Help ! I'm locked in my car !

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Mark-RS
4th Gear

Re: Help ! I'm locked in my car !

Post by Mark-RS » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:25 pm

Menu system does not seem to work, the little knob thing on the centre console is not actually attached to anything, just pulls straight off. Guess I should have replaced the lock when I replaced the window mech.... Didn't realise it would create this much aggro.... Just thought it was linked to the puddle lights not coming on, which I could live with :D

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:59 pm

Press the menu button.

Not that there’s anything in there relating to the locks anyway...
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Post by Weiß-sechs » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:04 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:59 pm
Press the menu button.

Not that there’s anything in there relating to the locks anyway...
Nope, think you can access auto lock via VCDS though.

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:13 am

Have they not put it in the system accessible from one of the stalks? Most cars with auto lock have a way of the owner changing it via an in dash menu system. BMW do. Even Kia do.

Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Post by Weiß-sechs » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:03 pm

Yeah, but 15 years old innit.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:56 am

Did you get to the bottom of this?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:40 pm

Nope, not yet. Not had a great deal of time on my hands.

It did do something else strange the other day though..... It locked, which it does about 75% of the time, however this time a minute or so later the little red LED's on top of the door pins started flashing, then about 10 seconds after that the indicators started flashing and the horn started blaring away !

Only way I could stop it was to stop the car, remove the key and press the unlock button.

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:46 pm

Ian_C wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:38 pm
Mark-RS wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:38 pm
Drivers door switch is certainly not working. Been like that since I got the car, as in the interior lights do not come on when opening the door. It's only the drivers door though, but never had the lock thing before.

Doors don't appear to lock themselves unless the car is actually started.

Only noticed it a few days ago as i saw a mate of mine walking to work, I beeped him and offered him a lift, but he couldn't get in.... With a Q of cars building behind me, I had to turn of the ignition and use the fob to open.... Felt like a proper tool !
Replace the drivers door switch pronto! :thumbs: :thumbs:

In the meantime, try always unlocking it via key-in-door (instead of using the keyfob). You'll need to put the key into the ignition with a certain time to disable the alarm (but it gives you plenty of time, 20 or 30 seconds from memory)
Mark-RS wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:40 pm
Nope, not yet. Not had a great deal of time on my hands.

It did do something else strange the other day though..... It locked, which it does about 75% of the time, however this time a minute or so later the little red LED's on top of the door pins started flashing, then about 10 seconds after that the indicators started flashing and the horn started blaring away !

Only way I could stop it was to stop the car, remove the key and press the unlock button.
That's not strange - that's completely normal if you haven't replaced the drivers door switch since the above posts.

If you haven't replaced the door switch, have you tried what I posted above?
B5 B6 B7 B9

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:07 pm

I actually didn't see the post ! Or skipped past it, so today I have been out in the car. Unlocked first with the key and it seemed to work fine. No auto locking ! Drove about 200 Mile round trip to Cambridge and Newmarket, stopped for lunch etc, each time unlocking with the fob..... Still no locking ! Maybe.... Just maybe..... It may have sorted the irritating issue for the time being until it's warm enough for me to play with the door lock/

Thanks !

Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Post by Ben_r1 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:45 am

Result

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:36 pm

Mark-RS wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:07 pm
I actually didn't see the post ! Or skipped past it, so today I have been out in the car. Unlocked first with the key and it seemed to work fine. No auto locking ! Drove about 200 Mile round trip to Cambridge and Newmarket, stopped for lunch etc, each time unlocking with the fob..... Still no locking ! Maybe.... Just maybe..... It may have sorted the irritating issue for the time being until it's warm enough for me to play with the door lock/

Thanks !
If you unlock on the fob, and the door switch is bust, the car doesn't know you've opened the door, hence the car will relock itself.
If you unlock on the key, and the door switch is bust, I'm certain the car will not relock

In the meantime, do not under any circumstance get out of the car with the engine running without inching down the drivers window a fraction, just in case!
B5 B6 B7 B9

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”