I changed my gearbox oil.....

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Nobby
Top Gear

I changed my gearbox oil.....

Post by Nobby » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:40 pm

....and it seems fine (touch wood). A tiny bit smoother (upshifts have always been smooth, downshifts a little less so).

I know there are guides already on the web about how to do it but I thought I'd just share how my change went.

My oil was quite dark so I suspect it was the original oil (@ 90k) but some of my oil lines/coolers look in good nick so it might have been topped up atleast since it was made. There was a tiny leak at one corner of the gasket, so when I drained it checked the level and it seemed good. At 37degrees there was a tiny (and I mean tiny like little drip forming) when I remove the filler plug.
The oil didn't smell that bad either, just like regular smelly gearbox oil. Infact the new stuff smelt almost a little fishy??

There were no bronzed bits in the oil (from the clutch plates) or any chunks of metal but the magnets did have small amount of 'furring'. I've seen much much worse on the internet.

The oil filter I ordered was exactly the same as the one already fitted and the pickup pipe was 20mm long which I believe is the right one. I didn't remove any other gubbins so didn't check if I had a cracked pipe. Once drained I had 5.3 litres of oil in the bucket, and leaving overnight got out another few drops. I was thinking of titlting the car overnight (foward?) to see if any more came out but I suspect the remaing oil is buried much further into the gearbox. According to the Audi manual you need to the remove the TC to drain it anyway and that must hold a fair bit.

All was ok with the removaly appart from 4 bolts on the sump. The T25 torqs just seem a tiny bit too small - even on the new ones, so I'd recommend buying new ones (you need x26) when you refit. The bad ones were easy to get out though with a pair of mole grips.
When I ordered all the bits the chap wasn't sure which bolts were needed to hold the filter on so I got 2 sets, and ofcourse neither of them were correct. I re-used the old one which were in excellent condition.

Refitting the next day went fine. One tip for the sump pan - once you've cleaned up the pan then take a pen and write on all the tightening order on the sump. If you are under then car (and its on axel stands) its hard to keep checking a bit of paper. Write them on the sump then its much easier.

When filling it took just over 4 litres for 1st fill. Then when started took under 2 more litres before it started tricking out. After going through the gears a tiny bit came back out so I think the gearbox level was near enough full when I had drained it.

I've still got 4 litres in the garage so I might do another change in 6 months time.

So, im summary.
- Be meticulously clean with everything.
- Buy all new bolts for the sump (aswell as new other bits)
- Write the tightening order on the sump.

One question: I disconnected my battery during the process so will this has reset by TCU?

Nobby
Daytona RS6 Avant
Rule #36 - At least one gear shall be dropped for every tunnel travelled

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: I changed my gearbox oil.....

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Good write up. :thumbs:

Disconnecting the battery won't affect the TCU.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:23 pm

Did you check your transfer box oil? I always wonder how reliable the oil seal is between the box and the transfer box.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:07 pm

Didn't check the transfer case - had my rear output flange replaced (under warranty from MRC) and they replaced the oil.

Found this in the zf website too - quite helpful
http://www.zf.com/media/media/document/ ... 5HP24A.pdf

edit: also had one driveshaft seal done too (with oil)
Daytona RS6 Avant

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:58 am

Good write up and info Christopher.
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

audi_driver79
4th Gear

Post by audi_driver79 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:11 am

Sounds like another healthy gearbox! I got my oil changed about 10k ago and it was the first time, would it be a good idea to get it changed again now at around 90k? I know new oil is always good but will that have dislodged sufficient particles to warrant it? I've never noticed any problems with my gearbox except a slight leak before it had the oil change.
C5 RS6 Avant Mugello Blue, Koni Yellows & Original Springs.
1997 Audi Cabriolet 1.8 for when its Sunny!
2005 A2 Storm 1.4tdi 90bhp.

sweegie
4th Gear

Post by sweegie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:14 pm

Change the oil - you only drop about half of it at a time, so there's still mucky original stuff in there that's mingling with the new. I did mine twice with a seal conditioner put in with the first load of fresh fluid. WIll do it again in the summer as i have about 50 litres of the stuff left :)
Recycling dinosaurs for fun

mavada
Cruising

Post by mavada » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:36 pm

sweegie wrote:Change the oil - you only drop about half of it at a time, so there's still mucky original stuff in there that's mingling with the new. I did mine twice with a seal conditioner put in with the first load of fresh fluid. WIll do it again in the summer as i have about 50 litres of the stuff left :)
?
If you can't go to the track, bring the track to you.
Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant
Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control
Yellow Koni's
Porsche 959, gone but not forgotten.
Fight ALS disease https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGFDWTC8B8g

sweegie
4th Gear

Post by sweegie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:03 pm

Archoil AR-2300. It's an ester based cleaner and conditioner - should do a good job of removing any varnish from valve body solenoids too.
Recycling dinosaurs for fun

sulli
4th Gear

Post by sulli » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:17 pm

Fair play Nobby. I will be doing this at some point, possibly renting out ramp space. How long did it take, how much for all the bits and where did you get the right stuff?
Daytona RS6 saloon, KW v3s, Hotchkiss ARBs, Milltech non res, MRC
CI Granduca Motorhome!

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:13 pm

All parts from Audi excluding the oil which was from www.powerenhancer.co.uk (pentosin ATF1)

I'll dig out my receipts to show costs.

Took about 2 hours on Saturday, most of that was getting it level and removing the stuck bolts. Then maybe another 2 the next day after I left it overnight - probably not essential depending on the outside temperature too. When I did it it was about 5 degrees!
Daytona RS6 Avant

sulli
4th Gear

Post by sulli » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:21 pm

All on the drive then I take it?
CI Granduca Motorhome!

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:55 pm

Yep
Daytona RS6 Avant

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:45 am

If I was to do that on my drive it would take 2 days, as everyone in the street would come and stop me to see what I'm doing.
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

sulli
4th Gear

Post by sulli » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:17 am

Lol same here mate. Although I have a couple of petrolhead neighbours who I dare say would lend a hand!
CI Granduca Motorhome!

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”