Boot lock mechanism issue.

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Greenslade
1st Gear

Boot lock mechanism issue.

Post by Greenslade » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:22 am

Hi there,

On my 2003 Avant, I'm starting to have a bit of trouble with the boot catch. It's taking several goes and 'bangs' to get it to click shut now,.....it's been getting worse over the last 2-3 weeks.

Closing it very gently so that it 'half' closes, and then putting my weight on the tailgate seems to be the only way of getting it to properly click home.

I thought it was closed a couple of weeks ago,....hoofed the car up the road,...and my best snare drum flew out backwards and landed on the road lol,.....not ideal. Luckily the drum was in a tough protective case, but it's a good job that there were no cars behind.

I'm not a fan of banging the tailgate down or fiddling about half closing it.

Sooooo, has anybody else had a similar problem?

Easy fix?

Is there an adjustment or something to be greased?

If I DO need to replace it, I take it that a lock off any C5 Avant will do?

Cheers.
2003 RS6 Avant in Ebony Black/Silver Nappa - Wagners, Millteks, MRC Stage 2 map, Bosch 044, Sports Cats, Bilsteins, Hotchkis ARBs, 390mm C6 discs, Recaro CS, RNS-E, LED tail-lights, Goodyear Eagle F1s,......Porsche filler caps :mrgreen:

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Re: Boot lock mechanism issue.

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:44 pm

It's in 2 parts - the latch and the lock mechanism. Both are standard C5 Avant parts:
4B0827565J - Lock
4B9827505N - Latch

With the boot open, remove the inner liner and it's pretty easy to inspect and check it all. If my recollection is correct, it's most likely the latch mechanism that's worn (4B9827505N), although in my case, it'd all obviously been disassembled before and put back together incorrectly meaning if you shut it "half latched" you were buggered - it would neither open on the handle nor latch fully. Now all fine, though.

They have genuine new ones for sale on ebay for 77 quid - but seem to remember that's more than I paid - so worth hunting around.

If you frig around with the catch with the door open you'll be able to work out which bit of the mechanism is dicky easily enough - although take photos before you disassemble everything, some of the linkages are not obvious.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”