New to the forum? Say "hello"
jimjamjeroo
Neutral

New to rs4 b7, not sure if I have done the right thing

Post by jimjamjeroo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:13 pm

the TLDR:
bought audi at £15,500
dealer told me car isn't modified
I arrange insurance on a standard car and collect car, no doubt drove home illegally or voided if in an accident
Later read all information from previous owner to find car is modified
now get stung with extra £500+ on top of insurance premiums or face spending money putting car back to standard for sake of low insurance premiums :(
family seem to think car is worth less than I payed for because of modifications and that I should complain threatening to return car or demand compensation (although I disagree)

Hello all,

so yesterday I collected my new car, a 2006 rs4 avant B7 with 80,000 miles on the clock, i'm in a bit of a weird situation, im from Nottingham in the UK and I collected the car from lichfield from a dealer. I had checked over the car after reading a few guides on forums/YouTube etc to know what to look for on the car before buying, overall mechanically the car is in good condition
drc intact,rides really well, no obvious leaks from oil cooler etc,engine seems awesome no flat spots etc. theres a tiny paint bubble on the front of the bonnet but overall the paint condition is really good for a nearly 13 year old car and same goes for the interior, slight wear on the front seats but seems like a well looked after car

heres my issue, I never intended to have a modified car or modify the car myself in the long run, to me the exhaust didnt look standard (black tips, no flap inside) I asked the dealer while on a test drive is the car modified and he said no and then told me theres a a4 folder containing all the history of the car and that it "had money thrown at it", I took this this as a maintained at no expense spared statement, the dealer ratings on google and auto trader were also good so I didn't question further (like a mong I should of asked to see the history after the test drive but was all dewy eyed over the car and didn't think). I arranged insurance as if the car was unmodified, collected on saturday and drove the car home. Upon reading the information kept by the previous owner I find that the car has had a full exhaust system, cold air feed, and a stage 2 remap with all the work carried out at MRC Tuning including de-coke and dyno printouts(which in fairness they seem a very reputable tuning company and thats not my issue)

I payed just over £15,500 for the car which I think is a fair price even given the fact the car is modified because looking back at the service history and receipts the previous owner maintained the car really well. A certain family member seems to think "they've had your pants down" because its modified it would heavily devalue the car but I don't agree entirely and wondered what what other forum members might think, another issue that a few people have said is, because my insurance premium has gone up £500 to declare all the modifications, I should be complaining
to the dealer I bought the car from as they stated that the car isn't modified and there is no indication of any modifications on the car advert and as a result the car was miss sold to me, I could look at returning the car back to standard for the sake of insurance but would probably end up paying more for the cost of parts and labour etc, as for having to phone the dealer and complain or demand some sort of compensation is just a pain in the backside and i'm not even sure where it would get me or where I would stand with that sort of thing
after seeing insurance quotes go from £700 for the year up to £3000+ or not insuring me at all I really felt mislead, fortunately I managed to go with adrian flux who quoted me £1400 with all modifications declared but would charge me a silly excess if I was at fault in an accident.

overall I think the car is fantastic and I plan on keeping the car for a long time, I think the dealer should have better inspected their own stock and advertised the car in better detail and I have myself to blame for not asking to see more of the history.

hope this isn't an inappropriate place to post and I would like to get other users opinions on this situation,
Thanks for reading, James :blackrs4:
Attachments
54268023_10158598122457293_773368961122172928_o.jpg

Quango86
2nd Gear

Re: New to rs4 b7, not sure if I have done the right thing

Post by Quango86 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:50 pm

If the history is good then you have certainly not had your pants pulled down. For me looking for an rs4 I would see what it's got as a plus point. Surely you must have heard the non standard exhaust on the car at least? I paid 15 for mines but had an engine management light on and needed a new clutch and flywheel.
B7 saloon, koni Shocks and h and r springs, h and r spacers 8mm f+r, milltek non res with valves, milltek d/ps, k and n filter, full mrc carbon clean, mrc stage 2 with l/c and f/s 456bhp 522nm.

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:05 pm

Welcome along,

First of all I would tell your family member that he clearly knows fúck all about it in this situation. Second of all, I don’t really see the issue and I think you need to Shop around for insurance. I’m with Admiral and with all mods declared, it’s not that bad, not even half your quote.

You could try to return the car but at the end of the day, the folder was there for you to look at and up to you to do it or not. As said above, if the history is good and you are happy with it, keep it. If you really want a standard exhaust, pick one up for a few hundred and swap them, sell whatever is on it and you’ll be better off. Cold air feed and stage 2 could be reverted back to standard but I don’t really see the point.

Cheers :thumbs:

jimjamjeroo
Neutral

Post by jimjamjeroo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:21 pm

I appreciate the responses and I agree with what you said FrazerD, I love the car, it sounds epic and goes really well and the fact is, the work was carried out by a reputable tuning company and if I had gone down the route of any modifying myself I would of most likely done what has been done to the car anyway, I think its more of a situation of justifying the extra cost to the wife etc(shes not the one that moaned in fairness but it was a bit of a sting with the higher insurance) my previous car of choice was impreza and in fairness "unmolested" was often a few grand in difference in price compared to something tinkered with but then the circumstances on those cars are different chocolate piston rings and what not making people weary so I thought said family member may have a point in the modified/unmodified pricing, but overall judging the condition and drive of the car and all the history that came with it I think the price is good and just wanted to back that opinion up via this forum so I appreciate the advice

just out of interest then, nearly 10 years license claim free driving,3 years no claims bonus(was a named driver for most of the time), clean license in all my time driving. £1400 with all mods declared, think its worth me shopping around for a better quote before my 14 day period ends?

thanks for the help!

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:32 pm

Try a quote from Sky insurance - they’re good with mods.

Your “certain family member” clearly hasn’t a clue. An MRC stage 2 car is a desirable thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:23 am

I would Shop around for your insurance as you always should.

Cheers :thumbs:

AlexB7RS4
2nd Gear

Post by AlexB7RS4 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:15 am

If you plan on driving it and later selling it as a used vehicle rather than a low mile garage queen, then those mods are awesome.

If you're planning on garaging it away to appreciate and sell as a collectors car one day then original would be better, but as others have stated it's a few hundred bucks to take it back to standard and you'll probably profit if you sell the mods off.

Drive and enjoy it I say. Great car and I'd happily have those mods on mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimjamjeroo
Neutral

Post by jimjamjeroo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:16 pm

thanks for the responses guys, I shopped around today and after declaring all mods to admiral it only cost me £44 more than the original quote of £700 so tomorrow ill cancel the other policy of £1400 so thanks alot for the advice. Comparison websites can be a waste of time and some insurers really do take the p1ss

as for value and what not, I don't plan to sell the car or store it, it will be daily driven to work and will get thoroughly enjoyed, taken to meet ups and shows and hopefully even a track day or 2 eventually. waited 10 years of driving 2l diesels and small engined hatchbacks to finally get my hands on something that I wanted instead of something overly family orientated so thats what im going to do... enjoy it, its an awesome car!

again cheers, James

alex760
1st Gear

Post by alex760 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:50 pm

Sounds like you've done the right thing with insurance bud.
If you do decide you want to go back to a standard exhaust I have one sat in the garage that I'd be happy to swap/do a deal on.

If it were me in your shoes however I would just enjoy the car as is and as others have said a stage 2 MRC car is a positive in alot of people's eyes. :thumbs:

Return to “Welcome Area”