RNS-e or Pioneer SPH-DA120

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
benh999
3rd Gear

RNS-e or Pioneer SPH-DA120

Post by benh999 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:27 am

I want to upgrade my RNS-d however I’m torn between the RNS-e and the Pioneer SPH DA-120. I like the OE look of the Audi unit however how does it compare functionality wise against the Pioneer unit, can it play music from my iPhone etc?

Advice please :thumbs:

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: RNS-e or Pioneer SPH-DA120

Post by Shoppinit » Sat May 26, 2018 8:33 am

You can add iPhone functionality to the RNS-E, also bluetooth, etc., but there's no doubt they are getting long in the tooth. I personally am very pro-OE look, but I don't need my head unit to do much. Just play stuff from my iPhone and sound good. I use an xcarlink to get music from the iPhone to the head unit, but just recently it's started to play up. I don't know why. Sigh. It's never been a brilliant device, just adequate.

/Oh yeah, another thing that is important for me is being able to control the iPhone from the steering wheel buttons (since I have the hi-spec, non poverty MFSW). There might be adapters to do that with the Pioneer. Dunno.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Puggie
3rd Gear

Post by Puggie » Sat May 26, 2018 8:36 am

I have the pie-in-ear unit and the very plain asthetic means it looks OK in the dash. They play nice with apple phones, but android is a bit of a PITA, mirrorlink is so slow its barely useable, and doesn't support split screen. You really need a proper wired HDMI out if you are on Android, so something with MHL or usbc to hdmi. My old Sony xperia x is rubbish with it I'm going to try the wife's Samsung S9 and see if that will play nice when I get a chance. The other issue if you use the USB for video out, you may have power issues using if on long journeys. The old Sony xperia with their mag charging socket or something that does wireless charging would be best.

Edit, in response to the above post, pioneer use a resistive ladder on a 3.5mm jack for the remote, very easy to make up a remote, Sony wired remotes work with them too!

What is thus hi-spec steering wheel?
Last edited by Puggie on Sat May 26, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat May 26, 2018 8:47 am

Puggie wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:36 am
Edit, in response to the above post, pioneer use a resistive ladder on a 3.5mm jack for the remote, very easy to make up a remote, Sony remotes work with them too!
I had a remote once that you had to tie to the wheel with velcro. And a Sony one that had a lead running to the head unit. The former was useless and looked poo. The latter required a bit of thought for the installation, but worked really well.
Puggie wrote:
Factory 4 spoke, heated steering wheel with head unit controls and tiptro buttons. By far the best option on the RS6 and causes much jealousy amongst those who only have the boring 3 spoke wheel. You'll see them rear their ugly green heads in a minute. Image
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Ajc
4th Gear

Post by Ajc » Sat May 26, 2018 10:38 am

Puggie wrote:
Factory 4 spoke, heated steering wheel with head unit controls and tiptro buttons. By far the best option on the RS6 and causes much jealousy amongst those who only have the boring 3 spoke wheel. You'll see them rear their ugly green heads in a minute. Image
[/quote]
:assflash: :!: 4 spokes are for the ghay and confused :shock: , they are very grandpa spec for me . 3 spoke for the win , who needs heated hands :thumbs:
Cheers Al

04 c5 rs6 , Ebony Black, Bare shell repaint , Milltek's, PSS9's,Hotchkis Arb's,Gutted precats, hybrid turbos, Bosch 044 ,And an annoying EML light

benh999
3rd Gear

Post by benh999 » Sat May 26, 2018 1:56 pm

:evil: Damn you now I need this wheel :thumbs:

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Sat May 26, 2018 7:12 pm

Lots of good points above.

Speaking personally, my car came with lots of extras, but only RNSD. It also has (I think) the alcantara sports spec wheel, so no wheel controls.
I am mindful that from a purity perspective it’s no longer OEM, but then the list of non oem things on any of them now is extensive (intercoolers, coilovers, ARB etc).

So my goal has always been to have a useable car, and I thought (and still think) the pioneer unit is plain enough to be a good compromise. If I had RNS-E and wheel controls, my view may have been different, but not having had either, I dunno really.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Sun May 27, 2018 9:21 am

I have a Kenwood in mine. It's ok. Can't see the screen at all in sunlight though.

Car manufacturers are way behind the after market on functionality of head units. Their software update cycles will be a lot slower as well.

Are there any other later Audi units that might have the functionality and work maybe? Do any of the current RS6 units fit or current TT or RS8 ones?

https://smartworldcompany.com/audi-ente ... nit-guide/

The MMI ones sound the most advanced but it's whether you can fit them into the space.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Mon May 28, 2018 10:12 pm

Driving around today in bright sun, could see the pie-oh-near just fine.

srichards
4th Gear

Post by srichards » Tue May 29, 2018 8:32 am

I have a pioneer in my other car. I can see that fine in sun as well!

Rishie
Neutral

Post by Rishie » Tue May 29, 2018 11:52 am

I've just installed a Pioneer DA something or the other in my car and love it. Apple CarPlay is good and well, that's pretty much all you need! I've stuck a cheap 3 sim in my old iPhone and it's essentially a dedicated car phone. (Don't tend to answer phone when driving anyway)

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Wed May 30, 2018 7:29 am

I notice from their site that theres also now a sph-da130 available, which has DAB.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed May 30, 2018 7:58 am

Dab is great but it's a nightmare in retrofit scenarios.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Wed May 30, 2018 8:05 am

Oh. How come?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed May 30, 2018 9:16 am

Antenna issues. Dab signals are notoriously weak and cars with factory fit dab have elaborate and optimised antennas.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”