DIY - How to save your oil cooler

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: DIY - How to save your oil cooler

Post by Shoppinit » Wed May 27, 2020 9:42 am

Classik, what makes you think it's Setrab that makes the OE one?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Wed May 27, 2020 9:43 am

I can confirm this is correct - I have been doing that for the last couple of months.
sweegie wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:39 am
I'd wager that the middle of a pandemic is a great time to learn to TIG weld.... :thumbs:
Last edited by Mɐʇʇ on Wed May 27, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Wed May 27, 2020 9:44 am

Shoppinit wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:42 am
Classik, what makes you think it's Setrab that makes the OE one?
Attachments
2014-11-26 20.17.25.jpg
Last edited by Mɐʇʇ on Wed May 27, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed May 27, 2020 9:47 am

In that case, maybe contact their distributor in France?

Goodridge France
Damazia Bellut
Tel: +33 (1) 64 38 44 44

or UK

Serck Motorsport
Graham Smith
Tel: +44 (0)208 813 7470

Get it from the horse's mouth?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Wed May 27, 2020 9:48 am

Edited - found the photo I took of the Sticker in 2014.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed May 27, 2020 9:49 am

I bet they are expensive because they are specific to the RS6 and just a low volume run. Maybe if you buy a batch from the distributor they'll be a better price. I'd be up for a spare one if the price is correct.

Also, can anyone remember offhand if the oil comes out the same side as it goes in? Or does it go across and out?

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Wed May 27, 2020 10:04 am

Both oils are across and out the other side.

However, it's also a myth (IMVHO) that the engine oil warms the trans oil - only point they touch is where're they in contact on adjacent sides of the end caps - which is tiny.
So if I needed a new cooler - and TIG welding a new union (in a standard AN size) wasn't an option - I'd probably just go with seperate standard shape coolers. There's plenty of space and they're well hidden from view - although I appreciate it's not then OEM shape & size.

It's also a somewhat tricky repair since you don't want to get swarf inside the cooler - @Classik I am sure a local place should be able to weld a new end on for you though. Just make sure you flush the cooler very very very thoroughly after.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed May 27, 2020 10:29 am

That's exactly where I was going with that question.

sweegie
4th Gear

Post by sweegie » Wed May 27, 2020 1:37 pm

Mɐʇʇ wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:04 am
However, it's also a myth (IMVHO) that the engine oil warms the trans oil - only point they touch is where're they in contact on adjacent sides of the end caps - which is tiny
Yep, and would be unneeded too, as the ATF is heated by the engine coolant instead....
Recycling dinosaurs for fun

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed May 27, 2020 1:47 pm

I would look at using separate rads if I have to replace my oil cooler. Only a third of the rad is used for ATF cooling. The other 2 thirds are for cooling the oil so I'd probably get a bigger oil cooler than ATF cooler.

I'd be slightly concerned about over-cooling the ATF since the box doesn't like that. I don't think there's a thermostat on the ATF so I guess its temperature is more or less regulated by the heat exchange in the coolant rad. I guess it'd be a suck and see approach.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Wed May 27, 2020 2:32 pm

@Classik. Send Mr Footlong a PM. He had a spare cooler with all the hoses still attached - and therefore it should be recoverable.
I was chatting with him about having it to refurb exactly as above ^^ - but we didn't quite come to an agreement - so he might still have it. This would solve your problem.

And at the risk of repeating myself.......any used cooler....flush, flush, & flush it again. And then again.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Wed May 27, 2020 2:38 pm

@Shopp : Agreed.

I've actually just taken the oil stat off my boat motor. On the last run, was getting higher oil temps than I was happy with - still just about OK, but a bit high. So have removed that stat and put a blanking plate in (the stat casting is still there). That has a large oil->water cooler, so I don't believe for a second that the issue is cooling capacity.

By the same token however, I have the oil temp sender right in the sump, where the oil is it's absolute hottest. So maybe all was OK all along.
Another case of suck it and see - probably find the oil runs right at 3C or whatever the sea temp is in the middle of summer, now.
Shoppinit wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:47 pm
I would look at using separate rads if I have to replace my oil cooler. Only a third of the rad is used for ATF cooling. The other 2 thirds are for cooling the oil so I'd probably get a bigger oil cooler than ATF cooler.

I'd be slightly concerned about over-cooling the ATF since the box doesn't like that. I don't think there's a thermostat on the ATF so I guess its temperature is more or less regulated by the heat exchange in the coolant rad. I guess it'd be a suck and see approach.

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Wed May 27, 2020 2:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestions & recommandations folks, I'll try to educate myself on the TIG welding front, but it would probably lead to buying very specialized tools that will be used only once (we've already had this discussion, haven't we? ;)).

@Shopp: I just called the French Setrab distributor: nice person, he'll be looking into this for us (I've mentioned others could be interested), but he suspects Setrab keeps these specific coolers for the 'official' Audi OEM distributors. More later.
Also I'd be happy to change cfor another dual cooler setup, but seems like the connectors and all that would need to be adapted, not quite an easy job, at least for me.

@Matt: just sent a PM to Mr Footlong, let's see what he's got for me, thanks for the suggestion.
Last edited by Classik on Thu May 28, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RS6 C5 Avant 2003 Daytona Grey
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Thu May 28, 2020 2:25 pm

The engine oil connectors are easy - just the same connector I linkyed at the beginning for the hose.
I haven't looked at the ATF unions - but I feel sure connectors would be possible off the shelf.
Classik wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:51 pm
Also I'd be happy to change cfor another dual cooler setup, but seems like the connectors and all that would need to be adapted, not quite an easy job, at least for me.

Classik
4th Gear

Post by Classik » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:47 pm

Hey Matt & all,
I've found a cooler sold with all surrounding pipes and the secondary oil cooler for what seems a decent price, see pictures below (still waiting for more pictures, in particular the front of the cooler).

The vendor says it didn't show any leaks but knowing the threads could be easily damaged, he decided not to unmount the pipes and to sell the whole lot instead.

What do you guys think, shall I take the opportunity, and what's the price you'd be ready to pay for the parts?

Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Classik on Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RS6 C5 Avant 2003 Daytona Grey
Loba 650 turbos - Wagner IC - 200 cells cats - Milltek cat-back - Hotchkis bars - Bilstein B16 - MTM Wheels - oem coolant cap

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”