RS7 - Rear Calipers name plate Mod

New to the forum? Say "hello"
Ashventini
Neutral

RS7 - Rear Calipers name plate Mod

Post by Ashventini » Fri May 25, 2018 10:19 pm

Gents. I know this has been covered I limited discussion before. I am a new owner of a 2015 RS7 in Mythos Black. Had it 2 weeks and am learning about the various things and options it has or hasn't more relevantly. So the rear name plates that my black calliper does not have. I seen all the debates about drilling the holes and fitting the kit. Also people talking about grinding off the lugs and bonding them on (I don't like the sound of that and it must create some issue with pad maintenance?).

Anyone have some experience after doing the mod - after a car has been used for a while and how are the plates - any issues?

I have bought the kit and am probably going to drill the calliper's in situ. I will create a template for this. I will then Centre Punch to ensure the position is correct. I suppose the angle is important to watch... Any advise from those who have done this or does anyone think bonding is a better way? I am really interested in the process of drilling, what to be careful of, tips to make it easier etc, size of drill and depth etc....

As I'm having my car detailed soon (which involves having the callipers re-painted in Ferrari yellow - on a black car) I want this mod as the callipers will drawn attention - hence wanting to improve the appearance of that rear.

I'm newbie so any help is appreciated.

Ash

skirs6
5th Gear

Re: RS7 - Rear Calipers name plate Mod

Post by skirs6 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:40 pm

Ash
I had this done on my C6 and now my C7 it’s really worth doing just make sure the drill bit is good quality. I used a template. On my C7 I also put a bit of metal filler in black around the edges. I’ll post up a coup,e of pics tomorrow. Well worth doing for little expense 👍

Ashventini
Neutral

Post by Ashventini » Fri May 25, 2018 11:25 pm

skirs6 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:40 pm
Ash
I had this done on my C6 and now my C7 it’s really worth doing just make sure the drill bit is good quality. I used a template. On my C7 I also put a bit of metal filler in black around the edges. I’ll post up a coup,e of pics tomorrow. Well worth doing for little expense 👍
Great. exactly the sort of info that is really useful. If you can explain what you mean about the metal filler in black around the edges.. dont quite understand that part. Maybe its the edge where they sit and dont have that edge to butt up to that are on the red callipers? What type of filler...

Anyway.. I have got the kit and have a good idea, but of course your knowledge of do's and don'ts is really helpful.. 10mm I think? Depth? Did you start with a smaller drill bit and then go to 10mm or straight in with a good drill 10mm bit?

That sort of stuff. Look forward to the pics.
Have you has any problems with them or are they solid in use?

You buys these cars and start moding them staight away.. not what id planned but i guess you learn stuff from day 1.. stuff you cant know before you buy an RS.

Its getting a Milltek tomoz as its a little tame sounding.... LOL... compared to my last 2 cars. C63 and Maserati GranTurismo..

Cheers
Thanks again

Ash

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat May 26, 2018 5:33 pm

From memory the rear calipers are relatively cheap. Obviously a lot more than the cost of the plates but if you are concerned about drilling them it's an alternative option. Personally I'd rather buy them than drill them.

dhali
4th Gear

Post by dhali » Sat May 26, 2018 7:05 pm

make a template out of thin cardboard ( I used the box they came in ) Flip plate over and press down so the two lugs make indentations in the cardboard. 10mm drill bit through the holes . Push plate lugs through holes and draw round it and cut out .Tape template over caliper and you have your position for the holes . I started using a smaller bit and stepped up to a 10mm in the caliper .

Ashventini
Neutral

Post by Ashventini » Sat May 26, 2018 9:39 pm

great advice. I think buying the red pre-drilled ones is quite wasteful in my opinion. just seems a bit excessive. im fairly capable so I will follow the advice on the template, thanks guys

skirs6
5th Gear

Post by skirs6 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:59 pm

Not the best pic but you can see the black filler around the edge as obviously there is no recess 👍
92F9C008-5FCA-4805-AC62-7E70A2AFC7A0.jpeg

Ashventini
Neutral

Post by Ashventini » Sun May 27, 2018 8:50 pm

skirs6 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:59 pm
Not the best pic but you can see the black filler around the edge as obviously there is no recess 👍

Thanks. I can see the filler. Looks like quite a lot of it which makes me wonder why so much? Does the plate not sit flush to the calliper? I know there is no recess (Ridge the shape of the top of plate) for it to "butt up" to but this amount of filler suggest it needs a lot because it doesn't sit flat? My calliper are not going to be kept black. I am having them done in Ferrari yellow - so I don't want a load of back filler visable.

Thanks for the photo. If you can give me some insight as to why this filer was needed. Your look fine BTW as you have stayed black..! which im not going to.

Ashventini
Neutral

Post by Ashventini » Sun May 27, 2018 8:52 pm

skirs6 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:59 pm

And also does this mean they are now bonded and not removable? Do you need to remove to replace pads etc?

dhali
4th Gear

Post by dhali » Mon May 28, 2018 10:17 am

It 'maybe ' OK to bond these on the cars with the electronic park brake as you have to use Vagcom to wind the piston back so no requirement of a brake piston windback tool ?

A20LEE
4th Gear

Post by A20LEE » Mon May 28, 2018 1:22 pm

I drilled and tapped mine, attached with a pair of small cap-heads. I didn’t fancy drilling two 10mm holes in the caliper as there’s not a lot of meat there, and personally felt it was going to weaken the caliper on my C6.
Attachments
A871E76C-323B-42EF-B18F-1BC52C3ED390.jpeg

Ashventini
Neutral

Post by Ashventini » Mon May 28, 2018 3:13 pm

A20LEE wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 1:22 pm
I drilled and tapped mine, attached with a pair of small cap-heads. I didn’t fancy drilling two 10mm holes in the caliper as there’s not a lot of meat there, and personally felt it was going to weaken the caliper on my C6.
what size did you drill M6? What depth? I was thinking 6mm... Also did you use thin head cap head bolts or is there enough clearance with normal thickness bolt heads?

Thanks

A20LEE
4th Gear

Post by A20LEE » Mon May 28, 2018 6:42 pm

Think I used 3mm and drilled in 4mm

skirs6
5th Gear

Post by skirs6 » Mon May 28, 2018 9:02 pm

I did the same on my C6 and sold it after 3years with the plates still on. I thought the same, drilling a 10mm hole would weaken the caliper. My C6 had 750bhp and that took some hard braking to stop with no issues. The C7 is standard with a mere 570 bhp😢😢

Ashventini
Neutral

Post by Ashventini » Mon May 28, 2018 9:44 pm

skirs6 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:02 pm
I did the same on my C6 and sold it after 3years with the plates still on. I thought the same, drilling a 10mm hole would weaken the caliper. My C6 had 750bhp and that took some hard braking to stop with no issues. The C7 is standard with a mere 570 bhp😢😢
Hi. I am leaning towards this way also.

Do you remember what size bolt you used.? I am looking at an M4 - 10mm length. So it will sit screwed in about 8mm as it sits on top of the plate. Obviously the smaller the screw size (M3, M4, M5, M6) means a smaller head sitting on the plate. Going to small I am thinking the thread may be too fine and strip.

My gut tells me to go with M4 thread (black gloss anodized so it wont be too noticeable on the black plate).

Thanks.

Return to “Welcome Area”