Scuttle/Drain clearing

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Foxmeister
2nd Gear

Scuttle/Drain clearing

Post by Foxmeister » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:55 pm

So following on from my stereo issue im having, this apparently stems from moisture found under the carpet that oxidises the main cable connection

So im looking to find out what areas need clearing out for drains or similar, ive already removed wipers and plastic scuttle to find some odd leaves etc, but cant see any blockages or anything, is there any other known areas i should look for these?

I once found a small puddle in the spare wheel well when i was charging the battery, no idea where that came from

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Scuttle/Drain clearing

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:03 pm

Check that the AC drain isn't blocked. Check around the rear light clusters.

If there is water soaking the carpets then evaporation and condensation could mean some water in the spare wheel well. How much was there?

If you've got a sunroof, check the drain from that is clear.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 -- XC90 (V8, natch)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Foxmeister
2nd Gear

Post by Foxmeister » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:14 pm

Nice one Shopp

Was about a fingertip of water at best, dried out with some kitchen towel and not returned,

There is to me, a kinda fusty smell, so assume there has been moisture in there for a bit

Where is the AC drain exactly?

No sunroof, and i'll check the rear light seals also

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:17 pm

Sounds like it could have been condensate then.

AC drains through the floor near the transmission tunnel under the dash. You can see the rubber hose coming out from under the car.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:17 pm

Check the pollen filter seal/grommet, too. Doesn't have to fill up for in the scuttle area for water to leak in there.

Human Joist
3rd Gear

Post by Human Joist » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:54 pm

The rubber bung under the coolant reservoir was full of sludge and sealed up on mine. As soon as I poked it πŸ˜‹ it dropped out the bottom and then all the built up liquid πŸ’¦ ran away

ChrisA
3rd Gear

Post by ChrisA » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:33 pm

If anyone has a collection of pictures of all the places to check then I think they would be really useful in the FAQ post. πŸ‘

Capt Ric
3rd Gear

Post by Capt Ric » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:06 am

ChrisA wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:33 pm
If anyone has a collection of pictures of all the places to check then I think they would be really useful in the FAQ post. πŸ‘
Agreed! Thanks in advance.

Foxmeister
2nd Gear

Post by Foxmeister » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:11 am

Human Joist wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:54 pm
The rubber bung under the coolant reservoir was full of sludge and sealed up on mine. As soon as I poked it πŸ˜‹ it dropped out the bottom and then all the built up liquid πŸ’¦ ran away
Ooh matron...

Do you mean the bung fell out? Did you replace it or leave it out?

Foxmeister
2nd Gear

Post by Foxmeister » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:12 am

ChrisA wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:33 pm
Good idea :thumb:

Human Joist
3rd Gear

Post by Human Joist » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:08 pm

Foxmeister wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:11 am
Human Joist wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:54 pm
Ooh matron...

Do you mean the bung fell out? Did you replace it or leave it out?
Left it out mate. It’s there to protect the edge of the metal. I’ve sprayed some wax oil there as a better measure. If it’s not done before then I will get some pics over the next week or so when I’m on restdays

Return to β€œRS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”