About to purchase my first RS6 - A C7 performance.....

New to the forum? Say "hello"
Holmsfree
1st Gear

About to purchase my first RS6 - A C7 performance.....

Post by Holmsfree » Thu May 31, 2018 6:02 pm

Evening all,

I am about to post something that must have been covered a number of times, so apologies in advance, I am new to rs246.

Having chosen between a shortlist of an E63s, Alpina B5 and Panamera Turbo, I am diving into the world of RS6 C7 ownership (Performance version).

During my research, I have arrived at the following conclusions:
* If I want a towbar (for bike rack only), I need to avoid DRC, sport exhaust and carbon
* The adaptive cruise control is adaptive only, ie is does not have a "normal" cruise control function

In addition to the points above:
* What are the forum views on winter wheels and tyres?
* Is there anything else I should know?

Many thanks and apologies again for subject matter that I am sure is not new.

PS car will be in the UK - Thank you!!
RS6 Performance Edition - Daytona Grey - 2016
Golf R - Deep Black - 5 door, DSG - 2016
X5 40d - Sapphire Black, 7 seats - 2011
VFR800F - Silver - 1997. In many years, only miles is to and from the MOT centre

skirs6
5th Gear

Re: About to purchase my first RS6 - A C7 performance.....

Post by skirs6 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Hi and welcome👍 As your research has shown tow bar/bike mount only available on air. Can’t comment on adaptive cruise I only have standard cruise.
Winter wheels depends on where you live? I’m about as far south as you can get near Brighton hence I have never bothered.
These are fantastic cars for absolutely everything and I’m saying that even though I had a catasrophic engine failure soon after purchase. I’m a cyclist but actually put all the bikes in the car to go racing. Unfortunately I couldn’t afford a performance when I purchased mine. There is not much that goes wrong with these. I think I was just unlucky but with new engine I’m happy again.👍

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:39 pm

Winter tyres on the normal 21s or on the full fat 20s are fine in my opinion. Personally I don't see the need to go for a set of skinny winter wheels and tyres in the UK though.

As said above, if you want a factory fit tow bar you have to avoid DRC cars. And as you've noted, the carbon rear diffuser doesn't have a cut out for the tow bar. However, I don't see any correlation between tow bar and sports exhaust other than you can pick Dynamic Package and tow bar due to DRC but no reason why you can't spec sports exhaust and tow bar without the Dynamic Package.

And lastly, why would you want adaptive cruise and use normal cruise? Surely the car slowing down rather than hitting it or forcing you to come our of cruise is better?

Holmsfree
1st Gear

Post by Holmsfree » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:22 pm

skirs6 wrote:Hi and welcomeImage As your research has shown tow bar/bike mount only available on air. Can’t comment on adaptive cruise I only have standard cruise.
Winter wheels depends on where you live? I’m about as far south as you can get near Brighton hence I have never bothered.
These are fantastic cars for absolutely everything and I’m saying that even though I had a catasrophic engine failure soon after purchase. I’m a cyclist but actually put all the bikes in the car to go racing. Unfortunately I couldn’t afford a performance when I purchased mine. There is not much that goes wrong with these. I think I was just unlucky but with new engine I’m happy again.Image

Thank you skirs6, much appreciated. We have an Atera 4 bike for family bike trips and summer holidays - cracking bit of kit.
Sorry to hear about the engine, but glad it hasn’t sullied your relationship.
We’re in Berkshire do not too much further north!! But I do a dew winter trips to Scotland each year and also skiing, hence the winter tyres question.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
VFR800F - Silver - 1997. In many years, only miles is to and from the MOT centre

Holmsfree
1st Gear

Post by Holmsfree » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:35 pm

Thanks Mike, that is helpful.
With you on the winter tyres, I’m thinking a second set of wheels and tyres similar in size to OEM summers.
Regarding the adaptive cruise control, good question. I have it on my GolfR. Broadly it works ok in situations such camera controlled roadworks on motorway with 50mph limit. Beyond that, it cannot cope with high speed motorway cruise as it is set up so conservatively. It routinely misses objects big and small. And lastly, I’ve had 2 false alarms in which the GolfR braked heavily in the outside lane of the M4, almost causing me to be rear ended.
Therefore, when I started my search I decided I didn’t want adaptive cruise control unless it had a “normal” mode. Interestingly, at least to me, this is the case on all of my shortlist so there must be some logic to it.

