Door lock issue.

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Mr Footlong
Cruising

Re: Door lock issue.

Post by Mr Footlong » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:03 am

Well,it was good while it lasted..... The door locks themselves are working fine, but whatever microswitch it is that detects the driver door opening so that it can beep that I left the lights on has died again. I am nursing a very dead battery on the 6 as the 4 is eating the cash currently for the gearbox rebuild going on at MRC.

I got out of the car at the office yesterday morning, not realising that I had left the sidelights on (all LED jobs so not pulling tons of juice really), as the car didn't buzz me to turn them off. Four hours later I had to move the car to allow someone to park a big van up against a side door and dead as a dodo, yey......

This was the problem that I used to have before the lock assembly was changed and afterwards it was lovely, until now :(.
Current:

"Brutus"- C5 RS6 Avant - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats - Wagner ICs - PSS9 - H&R ARBs - OZ Superturismo LM - C6 Custom brakes - HD RNS-E - Various other bits - 555PS/832Nm

Gone:
"Taz"- C7 RS6 - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats, uprated fuel pumps, race plugs, 745PS/1095Nm
12' Cayenne Turbo, B7 RS4, S3, Cupra R, XJR, EVO VII, STI8,5,2&WRX, 106 GTI&XSI, other crap.

Ajc
4th Gear

Post by Ajc » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:11 pm

As I said that's the same problem I had with the eBay locks . I keep meaning to pull it apart and see if I can fix it but haven't got round to it yet
Cheers Al

04 c5 rs6 , Ebony Black, Bare shell repaint , Milltek's, PSS9's,Hotchkis Arb's,Gutted precats, hybrid turbos, Bosch 044 ,And an annoying EML light

philS2
1st Gear

Post by philS2 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Word of warning about the cheap locks.
I had both original genuine fronts replaced by the dealer when I bought the car (with cheap one's, as they were paying) as they wouldn't shut properly.
The puddle light and interior light stopped working on the drivers side after eight months, so I stripped it.
The micro switch had oxidised. Also a small spring on one of the motors had uncoiled itself, so I pulled it out. Still seemed to work ok.
Like a tool, I sorted the switch and disregarded the spring.
Once back together,I put the door card back on loose and proceeded to shut the door.
For the next few days, no matter what I tried, it would not open. I could hear and feel the point of resistance on both handles.
Long story short, I had to remove the B pillar trim and cut the latch bolts off, and replaced the lock with a scrap yard genuine one and filled it with spray grease (helps a lot)
I thought it was my fault until two days later, yep, the untouched passenger side door jammed.
Same deal. Cut the latch bolts off. F%ck my boots, I couldn't believe it.
Must admit the passenger side did, now and then, stick shut and a couple of lock/unlocks got it open, so should have addressed it before now.
Just wanted to let anyone know that you don't have to destroy your door card if you find your door jammed.
Anyway, as a precautionary measure, take the crap one's out now.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:44 pm

^good tip.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:29 am

Well, my cheap nearside front micro switch has also failed. Only found out on Saturday when the wife open the car and jumped in the passenger seat, then all the doors locked themselves. Glad I put a genuine one in the drivers door, cause that's harder to replace.
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:11 am

More tales of woes..... I started to replace my rear O/S door latch the other day, only to find that the part I had bought was for the N/S. D'oh!
Daytona RS6 Avant
Rule #36 - At least one gear shall be dropped for every tunnel travelled

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:17 am

Edit: It hadn't completely failed, just kept saying won't DESAFE so I got an OE second hand replacement.
Daytona RS6 Avant
Rule #36 - At least one gear shall be dropped for every tunnel travelled

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

simonpoulton
3rd Gear

Post by simonpoulton » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:47 am

What is actually failing in the OE ones? Is there a mechanical rebuild we can do on them using bits from a cheap aftermarket one? My passenger one is going, mainly due to my partner closing the door like the hulk.
Current: RS6 C5 Avant, E60 5 Series, '78 Mini (Queued for restoration)
Past: R56 Mini Cooper S

Mr Footlong
Cruising

Post by Mr Footlong » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:46 am

I might have actually been being a mong. My phosphate levels are quite down currently and when that happens my noggin doesn't work quite right, a niggling condition called hypophosphatemia. I think that I may have just somehow not noticed the beeping when I got out on the first day when I drained the battery, then for the subsequent tests, while I had the car turned off, I think I left the key in the ignition and opened the door, expecting it to beep.....

I can't get it to go wrong again now, it beeps every time that I take the key out with door open and lights left on, will just keep an eye out for it. Got a new battery too finally.
Current:

"Brutus"- C5 RS6 Avant - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats - Wagner ICs - PSS9 - H&R ARBs - OZ Superturismo LM - C6 Custom brakes - HD RNS-E - Various other bits - 555PS/832Nm

Gone:
"Taz"- C7 RS6 - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats, uprated fuel pumps, race plugs, 745PS/1095Nm
12' Cayenne Turbo, B7 RS4, S3, Cupra R, XJR, EVO VII, STI8,5,2&WRX, 106 GTI&XSI, other crap.

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:06 pm

Mr Footlong wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:46 am
I can't get it to go wrong again now, it beeps every time that I take the key out with door open and lights left on, will just keep an eye out for it. Got a new battery too finally.
Darth used to beep if I left the lights on, the mental manual doesn't. Which I found out after flying back from Chicago a couple of years ago. It seemed a common issue for airport parking, they had a monster jumpstarter pack, when I commented the guy said it was due to the previous jumpstarter packs not being able to bump Bentley Continentals, those things have two massive batteries.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Wed May 31, 2017 10:36 am

I thought I'd just follow up on this post. I've previously recommended the non-oem door lucks, having had a good experience with my passenger one. I've now recently replaced my drivers one and in accordance with some other people's experiences, the microswitch has failed almost instantly. Consequently, I would no longer feel able to recommend them and I've just ordered a new OEM one for my wagon.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Mr Footlong
Cruising

Post by Mr Footlong » Wed May 31, 2017 11:02 am

Same here, apart from opening/closing a lot better, the microswitch is farked. How much was the OE one Matt?
Current:

Gone:

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Wed May 31, 2017 11:29 am

Well - I found a NOS OEM one for 40 quid...

bilko1
Top Gear

Post by bilko1 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:28 pm

Think I paid £98 from TPS for mine when I did it.
Avus Avant, RNS-E mk2 with sds and Bluetooth, Milltek, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Forge, ITG, A.C.E, Wagner, FBMFSW, MTM.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:40 pm

I've dismantled the failed lock and it's 100% for sure the microswitch. Given they're nice other than the shoddy switch, I've ordered a new microswitch which I'll try out on my passenger side one.
Obvs drivers side is now OEM and can stay that way.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”