Super exciting! Major maintenance (might also be overselling it)

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Astrosquirrel
3rd Gear

Super exciting! Major maintenance (might also be overselling it)

Post by Astrosquirrel » Wed May 10, 2017 6:24 am

Hi all
I have set aside a budget of around 11.5kgbp/13.6k euro to "invest" (lol) on the RS. With that I'm planning to do:

Standard Plan:
  • Timing belt
  • Water pump
  • O2 sensors
  • MAFS
  • Gearbox rebuild/uprate
  • TC uprate
  • Brakes
  • Exhaust replacement
Suggested so far:
  • Cooler pipes
  • EGT sensors
  • Crank oil seals
  • Cam dephasers
  • Buffkin pipe
  • Coolant pipe round back of engine
  • F125
  • Hybrid turbos
  • Remove pre-cat
  • All rubber piping
  • Diff bearings and seals
  • offside front brake line
  • Oil pressure switch
  • Bolts on steering rack
  • Secondary Air Delete
This is going to happen most probably this winter. Ideally as you can probably guess from above , I want to do all major - engine out - maintenance/preventive work.

With your vast experience and knowledge, would you guys be so kind and add to the list?

I'm aware the budget won't cover all what's (will be) listed, so a prioritization will then take place​.

Cheers :thumbs:
Last edited by Astrosquirrel on Wed May 10, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

chunky79
Cruising

Re: Super exciting! Major maintenance (might also be overselling it)

Post by chunky79 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:32 am

There have been a fair few threads with the info in mate, might be worth having a search through. It also depends on if you want to upgrade everything or not, brakes, zorst, suspension.......
Might be worth looking at your cooler pipework behind the grill too.
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

Astrosquirrel
3rd Gear

Post by Astrosquirrel » Wed May 10, 2017 6:50 am

Thanks, yeah to be fair I just started this project so I'll be researching many of these through the forum indeed.

Priority is maintenance/preventive work over upgrading (Except for the TC and the box)

bilko1
Top Gear

Post by bilko1 » Wed May 10, 2017 7:59 am

I would add cam chain tensioners, bufkin pipe (in oil cooler) and EGT sensors.
Avus Avant, RNS-E mk2 with sds and Bluetooth, Milltek, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Forge, ITG, A.C.E, Wagner, FBMFSW, MTM.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed May 10, 2017 8:05 am

Crank oil seals
Cam dephasers
Buffkin pipe
Coolant pipe round back of engine if necessary
F125
Hybrid turbos
Remove pre-cat
All rubber piping
Diff bearings and seals
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

simonpoulton
3rd Gear

Post by simonpoulton » Wed May 10, 2017 9:24 am

One of the bolts on the steering rack is rumoured to be an engine out issue, so check the condition of the rack.
Also for me, offside front brake line as that snakes through the steering rack chamber and can't be done with the rack in. It's a 16 quid bit.
Oil pressure switch!
If you hybrid your turbos, replace the studs holding it on as that will help in the future
Current: RS6 C5 Avant, E60 5 Series, '78 Mini (Queued for restoration)
Past: R56 Mini Cooper S

Ajc
4th Gear

Post by Ajc » Wed May 10, 2017 8:21 pm

Secondly air delete. Although you can get to the combi valves with the engine in situ , on a bench it would be so much easier.
Cheers Al

04 c5 rs6 , Ebony Black, Bare shell repaint , Milltek's, PSS9's,Hotchkis Arb's,Gutted precats, hybrid turbos, Bosch 044 ,And an annoying EML light

Astrosquirrel
3rd Gear

Post by Astrosquirrel » Wed May 10, 2017 8:58 pm

Nice, thank you all and keep them coming please :thumbs:
simonpoulton wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 9:24 am
One of the bolts on the steering rack is rumoured to be an engine out issue, so check the condition of the rack.
Thanks, found this about it:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96281

Shoppinit wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 8:05 am
Hybrid turbos
I have a lot to learn. I didn't even know this was a thing. Found some info on the topic here (of all places :lol:):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-RS6-C5-V ... 2749953783

I won't be doing that. I will not be tuning the car.

bilko1 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 7:59 am
bufkin pipe (in oil cooler).
Thanks. I found some info on that here:
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23906 ... mes-Bufkin

Let's see where I can get that.... :? (not the plastic one)

Ajc wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 8:21 pm
Secondly air delete.
Can't find any info on that :(

Ajc
4th Gear

Post by Ajc » Wed May 10, 2017 10:18 pm

Sia , or secondary air injection pump . Sorry my auto correct jumped in before . The pumps are common for going on them and are only used for the first minute or so or a cold start to heat the pre cats to get them up to temperature and help with emissions. Not needed in this country anyway .I've pulled my system at the weekend .