Thanks again.

Euan

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:45 pm

I think the adaptive on the RS6 works better than what you descibe on the Golf. Obviously if someone pulls out in front of you when going a lot faster than them you might need to intervene but other than that it works pretty well. And the brake guard that comes with it is also useful (although can be easily fooled). Obviously if I am pressing on I don't use it but in average speed areas and when following cars in traffic, both crawling or faster, it can be really useful.

Holmsfree
1st Gear

Post by Holmsfree » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:58 pm

MikeFish wrote:I think the adaptive on the RS6 works better than what you descibe on the Golf. Obviously if someone pulls out in front of you when going a lot faster than them you might need to intervene but other than that it works pretty well. And the brake guard that comes with it is also useful (although can be easily fooled). Obviously if I am pressing on I don't use it but in average speed areas and when following cars in traffic, both crawling or faster, it can be really useful.
Perhaps true. But it is very difficult to ascertain on a test drive how well it works in all situations, hence enquiringly about a normal mode.
All I know is that in 30k miles in 2 GolfRs there has only been a handful of times I have preferred adaptive cruise control. When the Golf comes up for replacement, I’ll get something else purely on this basis (it is standard, not optional), most likely an S3.
And at this stage, I would prefer not to take the risk with my new RS6 shaped toy. Which is a shame, as there is a lovely specced Daytona Grey RS6 at Lake District Audi but sadly it’s off shortlist as it has ACC!!

Many thanks

Euan

Holmsfree
1st Gear

Post by Holmsfree » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:51 pm

E567A13F-2A62-4277-AA75-DAEF4E31AF2D.jpg
AACE1CE5-63EA-432C-93CB-7C8CD483D44F.jpg
0F0BFAC5-024B-450E-9E1A-4106FD36F4CB.jpg
FD044F07-1A94-4D03-A5CF-4C24868F3E3C.jpg
0A4CE58C-6AB7-45A7-9A90-45E8D053461B.jpg
Evening guys,

After your help and advice I wanted to give you an update on my RS6 PE.
* Bought from Southampton Audi at start of July. Test drive poor but sales process ok
* Took on family holiday to Spain. Fully loaded, it was superb on the peage with mpg ~6mpg worse than my wife’s X5 40d which seems fair. Couldn’t spank it too hard as had bike rack on the ff towbar
* Looking forward to some road trips.......have lined up Scotland, Wales and Alps so far.

Many thanks again for your help.

Euan

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:19 pm

Congrats, that looks lovely. I assume that is a Performance with the jelly non performance wheels? The trim looks like titanium so guessing it is in fact a Performance.

Your car does a good job of highlighting a bug bear of mine on later cars; look at the arch gap on the rear compared to the front. Massive difference made even more obvious when you lower it 40mm and the front is literally dragging on the floor.

Holmsfree
1st Gear

Post by Holmsfree » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:27 am

It is a performance edition, and I really like the incognito combo of titanium trim with Daytona, plus it is debadged which I like.

And I know what you mean about the arch gap. It really confused me initially, especially when I had the bike rack on to go to Spain.
Having played around, I actually think that the pictures from Southampton Audi are on the "raised suspension setting", but with only the rear raised (if this is even possible). As I look out of the window at the car, the rear is sitting much lower and looks much the better for it.

Equally, I am no techie so I could be talking rot.

I'll keep posting.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:03 pm

Oh is it on air? If so should sit level. Cars with air have level sensors on each corner of the car to ensure they stay level. This can be adjusted with the right software though.

Return to “Welcome Area”