4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Cam chain tensioners/pads removal and replacement guide

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:36 pm

Jayjay101 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:02 pm
I have never seen an engine bay that would benefit more from an R8 coolant cap.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:40 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:36 pm
😂
RS6 C5 Avant 2003 Daytona Grey
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Jayjay101
4th Gear

Post by Jayjay101 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:57 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Jayjay101 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:02 pm
Got one coming from Santa ready for the new year mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c5 rs6 owner thats been known to cut the wrong wire.............

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:52 am

Just made some measurements yesterday following the replacement of the chains and tensioners pads, and I'm not so happy with the results : on group measurements 93 (long term phase or whatever it's called in English): I read - 1 on Bank 1 and - 5 on Bank 2. From memory it's still within specs, and the engine feels and idles very well, however I would have liked the numbers to look better.
Well, should I worry? And if yes what should be done to fix this?

Thanks!
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:07 am

The acceptable range is between +3 and -1. You’re quite a long way out on bank 2.

Could you have miscounted the chainlinks? The gap is not the same on bank 1 and 2.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:29 am

Ooops, no good news then. 😥Need to check with the mechanic who did the job, but yeah I heard about the gap difference between bank 1&2 for those chains. Hopefully he made quite a few photos which could help to identify the problem.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:52 am

Could be a Tippex special job on the cam belt. You see that kind of timing error there.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:29 am

I found there is some extra finesse possible on the cambelt. Basically, the clearance between teeth on the sprockets and belt isn't zero - so there's a bit of backlash possible.

In short, once you have the belt on, the tensioners taking the load and the the cam sprocket bolts up finger tight, but the brace still on you can just nudge the sprockets to preload the belt the right way. Then tighten up a bit, crank it over a turn or 2 by hand and recheck. Without doing this, I found that cranking it over a couple of times caused the belt to settle enough that I couldn't then get the brace back on - but doing this (a couple of goes), it came back 100% perfect.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:32 am

Oh, the other thing I found is it's all a right ballache doing the belt with the lock carrier in place - so TBH I just pull it off and accept that I'll need to recharge the AC & refill fluids - but as part of a "major", that's par for the course anyway.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:41 am

I don’t think he’ll be able to make up 4 degrees doing it that way. I think he’ll have to lock up the cam and crank and redo the tension. Assuming it’s the timing, that is.

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:02 am

If it can help: just talked to the mechanic and he said he checked 3 times the chains timing which is indeed different between banks. He also mentionned he did clean the tensioners (that have not been changed, just the pads) thoroughly and checked the springs, so normally issue there in his opinion.

As far as the cam belt is concerned, he's done it many times with the special bar tool, and again he is pretty sure the alignment is good, although it would be worth checking whether the tensioners/springs (of the timing belt kit of course, not the cam chains) have not been tighten too much.

But as Shoppinit rightly pointed out, could that explain those 4 degrees difference? And if not what could cause this? Ta!
Last edited by Classik on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:02 am

And thanks for the above tips ^^ I'll definetely check this with him.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:04 am

@Shopp - Sorry - that was what I meant - everything locked up as per the procedure, but just putting a bit of preload on the belt the right way. But you're also right, defo not 5 degrees. Maybe 1.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:22 am

Have you checked how much dephasing you are getting? Might be a seized dephaser.

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:31 am

Not sure I understand (sorry for my English). Do you mean : what are thg extreme dephasing values I get under different engine loads? I suppose you are talking about the short term values (Measuring block 90?) ? Can't translate 'Seized dephaser', sorry.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”