With regards to hybrids, you can have your existing turbos rebuilt and respec'd to Improve drivability .it shouldn't cost you anywhere near as much as those ones on eBay. Plus if they at sure new turbos , they won't be genuine units at that price . You wouldn't get one standard one for that price from audi . I had mine rebuild and machined to accept bigger internals last year for around half of that price . If nothing else I would suggest having the existing units gone though and a new set of seals whilst the engine is out . Even if you do decide to leave the car in standard form. Though I assure you . You'll get used to the power and if your anything like me you'll be chasing more power .
Cheers Al

04 c5 rs6 , Ebony Black, Bare shell repaint , Milltek's, PSS9's,Hotchkis Arb's,Gutted precats, hybrid turbos, Bosch 044 ,And an annoying EML light

bilko1
Top Gear

Post by bilko1 » Thu May 11, 2017 2:43 pm

Avus Avant, RNS-E mk2 with sds and Bluetooth, Milltek, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Forge, ITG, A.C.E, Wagner, FBMFSW, MTM.

Astrosquirrel
3rd Gear

Post by Astrosquirrel » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:49 pm

Hi guys, I know this is an old thread but I had some set backs and now I'm finally getting to doing this. I've researched and compiled a bunch of data on what I'd like to do.

If you're feeling bored and would like to give me a hand, I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have. I'd be rather grateful if you could keep the jargon easy enough for a newbie to understand.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14ykJ_ ... hE_L8wzzcU

Cheers and happy easter.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:00 am

You don't list all the timing belt bits like the tensioners and pulleys. Probably you want to do all the accessory belt bits, too.

Looks like your engine will be coming out anyway. Might as well do all the difficult to access stuff listed above.

Rockauto do dephasers that are a lot cheaper than OE and less spurious than random ebay suppliers of pads... You might want to consider them.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Astrosquirrel
3rd Gear

Post by Astrosquirrel » Fri May 03, 2019 9:28 am

Shoppinit wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:00 am
You don't list all the timing belt bits like the tensioners and pulleys. Probably you want to do all the accessory belt bits, too.

Looks like your engine will be coming out anyway. Might as well do all the difficult to access stuff listed above.

Rockauto do dephasers that are a lot cheaper than OE and less spurious than random ebay suppliers of pads... You might want to consider them.
Hi Shop, thanks very much indeed, helpful as always! :beerchug:

Really I have tried every where to understand what Phasers and Dephasers are, but I have a great deal of conflictive info. I have also not found them in the Repair and Maintenance software. I even found the very Nerdy thread you made some years ago in which your went down to the code with another forum member to try and figure out the angle of positioning. But still I dont' understand if that's the actual name of the piece, or a slang for phasers.....I am just too new to that level of detail.

The timing belt components are all included in my agreement with the workshop, so that side's good.

Car will be picked up next week,

Unfortunately I didn't find any reliable information on uprating either the TC or the Gbox, so they will be rebuilt to spec either through ZF or an independent workshop. The age of the car is really starting to show...

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri May 03, 2019 9:38 am

The dephasers are the variable valve timing actuators. The bits that change the inlet cam timing.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... cc=1411401

Don't know why they are only listing the bank 1 actuator at the moment.

Astrosquirrel
3rd Gear

Post by Astrosquirrel » Fri May 03, 2019 10:42 am

Shoppinit wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:38 am
The dephasers are the variable valve timing actuators. The bits that change the inlet cam timing.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... cc=1411401

Don't know why they are only listing the bank 1 actuator at the moment.
Thanks Shop. Very grateful!.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”