HVAC fun in the sun

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Nobby
Top Gear

HVAC fun in the sun

Post by Nobby » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:08 pm

Hi chaps. I decided to give the Audi a quick once over at the weekend and a VCDS scan came up with the following error;

01810 - Actuating motor for temperature flap; right (V159)
41-10 - blocked or no voltage - intermittent

Removed the glove box as per elsawin instructions and found v159. It moves ok with the operation of the passenger side temperature buttons. Perhaps not as linear as I'd imagine -ie all the way open at 'high' and all the way closed at 'Lo' but isn't in the middle at the middle setting.

The only thing that I can find wrong with it is the even after moving it keeps clicking the motor a tiny bit, as if there is a signal which is telling it to move more. I opened the box up and it all seems pretty clean in there so before I order a new one I thought I'd just check whether this is definitely the problem.

Whilst I was in there I noticed a bracket that was empty - what is it for? Should there be something bolted to it?

Pic of the V159

The empty bracket - the aluminum one at the top

Cheers
Chris
Daytona RS6 Avant
Rule #36 - At least one gear shall be dropped for every tunnel travelled

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: HVAC fun in the sun

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:39 pm

That bracket looks like what holds the TMC/ CANbus module.

/On second thoughts... is that directly behind the glovebox? Mine definitely has a module there.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:43 pm

Directly behind the glovebox Ben. Couldn't find any spare wires or connectors though.
Daytona RS6 Avant

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:51 pm

Mmm. What's the part number on the bracket? Can't quite make it out.

For the motor it sounds like an end-stop microswitch isn't working and telling the motor it got to the right position. See anything inside that looks like a microswitch? Maybe a reed switch?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:05 pm

Not really, but I couldn't take it completely apart without unsoldering 3 pins off and underneath it seemed to be where a sensor might be.

I'll have another look for the P/N on that bracket. Already been searching the elsawin guides for other things that need the glovebox removing to get to.
Daytona RS6 Avant

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:16 pm

Found it! It's supposed to be for the control unit for electronic adjustable steering wheel - which mine hasn't got (phew!)
Daytona RS6 Avant

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:22 pm

Pauper. Bet you've got a Happy Shopper 3 spoke wheel, too. ;)

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:08 pm

Thanks for the sympathy Ben. I hope you are all organising a whip around for me :boohoo:

There seem to be quite a few second hand V159's on ebay or new ones for nearer £70 (!). I've found out how to reset them via VCDS so I will give that a go and if it doesn't clear the errors that I will order another and pray that sorts it.
Daytona RS6 Avant

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:58 pm

I've got a theory that Ben has installed a completely exploded 1/10th model of the C5 RS6 in his office. Weirdo (based on my theory).
No matter where you go, there you are.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:26 pm

It's probably not too far wrong to say that I've got one tenth of an RS6 scattered around in there in bits.

It's definitely not wrong to say I'm a weirdo. As well you know. But thanks for leaving it plausibly deniable.

RSKiwi
5th Gear

Post by RSKiwi » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:54 am

Talk about thread resurrection but Nobby did you ever solve the V159 issue?

I have had the C5 Im looking at inspected and it has a couple of fault codes spring up and this is one of them.

Gone
MRC'd B7 RS4
B6 3.0 A4
C5 A6
Pug 405 NZ Touring Car
Jeep Cherokee (we all have things we are ashamed of)
Toyota Landcruiser
1963 Beige rat look VW Beetle 1.3 no performance engine

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”