New kid on the block.

New to the forum? Say "hello"
Buddy Love
Neutral

New kid on the block.

Post by Buddy Love » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:05 pm

Hi guys. Names Buddy. Been a B8 RS5 owner for 2 years now. Until recently it's been the happiest motoring I've ever experienced (I'm a BMW M series convert lol).
I have now come across the first problem I've experienced with the car since I've owned it. The dreaded Gearbox malfunction!!

After several quotes ranging from 3k to 7k for a fix. I've decided to do the job myself. In the wise words of Jeremy Clarkson. "How hard can it be". I may live to regret it but only time will tell.

Symptoms of the car....very few tbh. Car drives as normal. No strange things to report about gear changes or any unusual sounds. Just an intermittent fault on the dashboard. Which has once caused the car to put itself in to neutral and not let me change(rather scary and embarrasing when on a busy road)

After a bit of research, it seems to me that the position sensor has failed, not the mechatronic unit. Though I am open to any and all suggestions as I may well be talking bo*****s.

Couple of repair options I am exploring. One will be to strip down and replace the position sensor and have the mechatronics reconned for good measure. Another is to replace entire gearbox with a used one, then slow time recondition mine and sell that one.

Biggest question I have so far is gearbox codes. I don't suppose anyone here could shine some light on the compatibility of different codes on my car? Could I use a different coded gearbox and programme it to my car?

Also any info from anyone that has done or experienced something similar will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance. And happy driving everyone

Buddy.

Return to “Welcome Area”