Need New Engine

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Mark-RS
4th Gear

Re: Need New Engine

Post by Mark-RS » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Poland seems to be a pretty good place for German cars.

I also have a VR6 show car and was toying with the idea of dumping a Turbo'd R32 engine into it and costing it up here compared to there was a fraction of the price. If I remember it was under half of what it would cost here and apparently their workmanship is awesome !

benh999
3rd Gear

Post by benh999 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:43 pm

Would love to know the total price to get her back on the road and back in the UK...

Sounds like you know some decent mechanics if you go through the saga of shipping it all to Poland :thumbs:

V!per
3rd Gear

Post by V!per » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:59 pm

Yes - labour is WAAAAAY cheaper in Poland. Once I have the full cost's I will update the post

And yes - guys know their stuff
this is a dyno of his so called passeratti - R36 Vw Passat with some added turbo. I think it has actually more now

V!per
3rd Gear

Post by V!per » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:17 pm

So finally had some work done on the car. in on day the engine was taken out and the next day all the bad news started coming in.
The lack of oil pressure done A LOT OF DAMAGE !!!
piston bearings 2/3 of them are gone, pistons and cylinder block scratched, crank shaft - wasted, head cam mounts wasted, even turbos were affected and most likely will need to be looked at as well.
DISASTER - that defo is not worth working on.
Now looking for a new engine. Found one from and RS6 plus with turbos and gearbox only done 90k km - but it's 3.75k - might have gearbox for sale soon ;)

I'm in pieces - and so is the engine

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Oh bummer.... Not the best of news sadly. Sorry to hear that :-(

Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Post by Ben_r1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:18 pm

Any reports on what actually caused the oil pressure loss?

V!per
3rd Gear

Post by V!per » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:48 pm

Ben_r1 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:18 pm
Any reports on what actually caused the oil pressure loss?
Didn't get to that tbh.

BTW - I'm accepting any donations to get the new engine purchased and save the beast :biggrin3: :biggrin3: :nogarors4: :nogarors4: :kissmyrings:

Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Post by Ben_r1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:42 pm

Was you giving it the beans when it let go?

V!per
3rd Gear

Post by V!per » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:31 am

I was actually. Was going for a job interview and on the way out of my town there is a long steep hill was flooring it, overtaking some cars and few minutes after that the sh...t happened :(

Sent from galaxy far away using The Force

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:30 am

TBH, I'd have been more astonished if it had survived. To lose oil pressure without an external factor (blowing a hose), means the innerds are already lunched.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Post by Ben_r1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:17 pm

I’d be very interested to know what the root cause was, could perhaps offer us all the chance for some preventative maintenance.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:59 pm

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say the motor was unhealthy for while - either it ran for a time after the oil pressure went, or it had been on it's way out for a while.
The piston & liner damage wouldn't happen quickly - they're not dependant on oil pressurised oil being pumped to them.

V!per
3rd Gear

Post by V!per » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:45 pm

MattV8 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:59 pm
I'm gonna stick my neck out and say the motor was unhealthy for while - either it ran for a time after the oil pressure went, or it had been on it's way out for a while.
The piston & liner damage wouldn't happen quickly - they're not dependant on oil pressurised oil being pumped to them.
I think you might be right here. My guy said the same thing - and I'm leaning towards this. I think that my last years Track day in summer started this issue - it killed the turbos instantly and the engine just died a slow death.

Anyways looks like I will be getting a 90k km. BRV RS6 Plus engine tomorrow. Trying to haggle a bit but I'm sure I'll buy it. £3k with a set of turbos and with all looms and bits - just no airbox.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:01 pm

Sounds decent enough. Can you pull the rocker covers off and check the wear on the cam chain tensioners? On 90K, you should see a bit of wear on them, but not mega. However, replace em while the new motor is out. And Bufkin pipe, SAI blockoff (if you want) etc. Sooooo much easier while motor is out. Also, 90K on stock turbos, the thrust washers & seals will be starting to wear - worth considering doing them as well. Oh, and review EGT & upper lambda sensors too.......all that stuff that just makes your heart sink if you have to do it once the motor's back in.

I dunno what mileage your blown motor has, but I know the top end of mine on 90K is a bit cleaner (oil/varnish wise) than your one that just blew. What was it on, 140Kish maybe?

One more note. Generally, when a motor lets go like that, replacing oil coolers is a must. At the very least, Very very thoroughly flush through the oil cooler & lines, multiple times, with petrol or paraffin, and a 100psi air gun on your compressor. There is no such thing as too clean when it's the innerds of an oil system.

V!per
3rd Gear

Post by V!per » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:07 am

Thanks Matt
All the work is scheduled - SAI removal, new separate oil coolers and new set of hoses and of course the new engine will be looked at as well before butting it in. Want to cover everything while it's all out. don't want to spend a penny on it for next few years(apart from standard consumables) There was a lot of metal bits in the pan so Most likely whole system has it.
My guy knows his stuff - I'm sure he will get all the stuff done + more.

My engine has done only 115k miles. This engine is 90k but in kilometres so around 56k miles ;)

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”