front pads available if you’re interested.

I’ve moved over to a C6 now so they’re no use to me.

Bought during an ECP sale so happy to have a deal on them.
Was really good meeting you ! Appreciate you dropping by on your way home from a job ! You lessened the load on my poor wallet a considerable amount. I can't thank you enough. :biggrin3:

It was mentioned above about needing a new Pad sensor ? Are these not what are attached to the pads I have ? Do they not plug straight into the plug on the car ?

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”