Cold starting problem

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Cold starting problem

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:55 pm

Nope. Maybe your ODB port has been disabled.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:09 pm

Why would it have been disabled ? Is that a common thing ? Can I reverse it ?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:11 pm

Yes, it's a good idea. Helps prevent theft. I'm sure it can be reversed. Try the other cable first though. Maybe ask the previous owner if he disabled it.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Post by Ben_r1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:00 pm

Dude I’m pretty sure it was under £30 for a genuine Audi one and it’s a very common sensor used across the range, my stealer parts man knew the number off by heart.

Location is right hand side rear as you look at it. In a metal coolant pipe that runs around the side and back of engine.

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:41 pm

Yeah I am going to get one anyway, just wanted to run a scan and clear any codes. I still have that little orange engine light thingy ma bobby on the dash which will need clearing ?

Also the garage that supposedly fixed the car in the first place managed to take a scan and read faults ? So I am thinking it's not been disabled ? Or they would not have been able to get the results ?

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:52 pm

Ignore. Replying to old post.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:07 pm

Mark-RS wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:41 pm
Also the garage that supposedly fixed the car in the first place managed to take a scan and read faults ? So I am thinking it's not been disabled ? Or they would not have been able to get the results ?
Good point. Probably your mate's reader can't do KWP2000 or whatever protocol the RS6 uses for comms.

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:51 pm

Just got off the phone with Audi and they say there are around 5 different temp sensors.

He thinks the one I need is £35 + VAT, but he did mention there are green ones and also brown ones and he is unsure which one I would need ? I'm sure he said they run at a different Bar, so I need to be sure to get the right one.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:15 pm

Wow. They never get less retarded. Different bar? Priceless.

There's only one coolant temp sender. It's green FWIW. Have a look in the parts catalogue.

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:57 pm

Yeah I was kinda wondering what he was on about when he was mentioning Bar... And I'm a mechanical idiot....

He did sound like he had some gold chains around his neck though and a baseball cap on, some Adidas trackies and some air max to walk around in.

Anyway, he also said that it needed to be ordered from the main factory and would be 2-3 days :-(

So instead I am just thinking to get this ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VW-CO ... xycmBS9enD

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:59 pm

Noooo! Avoid the Ebay specials!

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:09 pm

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:12 pm

Any VAG dealer will have tons in stock. Worst case, call Stoke Audi and they'll send you one.

/were you able to scan your car?

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:37 pm

It says genuine.... ? Is it not then ?

I'll just go direct with Audi then.

He cannot locate the other scanner so not tried yet.

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:03 pm

Just picked up the car from the garage. Coolant temp sensor all sorted now. They said the one that was in there was corroded to hell, so I guess there is no way it was changed !

They also said when they removed the air filters the N/S Air mass meter was disconnected. They have no idea why.

They have now reconnected it and told me to see how it goes over the next few days.

Well.....

The drive home was AWFUL ! Revs were unstable, the car seemed to want to surge quite often. It would hold revs and stay in gear for longer and then when breaking seems to jolt into the low gears, I guess as the engine wants to surge and rev...

Would these issues be related to the air flow meter thing ? Seems odd that it was disconnected, but if it's faulty it makes sense to unplug it and hide the issue.

Am I to expect a ridiculous bill ? My first of many ?

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”