RS7 Engine seizure

New to the forum? Say "hello"
sportraider
Neutral

RS7 Engine seizure

Post by sportraider » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:43 am

Hi all,

Obviously a new member and hoping to get some help and advice. I know very little about engines so treat me kindly! My RS7 was misfiring and seemed that not all cylinders were running. I took it to a garage (not main dealer) but I have dealt with them for years. They eventually give me the news that one turbo is completely wrecked and the other on the way out. Same old problem as I have now read up on here - filter! The car also had stage 1 APR upgrade.

Anyway, two new turbos and £7,000 poorer I had the car back last week. Had it for 2 days and car completely dies on me. No warnings whatsoever. I called the same garage and they towed my car in. I have now just heard from the garage and the engine is seized. They cant crank it whatsoever its that tight.

Firstly, I am guessing my engine is completely destroyed or is there hope? Secondly, The garage said that if the problem was down to them and the turbo replacement then they would cover all costs.

So, anyone out there have any advice. I have seen a post were similar happened. Turns out the engine wasn't flushed out correctly from the previous parts of turbo.

very concerned so any help and advice would be appreciated. Thank you

morski
3rd Gear

Re: RS7 Engine seizure

Post by morski » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:01 pm

Wow £7k!! did they give you a breakdown of what they changed? £2300 each for a turbo unit plus a few seals/gaskets and oil change etc still leaves over £2k!! anyway.. does sound like the engine was not cleared of debris and depending how bad your old turbo detonated it will only be clear when its stripped own and checked.
The RS7 is known to have misfiring issues and can be down to a bad cylinder but depends on what codes it was showing.
If the repairing garage does the investigation then dont expect them to find anything imho.
As far as i know the engine needs flushing with quite a few oil changes and thats even without being let out of the workshop
Try posting on audizine as there are a quite a few rs7 owners there with engine issues even though they in the states. so you might more responses.
p.s £8-9K would have got you a complete lightly used engine. oh well
RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics & Lots more..
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:11 pm

Where abouts are you anyway??
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

sportraider
Neutral

Post by sportraider » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:26 pm

Hi morski,

I am in Devon. I just really don't know what to do as you are right - the garage is bound to say it wasn't down to them. I could get the car collected and looked at elsewhere but then I would have to pay for that and then rely on the legal system to claim against the garage. Absolute nightmare!

sportraider
Neutral

Post by sportraider » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:32 pm

ps. the £7k wasn't too far out. parts were £6,000 with VAT (with oil, filters etc etc) and then 18 hours labour.

Nige_RS4
Cruising

Post by Nige_RS4 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:40 pm

Maybe ask if an independent mechanic can be present for the strip down, or you if you know what you're looking for.
www.speedcams.co.uk

B5 2.7t S4 - gone
B5 2.7t RS4 - gone
Ed 30 Golf DSG - gone
A5 3.0tdi - gone within 12 months!
S3 2.0 tfsi - 6+ years, but now sold
2018 Golf R 7.5

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:44 pm

What i did mean to say was £7k is high as i have a trade account with TPS who supply the trade with the parts and you can get some hefty discounts on parts so factor that in and works out beneficial for the garage. and also ive heard you can get the whole job done for circa £5k but thats all done now...
How friendly is the garage? Are they willing to get it sorted and being sympathetic to the situation? As them if will still honour the repair if you get an independent assessment of the engine?
I think at the cost of a replacement engine its in their own interest to say it wasnt anything to do with the work they did on the turbos.
Either they will help you get sorted quickly and rectify the situation for your own benefit and their own for their reputation or its going to be a pain in the ass for you...
Even a replacement engine is not cheap but you can recoup some money from reselling your old turbos and the old engine as rebuilding the old one might have more issues again in the future if its not done properly
A6 BiTdi Avant

sportraider
Neutral

Post by sportraider » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:06 pm

I guess they have insurance against this kind of thing happening. Its a fairly large business and I do know the owner. Just going to have to rely on them being honest. So, in your view it is very likely that the engine is shot?

Return to “Welcome Area”