DRC repair using home made fluid transfer tool

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
calvds
Neutral

DRC repair using home made fluid transfer tool

Post by calvds » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:05 pm

My near side front flexible hose to the shock absorber failed, probably due to cyclic fatigue caused by the motion of the shock traveling up and down over the ten years of life it has had.
The first signs i noticed were: lumpy weight transfer at the back, pitching whilst braking and eventually full deterioration of damping, akin to a bouncy castle!

After deciding i wanted to retain Dynamic Ride Control i set about researching the system; self study programme 244 Audi RS6 and the DRC video, both of which are in Mr Footlong's Audi technical file archive. They are invaluable and hold a lot of good information if you are considering this yourself.
So having done that i ordered two liters of hydraulic fluid and TWO front pipe/hose assemblies on the basis that the other side wouldn't be far away from failing. Arguably there is two hoses at the rear shocks too, however they are not subject to the same stress the front two are because they do not bend back on themselves 180 degrees, they follow a more meandering S shaped pattern and on inspection seemed sound.

I also ordered an o-ring set to have on hand in case it was required. They are not cheap so probably better getting some NBR rubber o-rings from polymax or similar (17mm id x 1 mm) & (12mm id x 1.5mm)

Fitting the parts is no harder than working on a brake system. The detail is in the refilling, obviously Audi could do this or there is third parties with the tool featured in the DRC video.
I decided to make my own. In essence it comprises of a vacuum pump, linear hand pump and the manifold to the charging hoses.

I followed the same procedure as the Audi video, coupling into the front shock and rear coupling diagonally.

With the couplings on i turned on the vacuum pumps to create a vacuum in the system, this also lets oil siphon down into the vacuum chamber (PVC waste pipe) 8)

I then closed the vacuum side of the manifold and opened the oil side and filled the system to 22 Bar, this is when the system is full by volume and the central valve is fully depressed. I then let the pressure drop back to 16 Bar, this gives the central valve the correct operating travel in the event both shocks compress concurrently.

Ignore all the gauge markings but the black ones, the left shows -1 bar the right 16 bar.

All in all it was successful, with the exception of one sheared fitting not directly involved in the refilling procedure.

Its a banjo fitting of sorts which threads into the shock absorber and can be seen in the 9th image down. I decided to tighten it and accidentally sheared it off!
So if anyone has an old front shock with one on it, could they assist?

Anyone thinking those discs look new? here is what happened to the old one!

Hope this is useful to someone

Cheers, C

bilko1
Top Gear

Re: DRC repair using home made fluid transfer tool

Post by bilko1 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:29 pm

Loving the homemade drc machine :bowdown:
Avus Avant, RNS-E mk2 with sds and Bluetooth, Milltek, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Forge, ITG, A.C.E, Wagner, FBMFSW, MTM.

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:50 pm

Well done! Super write up. Where are you? No doubt people will want to borrow your kit
Daytona RS6 Avant
Rule #36 - At least one gear shall be dropped for every tunnel travelled

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

Monstamuscle
Neutral

Post by Monstamuscle » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:59 am

Very smart!
Last edited by Monstamuscle on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Johnson
5th Gear

Post by John Johnson » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:06 am

Quality :bowdown: got a vac pump here for making silicon moulds so will deffo hang on to it :roll:
Current toys in the garage
B7 avant in Daytona with ceramics and a few other goodies and lowwwww miles :-)
Ur quattro. lago Blue
Ur quattro. Mars red

Rs1600i
Transit custom sportvan

http://youtu.be/FWBUl7oT9sA

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:31 am

Have you thought about selling it as a kit ;) ?

angryant
1st Gear

Post by angryant » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:16 am

Excellent post very informative!
Like the clock!

calvds
Neutral

Post by calvds » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:32 pm

Cheers for the comments folks! I'm in Ayrshire, Scotland.

Does anyone have an old shock with one of those fittings still in it?

Cheers, C

Gripper1
2nd Gear

Post by Gripper1 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:25 am

Excellent another ayrshire RS6er!

I was looking at options for replacing my saggy H&R's and recommisioning the drc is probably the ideal solution.

bilko1
Top Gear

Post by bilko1 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:43 am

calvds wrote:Cheers for the comments folks! I'm in Ayrshire, Scotland.

Does anyone have an old shock with one of those fittings still in it?

Cheers, C
Give Grizz or MRC a ring i'm sure they must have a few old shocks lying around.
Avus Avant, RNS-E mk2 with sds and Bluetooth, Milltek, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Forge, ITG, A.C.E, Wagner, FBMFSW, MTM.

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:54 pm

Brilliant work!
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

gmac78
2nd Gear

Post by gmac78 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:17 am

calvds, Aright mate i've just bought an 04 RS6 avant, i only had it a couple of days before coming offshore to work but noticed it's a very hard ride and seem to feel every wee bump or pothole, it's sounds like a slight clunking noise coming from front and rear suspension. I wouldn't say any one side is any worse than the other but don't think it's right. It could of course be other worn suspension components but haven't had time to check that out yet. The car has had DRC work carried out in the past but no saying it's not going again. I would like to keep the DRC if possible and liking your home made setup for recharging. I live through in Wishaw and wondering would it be possible to pop through some time to see what yours sounds like with sorted DRC.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:28 pm

Good job. Could you post a list of the parts you used to make this? Could potentially be an interesting project.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

iduff
1st Gear

Post by iduff » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:30 pm

Ancient thread resurrection alert!

@calvds, any though of providing some detail on how one could build their own DRC filling device, as you've so masterfully done?
B7 RS4 Sedan, Phantom Black Pearl
Valved non-resonated Milltek with 200-cell DPs, and JHM tune, 10mm spacers
B8.5 Allroad, Monsoon Grey
CPO, stock

Former Quattros
B5 S4 Sedan, C4 S6 Avant, Type 89 Coupe Quattro, Type 44 Quattro Sedan

SteveH
Top Gear

Post by SteveH » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:32 pm

thats legendary. I can remember that my DRC repair was about £4k warranty claim all those years ago! I love what you've done there and bow down to you sir!
Present:...
Lotus Evora GT410 Sport, Caterham 420R, CCM Spitfire, VW T2 Bay Window 1976

Past:
DB11 AMR, 992, 991.2, Yamaha MT01, 640d Gran Coupe, 635d Coupe, RS6 C5, Audi TT 225 Coupe, Astra with wind up windows, Citroen ZX, Rover 213, yes behold, a Rover 213... Renault 5

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”