Cold starting problem

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Mark-RS
4th Gear

Cold starting problem

Post by Mark-RS » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:52 pm

Before I bought the car I was told it had a cold start issue that would be fixed before I bought it.

I have the paperwork for the problem, but it seems the issue was never actually resolved as the car still fails to start first time from cold on occasion.

If you keep trying after several times it will eventually fire but runs like a dog for 30 seconds or so before it idles smoothly.

The fault was apparently traced to a temp sensor which was making the car think it was at 94 degrees all the time. The sensor was replaced and the issue supposedly fixed.

Since buying the car this issue has returned. I have also noticed that the rad fans seem to want to run at full speed all the time.

Also now the engine management light has come on after a poor start yesterday. It's not the EPC light, but the little starter motor looking thing.... After some research it's linked to running poorly ? Bad fuel ? Emisions etc.... Which would make sense if it runs like crap for a while on most start ups ?

Here are a few pics of the paperwork.... And faults...
20180131_174315.jpg
20180131_174256.jpg
Basically looking for some advice. The garage that did the work is a near 3 hour drive from me so it's out of the question to take it back to them. So I need to try and sort it myself as cheaply as possible.

Thanks guys. Appreciate your time.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Cold starting problem

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:05 pm

Could be the temp sender again. They fail often. If it was replaced with an ebay special it wouldn't surprise me at all that it failed again quickly.

A Vagcom would really help in this situation. Have you got one?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:29 pm

No Vagcom yet, but I do have a friend who has a reader and a phone app that he says should be able to read codes and clear faults. Is this the same sort of thing ?

Ajc
4th Gear

Post by Ajc » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:56 pm

It probably won't be throwing up a code , But if the reader can show engine temp then it may be of use .
Where abouts are you ? , Maybe someone local with Vagcom can plug it in for you .
Cheers Al

04 c5 rs6 , Ebony Black, Bare shell repaint , Milltek's, PSS9's,Hotchkis Arb's,Gutted precats, hybrid turbos, Bosch 044 ,And an annoying EML light

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:57 pm

I'm in northants area. Anyone local ish ?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:11 pm

It'll be throwing a code because the MIL is on. Probably just misfires though. Still, without checking who knows?

An OBD2 reader that can do live readings might help. If it's just a code reader then it'll be of limited usefulness.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

kvxxy
2nd Gear

Post by kvxxy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:46 pm

This sounds like pretty much the exact issue I had a while back. Turned out to be a coolant sensor. Replaced it with a oem part and it cured the problem. It’s only £40 from TPS as well. The previous sensor fitted was a cheap one, it was corroded in as well and was a pain to take out. Like shopp said, avoid the eBay specials.

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:58 pm

Is it easy for me to get to ? To pull out and look at ? Going to try the car on this phone app in the next day or so to see if it will return a live reading of the temp.

I'm hoping I can do it myself as the garage charged the previous owner just shy of £300 for doing it... Or not doing it, as seems to be the case.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:14 pm

It's an easy job. 300 seems a bit excessive. There's no point looking at it. You can't tell anything visually.

You could try displaying the coolant temp on the AC controls. Might not tell you anything useful. See FAQ.

Richard J
Neutral

Post by Richard J » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:16 pm

There may be more than one temp sensor. Also engine speed sensor is crank sensor and can cause similar starting issues particularly on warm engine.

Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Post by Ben_r1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:16 am

My rad fans were also always running flat out. I replaced the coolant temp sensor and sorted the issue. Was relatively cheap from Audi too, just be sure to get the seal and a new clip that holds it in.

Changing it however was an absolute pita, there is minimal room to work with, the plug refused to come off after several attempts I broke the clip and the sensor was corroded in tight. Obviously if yours has been done previously not an issue for you.

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:50 pm

Where exactly is the sensor ? Back left hand side of the engine ?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:24 pm

For FAQ's sake.

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:55 pm

Ah....

I see what you did there :P

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:47 pm

The scanner we had didn't work. It didn't show any signs of life at all. Tried it in his BMW and it worked fine... There isn't a switch to activate the port by any chance ? he has another one, different one we are going to try tomorrow.

And TPS is trade only it seems ? Any other options for a quality sensor ?

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”