Rs4 B8 ceramic brakes

New to the forum? Say "hello"
The Gasman
Neutral

Rs4 B8 ceramic brakes

Post by The Gasman » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:50 am

Hello. New to this site so sorry if it’s not put in the right place. I’m looking at buying an rs4 b8 with ceramic discs. Oem fitment audi ceramic kit. Is this a good set up? I know they are and an expensive option from new and I know how much they are to replace 😬. should I sell them off for the standard set or stick with them.

Any advice. It’s a 2012 b8 rs4.
Many thanks.

zappy-chops
3rd Gear

Re: Rs4 B8 ceramic brakes

Post by zappy-chops » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Did you buy the car? Why would you want to take the ceramics off? Just to sell and make a bit of cash or are you worried about them (and replacement cost). I have ceramics on my C7 RS6 and they are awesome. Couldn't imagine the car without them frankly. I actually think they are better stoppers than the ceramics on my last 997 Turbo S. Unless you are planning lots of track days (which you would definitely want ceramics for), or the car has been tracked a lot in the past, or it has high miles, and assuming you get a decent inspection on the car and the brakes have plenty of life left in them, then I can't imagine you having any issues with them.
Currently running:
18 plate Lamborghini Huracan Performante (5.2l of V10 naturally aspirated craziness)
67 plate RS6 Performance (fully loaded)
66 plate Range Rover Autobiography (for wafting around)
16 plate Mini Cooper S convertible (lots of fun but rather skittish when thrashed)

Favourite car ever owned:
1971 Citroen DS21 - The Goddess (pure art on wheels)

The Gasman
Neutral

Post by The Gasman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:50 pm

The discs look a bit crazed, is that kinda normal? It’s only done 38000 miles. It’s been off the road for a long while as the guy worked offshore. Not sure what to expect as never owned a car with ceramics 🤷‍♂️
Attachments
5299EFF6-3FB4-407B-BA8A-242509F6A079.jpeg

zappy-chops
3rd Gear

Post by zappy-chops » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:41 pm

I'll try and remember to take a look at my own discs tomorrow and compare. My car only has 6000 miles so let's see.

Saying that, I've certainly seen crazing on other ceramic discs and it's pretty normal. Take a browse through google and you'll find forum entries on this from Porsche, Lambo etc. Most stuff I have read is that this is normal and the cracks are only microns deep and nothing to worry about. I read somewhere that when Lamborghini moved the production of their ceramics to Germany this crazing became common (especially around the drill holes - which seems to be the case in your pic). It's just a consequence of the manufacturing process and nothing to worry about is what I read.
Currently running:
18 plate Lamborghini Huracan Performante (5.2l of V10 naturally aspirated craziness)
67 plate RS6 Performance (fully loaded)
66 plate Range Rover Autobiography (for wafting around)
16 plate Mini Cooper S convertible (lots of fun but rather skittish when thrashed)

Favourite car ever owned:
1971 Citroen DS21 - The Goddess (pure art on wheels)

The Gasman
Neutral

Post by The Gasman » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:08 am

Ahh that reassuring. Yea Post a pic. 👍

ahoooga
5th Gear

Post by ahoooga » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:31 pm

I get chance to play with two F type Jags with ceramics at work , and they look similar to yours.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:13 pm

Wear rate looks fine. I think some harsh chemicals have been used a fair bit on them, from looking at the rusty pad carrier and disc bobbins. I'd try to avoid spraying any wheel cleaners/fallout removers/strong APC solutions on to any disc and calliper for this reason alone.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Return to “Welcome Area”