Need New Engine

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Re: Need New Engine

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Thu May 24, 2018 8:37 am

Is that for real? I've always been sceptical, and remain so, of that claim for ATF - but if I'm wrong, I'd like to learn why:
1. Engine oil wants to be > 80C, principally to evaporate any moisture (engine isn't a closed system) - but there's a thermostat in that loop anyway
2. ATF is a very different oil, and it's a much more closed system
3. When doing an ATF change, the gearbox oil hits >32C very quickly, even though at this point the engine oil cooler isn't doing anything (because the thermo is closed and it's bypassing the oil/air cooler)
4. The original combined cooler doesn't actually have engine & gb oils transferring heat between each other - IMVHO it's just convenient packaging to have them running parallel
5. Keeping the ATF cooler helps prolong its life, which in turn looks after the gearbox more.
6. That's it's temperature IN to the cooler that's interesting only (I had to be taught that one!)

All that aside, whenever I'm putting together a new cooling system, I always fit a few of these to monitor how it's all going and check it's working as I planned with no hotspots - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/temperat ... s/9064609/ They might be handy for you too.

Finally if (when!!) I put a new ATF cooler in, I think I'd fit one with a good core capacity like you have, but then probably also fit one of these - http://www.mocal.co.uk/products-oilstats.html (The OT/2 one).
Shoppinit wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:12 am
That's a good point. Also without heat exchange with the coolant, I'd be a bit concerned about over-cooling the oil.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu May 24, 2018 9:18 am

Yeah, I was thinking more about the pressure drop.

Definitely the ATF being too cool is a problem. The TCU won't allow correct operation or TC lockup below ATF of 60 degrees. I think it's more accurate to say that keeping the ATF in its correct operating temperature range is best. Maybe a thermostat like the one you linked to would be good for that.

I like those temperature Stickers. Gonna buy some next time I order from RS.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Thu May 24, 2018 2:36 pm

Yeah, I thought you might. They record the peak temperature, so you can run it up the road and back and they'll tell you the peaks - which obviously means they're kind of single use too. Nevertheless, bloody handy when you're commissioning a new project and want to make sure everything is spot on.
Shoppinit wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:18 am
I like those temperature Stickers. Gonna buy some next time I order from RS.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

GedasRS6
Neutral

Post by GedasRS6 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:46 pm

I got full engine. Its still in car. 50 000 milleage

V!per
3rd Gear

Post by V!per » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:24 pm

GedasRS6 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:46 pm
I got full engine. Its still in car. 50 000 milleage
Hey
I got everything sorted now. It's back in UK - having the gearbox done now nad will be with me hopefully on the weekend :nogarors4: :kissmyrings: :kissmyrings:

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”