DRC Plus replacement Parts List

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
srichards
4th Gear

Re: DRC Plus replacement Parts List

Post by srichards » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:13 am

Those moans about BC coil overs are from 2010. That's a long time ago.

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:21 pm

My usual garage tell me the BC racing are just cheap chinese tat. I'm a bit stuck as the H & R are supposedly even worse than the Bilstein and the Bilsteins are awful.

Nobody seems to suspension report videos with some sort of measure of actual ride quality at all. Makes it impossible to find out what is good and what is rubbish.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:30 pm

What have you got your PSS9 set at? I was out in mine on fairly poor roads and I found the ride fine. Except when I hit a pothole or sudden change in height which is unpleasant.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:50 pm

I posted links to the respective Koni threads above, with feedback from the guys who have fitted them in there too. They were a win for me since they keep the original springs and therefore spring rate. Obvs not the only choice, but I think if you do a search here and on RS6.com, you can find a lot of opinions & reviews.
srichards wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:21 pm
My usual garage tell me the BC racing are just cheap chinese tat. I'm a bit stuck as the H & R are supposedly even worse than the Bilstein and the Bilsteins are awful.

Nobody seems to suspension report videos with some sort of measure of actual ride quality at all. Makes it impossible to find out what is good and what is rubbish.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:08 pm

I'm not completely sure they're the PSS9s They could be the PSS14(?) . The user manual lists B14 and B16 and 9 points of adjustment. That's dated 2008. As far as I know they're set to 8 or 9 which is the comfort setting.

The local roads are absolutely disgraceful. There isn't a piece of tarmac more than 100 yards long anywhere without a pothole, dip, edge falling away, dodgy grid etc.

I wish these would fit. https://www.ohlins.eu/en/products/autom ... 04-13--36/

They're about the only answer other than giving up the RS and getting a supercharged V8 rangie with air suspension.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:11 pm

Aint that the truth!
srichards wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:08 pm
The local roads are absolutely disgraceful. There isn't a piece of tarmac more than 100 yards long anywhere without a pothole, dip, edge falling away, dodgy grid etc.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:12 pm

If they are PSS9 they will have little dials on the bottom of the struts. If they are set to 8 or 9 your ride will be horrible. Bumpy and crashy. 4 is the highest it's safe to go with the PSS9 on the RS6.

I have heard that the PSS (B14) are harsh, but I've never experienced them.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:12 pm
If they are PSS9 they will have little dials on the bottom of the struts. If they are set to 8 or 9 your ride will be horrible. Bumpy and crashy. 4 is the highest it's safe to go with the PSS9 on the RS6.

I have heard that the PSS (B14) are harsh, but I've never experienced them.
It's been on 3 different settings over time I think. I'll have to see if I can see the adjusters at all. It's always been crashy and bumpy on whatever it's been set to. Pretty certain it was on a lowish number when I got it. It used to hit the bump stops from the feel of it. It doesn't seem to do that as much now on whatever it's set to so that is a bit better.

There's some excellent suspension nerdery in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtAP774EaIA

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:09 pm

Somebody has made a full air suspension kit!

http://air-lift.co.uk/air-ride-packages ... -2011.html

Daveperc
Cruising

Post by Daveperc » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:11 pm

How old are the PSS9's?? If they have done more than about 60K miles they are probably shot anyway. Ithink Bilstein offer a refurb service (new seals, regas etc) or alternatively get some new ones!

Or of course, put it back on DRC!!

Dave

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:15 pm

They could be shot. They probably were when I got the car as the ride isn't worse. It's just the same crapness it's always been but I'm getting less tolerant of it. The DRC had already failed by the first MOT and 20k with those shocks just starting to leak oil so I don't think I'm going to go down the DRC route :audibash:

Wondering about KW now as they have variable compression and rebound as well as height adjustment.

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-bran ... di-rs6-c5/

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”